Some thoughts on Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

JasonRothman

White Belt
Reaction score
I recommended betting on Junior, and I was very wrong about this fight. I predicted that Junior would most likely be able to fend off Cain

I found it interesting JDS' corner telling him to go out there and show your heart. I was expecting better advice from his corner.

You are wrong when you said Cain has no holes in his game. He has no submission game, and cannot fight off of his back.

You are wrong when you said Cain has no holes in his game. He has no submission game, and cannot fight off of his back.

He actually put up a nice arm bar attempt off his back, which got JDS attention. I wish he had more of a offensive submission game tho, not only in this fight but in a few of his other fights their seemed to be openings for a submission attempt.

Cain executed a perfect gameplan. He spammed with TDs in the beginning of the fight to get JDS to focus completely on grappling/defending the TD, then loaded up on a big punch and badly hurt JDS. That changed the entire fight. I don't think JDS' cardio is as bad as everyone says, he was still defending takedowns even in the latter rounds of the fight. I just don't understand why JDS doesn't work on his striking defense... it's almost non-existent and I knew it would end up screwing him over and it did. A lot of people underestimated Cain... the dude is a beast.

Also, does JDS still train with Anderson and Team Nog?

He actually put up a nice arm bar attempt off his back, which got JDS attention. I wish he had more of a offensive submission game tho, not only in this fight but in a few of his other fights their seemed to be openings for a submission attempt.

Well he only went for the armbar because there was a huge opening for it. He wouldn't force the armbar. A lot of people are confused why Cain doesn't try to take the back of his opponents and get the RNC. As a wrestler and being a big guy, I know why cain does what he does. Being bigger it is much easier to get reversed and lose position when you have the guys back. And Cain has wrestled his whole life so he is doing what he has practiced for years, Iowa leg ride, 2 on 1, and wrist control. Textbook wrestling basically.

if you're a hater, hate on - but he mentionid in the post fight prsser that his straegy was to stay on top and make junior hold his weight and tire him out - i took that to mean that he wanted to stay on top and not risk losing position early and just do damage instead - he did a sht ton of damage

If his standup defense is weak enough for him to get repeatedly popped on the chin then he will be ko'd by someone in the not too distant future.

Aggressive Cain mixing it up looks damn near invincible, given his TD credentials.

if you're a hater, hate on - but he mentionid in the post fight prsser that his straegy was to stay on top and make junior hold his weight and tire him out - i took that to mean that he wanted to stay on top and not risk losing position early and just do damage instead - he did a sht ton of damage

Not a hater at all. I am a big cain fan, and was one of the few that was rooting for him in this last fight. But to say he has no holes is just not true. But having holes in your game is common. Every great fighter has holes. The only one that had the least amount of holes was Fedor, he could submit from top or bottom, had vicious GnP, great judo/sambo takedowns, and was a technical brawler on the feet. Go ahead Dana white worshippers, bring on the "LOL DUDE FEDOR SUX BALLZ BECUZ HE DID NOT FITE IN THE UFC EVEN UNCLE DANA SAID HE SUCKED SO HE FUKN SUX BRO".

Back