Some serious advice needed for a beautiful lady friend of mine

Bizz

cbjerrisgaard
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a friend who needs dietary advice for training.

She is about to have her first AM boxing match and may move into AM MMA very soon.

Vitals:

23, 5'5", 120lbs, Female

Training Schedule:

Monday: 5:30 - 7:00 Boxing & 7:15 - 8:45 No Gi
Tuesday: 6:00 - 7:00 Muay Thai & 7:15 - 8:45 BJJ
Wednesday: 5:30 - 7:00 Boxing & 7:15 - 8:45 No Gi
Thursday: 6:00 - 7:00 Muay Thai & 7:15 - 8:45 BJJ
Friday: 5:30 - 7:00 Boxing
Saturday: 11:00 - 12:00 Muay Thai & 2:00 - 4:00 Boxing
Sunday: Yet to be determined, figure something inline with the rest of the days

Daily Supplements:

1 multi vitamin, 1 vitamin C, 3 flaxseed oil, 3 salmon oil, 1 calmag, 1 glutamine after workout

Day of diet for example purposes:

8am: 1 scrambled egg, with 1 slice of low-fat processed cheese & 1 strip of bacon on a small whole wheat English muffin with a bowl of low-fat blueberry yogurt and a cup of green tea

9am: bowl of oatmeal & another cup of green tea

12pm: one smoked turkey sandwich with light-mayo & lettuce on whole wheat bread, with 2 mandarin oranges & a glass of water

3pm: 4 pieces of raw cauliflower with ranch dip

5pm: 1 protein shake taken with low fat soymilk

7pm: 1 mandarin orange

9pm: 1 protein shake w/ low fat soymilk

11.24pm: 1 mandarin orange (lol)

Some times she steps it up with two sandwiches and a couple of boiled eggs mixed in throughout the day.

Goal:

Simply be able to make it through the week and not burn out. She wants to be healthy while training at what I consider a heroic level. That said I do believe her boxing coach would like to see her at 114lbs fight weight but she is less concerned about that.

Needless to say I do not believe she is getting enough cals in general and that is why she is burning out (well aside from the Nazi like training schedule her team has her on). Training less wont be an option, anyway I thought I would turn to the experts who kick started my training in a fantastic way.

Speaking of things are going great for me, I haven

is she like a full-time fighter who doesnt have a day job? cause that schedule looks hellish.

Three frozen burrito's for extra cal's , this will end burnout indefinetly.

*bump*

Lookin for some advice from the King haha

All she's surviving on through the afternoon and evening is protein shakes and oranges? I'm no expert but that looks like a recipe for disaster, especially when combined with a punishing schedule.

I'll leave the details to someone who knows more, but it looks like she needs more proper meals rather than just snacks and shakes.

My advice:

Have her get her own account. We need more females around these parts. lol

I'll take a better look at it later this evening.

She's going to need a healthy supply of roughage.

Chad hit the nail on the head Bizz. Again, this is typical of what I see from most younger males in this forum. Nowhere near enough green vegetables and too much emphasis on fruit particularly. Fruit is good but it's essentially sugar, which only goes but so far.

Plus, she might be overtraining JUST a tad. If she's only am amateur I'm assuming she has a day job or something of the like to sustain a living? Unless she has ample time in the day to get adequate rest for such a strenuous training schedule she could just be exhausted with her body not getting enough rest to recover properly, thus perpetuating the feeling of exhaustion. On that free Sunday of hers I would do nothing. NOTHING. I would do LESS than nothing. No phone calls, no errands, tell everyone to go fuck themselves and REST. Give the body time to recooperate. And for this kind of training AT LEAST 7 hours of in-interrupted sleep per night is MANDATORY. Else you run into a World of hurt.

In the morning she should do an egg omelette. Maybe 6 egg whites and two whole eggs. Yes I know it sounds like a lot but egg whites are about 4g of protein and from the look of things she's not getting enough protein in the morning.

I also agree with Funkster that another meal of real food should be intaken in the evening, just a smart one. She seems to have a pretty good idea what foods are beneficial and which ones are not.

A lot of guys might have a bunch of ignorant crap to say about female fighters, but my veiwpoint is they should be treated, trained, and live like FIGHTERS, not like "female" fighters. And going on that it just doesn't look like she's getting enough actual calories to sustain that good of a training schedule.

Also, if I were her I'd choose between Boxing and MMA and stick with that decision for a period of time. Both are completely different Worlds with very different goals and methods to achieve those goals. Attempting to compete in both at once isn't really a good idea because it will be VERY difficult to maximize performance in each at different moments. Do one for a period of time, do the other, pick one to stick with.

As usual King you are the man,

I linked her to the thread and she is reading it as I write this...

as for her joining sherdog well thats in her hands now haha

King Kabuki said:
Chad hit the nail on the head Bizz. Again, this is typical of what I see from most younger males in this forum. Nowhere near enough green vegetables and too much emphasis on fruit particularly. Fruit is good but it's essentially sugar, which only goes but so far.

Plus, she might be overtraining JUST a tad. If she's only am amateur I'm assuming she has a day job or something of the like to sustain a living? Unless she has ample time in the day to get adequate rest for such a strenuous training schedule she could just be exhausted with her body not getting enough rest to recover properly, thus perpetuating the feeling of exhaustion. On that free Sunday of hers I would do nothing. NOTHING. I would do LESS than nothing. No phone calls, no errands, tell everyone to go fuck themselves and REST. Give the body time to recooperate. And for this kind of training AT LEAST 7 hours of in-interrupted sleep per night is MANDATORY. Else you run into a World of hurt.

In the morning she should do an egg omelette. Maybe 6 egg whites and two whole eggs. Yes I know it sounds like a lot but egg whites are about 4g of protein and from the look of things she's not getting enough protein in the morning.

I also agree with Funkster that another meal of real food should be intaken in the evening, just a smart one. She seems to have a pretty good idea what foods are beneficial and which ones are not.

A lot of guys might have a bunch of ignorant crap to say about female fighters, but my veiwpoint is they should be treated, trained, and live like FIGHTERS, not like "female" fighters. And going on that it just doesn't look like she's getting enough actual calories to sustain that good of a training schedule.

Also, if I were her I'd choose between Boxing and MMA and stick with that decision for a period of time. Both are completely different Worlds with very different goals and methods to achieve those goals. Attempting to compete in both at once isn't really a good idea because it will be VERY difficult to maximize performance in each at different moments. Do one for a period of time, do the other, pick one to stick with.

first off i was scared to register being a female & all, wasn't sure of what kind of responses i'd get haha

secondly thank you.

& thirdly i would like to point out i do not train NEARLY as much as the above stated, i usually train 4-5 days a week, for about 3hrs a day. but since i've got a fight coming up next month & this is how i WOULD like to train thus the question about what i should be eating if im training this much. it is very difficult for me to eat in the evening because as you guessed, i do have a full time job, i get off work & immediately go to the gym. there's no way i can train on a full stomach, therefore ruling out eating dinner before training. after training i am STARVING and i will make a meal which i end up eating around 10pm & i go to bed at 11/12. i dont know if its an old wives tale, but i heard its not good to eat before you sleep. so most of the time i will go to bed with simply having consumed a protein shake. i try to snack all throughout the day which makes me less hungry & which is also why im not eating a lot of "meals".

i have no intentions of competing boxing & mma at the same time. i enjoy training both boxing & mma & i dont think the different styles are hindering any of my techniques. ive done bjj tournaments. now ill try a boxing fight...see how i like it. maybe mma down the road...

now what about supplements? anything i should/shouldnt be taking?

Gotcha, all is good. This is why I wanted you to have your own account here because it's easier than relaying information.

In terms of the supplements, there are other things you could take but your list looks decent enough to me. A lot of people overdo it with supplements because realistically they eat decently enough (even in this country). Your weight sounds like you're not in much need of a fat burner, and the only thing I can think of that might benefit you would be something to enhance recovery. When recommending for that I usually go with Cytomax by Cytosport, or their new creatine supplement called Fast Twitch, which is getting very good feedback.

In terms of the eating before bed. Every article I've ever read on the subject (because I myself am a notorious night-eater) says that while it CAN be dangerous because insulin sensitivity is higher at night, most people who are characteristic of night-eaters do not have this problem because they are cognizant of their caloric intake for the rest of the day and it ends up balancing out.

So, as long as you're cognizant of your caloric intake, don't worry about it. But I would say it would be a good idea for your night shake to be casein based. It has more benefits to use before sleep than Whey.

Don't be worried about the elevated levels of testosterone flying around this place. ;)

There's quite a few females who get along just fine including one who is training to be a Pro Wrestler. Everyone who loves fighting is welcome here. And particularly in THIS forum everyone who loves eating (and eating clean moreso) is welcome.

The suggestions i would make would be to try and make sure youre getting around 8hrs sleep a night...eat about 30mins after training and to cut youre training down a little as you get closer to the fight..

King Kabuki said:
So, as long as you're cognizant of your caloric intake, don't worry about it. But I would say it would be a good idea for your night shake to be casein based. It has more benefits to use before sleep than Whey.

I take my whey protein shake before training as well & i was told you absorb whey protein much more quickly (20 - 40 minutes), as opposed to 3 - 4 hours with casein?

RickoOodlez said:
Do you have any pictures of her?

bikini.jpg

not my best picture

She has the weight advantage. I was banned because I posted pics of hot chicks.

lol see like I said beautiful

I take my whey protein shake before training as well & i was told you absorb whey protein much more quickly (20 - 40 minutes), as opposed to 3 - 4 hours with casein?

Casein is better to take before/while you sleep because the slow absorption will allow your muscles to feed on the protein throughout the night rather than glycogen stores and then even further, breaking down muscle tissue for aminos. You'll wake up better prepared to transition from catabolic to anabolic using the casein. Better beneficial for night-use.

King Kabuki said:
Casein is better to take before/while you sleep because the slow absorption will allow your muscles to feed on the protein throughout the night rather than glycogen stores and then even further, breaking down muscle tissue for aminos. You'll wake up better prepared to transition from catabolic to anabolic using the casein. Better beneficial for night-use.

Thus whey pre work out and casein post?

Back