• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Some experts worry mask wearing may be causing language development problems in kids

Sticking kids in front of phones and tablets has ruined language development for everyone born after 2000.

BWlK31hIgAAnx3z.jpg

Yes, kids are so resilient that CDC is needing to change developmental milestones…

<JagsKiddingMe>

What a weird hill to die on, is the TDS or something?

i'm saying it's a moot point for the vast majority of kids

you go ahead and continue being chicken little

You restrict natures process then developing bodies won't develop naturally? Sai it ain't so!

Give it a few years when studies will show that masking growing bodies had negative effects on the body and brains, then maybe some of these retards will admit they fucked up.

i'm saying it's a moot point for the vast majority of kids

you go ahead and continue being chicken little
You can't even admit when proven blatantly wrong, pathetic... and your swift transition to red-herrings and gaslighting is equally transparent.

"wHat DOes It eVEn matTeR aT thIs poInt?!"

<DisgustingHHH>

The majority of schools no longer have mask mandates. They are optional.
"Optional"

kids not wearing masks are shamed into wearing them

"Optional"

one of the teachers at my local PRIVATE SCHOOL gives out masks as "prizes"

I love how it's the illiterate faction of society that is up in arms over this.

Seems like a plausible idea but given how much bad data and how many shaky claims the COVID skeptic crowd has pushed I'd have to see some good data to believe it.

It seems that we're past the point of needing mask mandates anyway so no need to keep making the kids mask up regardless of whether this claim is true or not. I still mask up in public but that's mainly because there are some establishments that are behind the curve and still mandate them so I keep one in my back pocket just in case.

Totally man, we should all be just fine with unscientific ham-fisted policies harming our children.

Derp!
Yes, you and everyone else here are pillars of the scientific community and wake up every morning looking for ways to increase the quality of pedagogy for children everywhere <Lmaoo>

Yea its the masks, not the all day playing video games talking to people named xxTurtleassxx and Snipercrotch.
Acting like these little dummies were social butterflies before that. Bullshit.

Lol at wanting studies for anything now. Do we need a study to tell us the sky is blue this morning.

This is just your way to discount everything around us that we see happening. It's a way of excusing things that should not be happening.
Big clIns require big supporting data.

Public health officials were faced with a new virus they knew very little about and had to act in accordance to the available data they had. There wasn't much at the beginning and conventional wisdom at the time did have them withhold any mask wearing recommendation because they were afraid masks could cause more harm than good (people touching the masks to put on and remove, then cross-contaminate their hands and absorb the virus afterward). Then they realized that danger was not present, and that the virus is transported in droplets mostly from speech, coughing etc, but that transmission through fomites was very minimal. So the mask mandate was introduced. It wasn't perfect because they realized well after that surgical masks worked very well whereas single clothed masks were pretty useless. At this point they had difficulty getting people to wear any mask at all, they weren't going to enforce what kind of mask people were allowed to wear. No one knew how long the pandemic would last. The issue relating to delayed speech development became a popular subject much later in the pandemic, but I remember my boss' clinic was using the masks quite early on. I know the daycare my kids used to go to also had them for a while. I just think the issue is being blown out of proportion until we know more about the effects, and whether we really screwed the pooch. The point I'm trying to make is we were building the plane while already in the air. We didn't have the luxury of time to commission a bunch of studies on who should wear a mask and who shouldn't. We know kids can carry the virus and give it to daycare workers, or introduce the virus into the homes where immunocompromised people reside, and so tit was easier, and probably safer, to roll out a mandate as quickly and simply as possible.
This is where I disagree. It was only the CDC for a small window that said masks were not needed at all. That fact changed very quickly. Basically schools were canceled as well during that period, which meant no in person student interaction. We did get in for very early on stating that zoom classes were basically crap abs learning on some cases went to a crawl or zero. If they had the effort to research zoom they has the ability to research masks.
Imho this pandemic has shown the rot that exists in many institutions, most people say around waiting to be told what to do. When told they never questioned it and never considered there should be questions asked or that alternatives should be presented

This makes sense but it does seem like it would require a level of neglect at home.

First, I think that people underestimate greatly just how much of the total verbal and social interaction that a kid experiences in the course of a regular day takes place at school.

But more importantly, I think people underestimate greatly just how much neglect there is out there. These are children. Are we really supposed to feel better about the fact that the ones who suffer most from educational policy are the ones who experience the most neglect at home?

That's par for the course. For me, at least, it's hardly a soothing thought.

Seems like a plausible idea but given how much bad data and how many shaky claims the COVID skeptic crowd has pushed I'd have to see some good data to believe it.

It seems that we're past the point of needing mask mandates anyway so no need to keep making the kids mask up regardless of whether this claim is true or not. I still mask up in public but that's mainly because there are some establishments that are behind the curve and still mandate them so I keep one in my back pocket just in case.

I mean, fair... but the "data" in favour of mask mandates for kids is every bit as "shaky."

Back