solo drills

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by wallsac, Jul 21, 2005.

1. wallsac

wallsac Orange Belt

Does anyone have any BJJ drills you can do on your own? I am not going to be attending classes for a couple of months and would like to work some technique if possible...
    Right now I am just doing cardio and flexibility stuff- is there anything else that can help with grappling when I don't have a grappling partner or class?

Thanks for any input!

2. jpark4

jpark4 Yellow Belt

Dummy!..i mean get a grappling dummy. Yoga perhaps? maybe even palates....i might start that stuff soon, i heard a lot of high school chicks take it :) (don't worry, i'm 17....not 71)
    -Jon

3. Corey123

Corey123 Guest

A grappling dummy is good but it won't really matter if you're someone training 3+ times a week you won't really need it and it's also very expensive.

Anyways, back to the thread starter....

If you have ever been a wrestler then you'll know alot of takedown drills to do. If not, then here is a website with some BJJ and wrestling drills to do. http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/bjj/fbdrills.html

4. Combatchaz**

Combatchaz** Yellow Belt

Lockflow.com Stephan Kesting's "Grappling Drill's" has some goos solo drills on it. you can read my complete review at Lockflow.com

5. jiujitsujayhawk

jiujitsujayhawk Yellow Belt

That's a tough one. I would suggest practicing shrimping against a wall with a dummy on top of you. Stretching your hips will really help.
    A weight lifting exercise I like is to lay flat on your back with your arms above your head at a 90. Using two dumbells, curl them up like you are defending a key lock.
    It looks like this:
    |_O_|

And do a lot of cardio.

6. Bushido604

Bushido604 White Belt

put a punching bag (heavy) on the floor and work positions all night..... you can also practice stand up with it...... fireman's hold, power drills etc

7. wallsac

wallsac Orange Belt

thanks guys!