Society's view of BJJ

ProdigyOfZen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alright I think this depends on where you are and the kind of "company" you keep or are around on a daily basis.

So here is the story: I work in what you would call "high finance" on a trading desk for a mid level broker dealer trading Bonds. The norm for these guys extracurricular activity is Golf or drinking.

When they ask what I do and I mention BJJ/Muay Thai etc they usually laugh and try to make fun of me in some way. I also do not drink so that is two strikes against me. One guy in particular made this comment last week;

"So you are rolling around on the ground with guys all the time right? Well, can't you get herpes from that? I mean, I can't imagine that you are with the classiest of people"

I swear to god I almost flipped my lid when he said that to me. My response was "Your question/statement does not even warrant a response from me"

This is the kind of elitest snob BS that I have to put up with on a daily basis. Now mind you most of the people working here went to large exclusive universities or attended very wealthy high schools/private schools and look down on anybody doing BJJ or as he puts "meatheads beating up on each other"

When I meet people in the general public and the topic of hobbies etc come up and I mention BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai etc they usually are respectful or intrigued in general.

What have your experiences been? AND what do you think of that comment?

Most people have no clue what BJJ is. I don't ever bring it up, and don't really like talking about it when someone asks.

You sound pretty uptight. You don't have to be buddy buddy with your coworkers. Just do your job and keep your hobbies to yourself.

Yes you can get herpes from grappling.

it's funny that's what people think.

i was suprised to learn our school has a plumber, electrician, lawyer, a guy who teaches medicine, financial adviser, massage therapist, sociologist, lumber jack (gotta be the coolest thing to say you actually do), police officer, concrete block maker.. just about all walks of life walk through the door...

well all walks of life but the low lifes who can't afford the monthly membership fees so... i agree it's not what you would expect from BJJ but that's just how reality is.

You can do the Good Will Hunting where you blow his mind with facts on the effectiveness of BJJ, and then tell him if he wants to, you'll step outside.

Really though, BJJ speaks for itself. That's what the UFC was about. That's what the Gracie name is about. And its's what Couture had over Toney: the ground game.

A bucket of bias. The guy is a jerk. I get shit like this all the time. One of my co workers calls me "kung fu boy", which pisses me off no end. He's younger than me, the bastard.

Most people don't think grappling works. That they can just use effective boxing to keep you from taking them down.

Hah of course you can get herpes from grappling just like anybody can by sleeping with someone who has it (even if they are rich or poor). This guy is suggesting that poor classless people do BJJ who probably could have herpes because they are poor/classless. I guess you didn't get that? But I am the one who is uptight? genius. What good is the hobby you spend 80% of your free time doing if you can't even talk about it in a general setting.

This is the kind of elitest snob BS that I have to put up with on a daily basis. Now mind you most of the people working here went to large exclusive universities or attended very wealthy high schools/private schools and look down on anybody doing BJJ or as he puts "meatheads beating up on each other"

The guy pays probably $80 to swing a metal club at a ball and then chase it into a hole in the ground, and does that for two hours. How is that any more evolved?

The elitist claim is all cultural. In fact, the elites of Brazil train in BJJ according to Sam Sheridan.

The guy pays probably $80 to swing a metal club at a ball and then chase it into a hole in the ground, and does that for two hours. How is that any more evolved?

The elitist claim is all cultural. In fact, the elites of Brazil train in BJJ according to Sam Sheridan.

haha that's awesome.

My friends are all normal people without this type of elitism. I do what I do, they do what they do. We have a lot of common interests but do not necessarily share all the same ones. We respect each other though.

I do have quite less friends than I used to in my younger days.

just chill out a little bit man- i dont think they were trying to undermine your hobbies. and if they were, at least you have a pretty sweet hobby...maybe you can try to educate them or invite them?

as far as my experience, ive worked in a couple research labs and go to a graduate school. the lab groups really didnt care, some thought it was cool, some thought it was weird. i used to hang out with a few of them outside of work and it never really came up. at school i try to invite as many people to join as possible. frequent comments include "so you think you can beat me up huh" and "that sounds gay." when i interact with outside people (i go to med school), i try not to bring it up. my supervisors dont care as long as i show up without huge bruises. if i see a younger guy or anyone that has some mma type clothing on, i hint at it and eventually talk about with them to build rapport.

cliffs: no one cares.

You should have told him "listen, I can get teh herps from your mother too, but that's still doesn't stop me from letting her blow me". :icon_chee

You will always get "strange" reactions from most domesticated men over 25-30 years old. Here is my opinion why ...

The fact that you are a fighter reminds them they are not. This is an uncomfortable truth.

Men past their prime and out of shape do not like to be reminded their better days are behind them. They also feel a secret guilt for letting themselves get this way. It gets worse the older and fatter the man gets. You should see the dads that scream for violence at my son's Lacrosse games. The weaker and more pathetic the man, the more he yells at the kids to do the things he can't.

(House cats are jealous of outdoor cats)

I'm a blue collar guy so most of my friends and co-workers either train or have friends and/or family that do so it's no big deal to anyone I work with that I train. Don't lose any sleep over sh*theads that talk smack about BJJ. No need to start a confrontation with him whenever he starts talking smack just smile, nod, and think about breaking his arms off and shoving them... well you know. That yuppie isn't worth your time brother, just do your job, collect your check, and call it a day. And remember, just because someone makes a million bucks doesn't make them happy; and it doesn't protect them from getting choked, broke, or knocked the f*ck out. Best of luck.

You will always get "strange" reactions from most domesticated men over 25-30 years old. Here is my opinion why ...

The fact that you are a fighter reminds them they are not. This is an uncomfortable truth.

Men past their prime and out of shape do not like to be reminded their better days are behind them. They also feel a secret guilt for letting themselves get this way. It gets worse the older and fatter the man gets. You should see the dads that scream for violence at my son's Lacrosse games. The weaker and more pathetic the man, the more he yells at the kids to do the things he can't.

(House cats are jealous of outdoor cats)

I wish I could frame these words and put them on my wall. I am 17, not in the least bit meatheaded or arrogant, and I agree wholeheartedly. My father, who is 46, may not work out much anymore, but he is very active (moving heavy things, landscaping in his free time, etc...) and strong as an ox. It's funny because he is completely respectful and understanding of combat sports, and doesn't scream at my track meets or football games. Yet these out of shape soccer dads and businessman scream and feel the need to be snobbish (yet look worried when my father and I walk by, quiet and courteous as ever).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I agree. The wealthy and soft weak, will always look down on the strong who may not be in the same position as them.

I'm in my second year of college and this is usually how it goes...

Me: Yeah man I'm going to jiu jitsu tonight.
Random person: Oh is that like wrestling or something?
Me: Sort of, but it's got submissions like chokes and armlocks etc...
Random person: OOOHHH!...You do UFC!
Me: ehh...not really.
Random person: Yeah..UFC is tight!

From then on, everytime I walk into a room after that..."oh watch out ya'll, he does UFC!"...I try to explain it the best I can but everytime it ends with some guys misinterpreting it, talking me up to sound BA, and then followed by some random buff jock who knows two submissions challenging me to "wrestle".

You should have told him "listen, I can get teh herps from your mother too, but that's still doesn't stop me from letting her blow me". :icon_chee

Dude, I spit coffee all over my monitor when I read this. LOL, you owe me a roll of paper towels LOL!!!!

I'm in my second year of college and this is usually how it goes...

Me: Yeah man I'm going to jiu jitsu tonight.
Random person: Oh is that like wrestling or something?
Me: Sort of, but it's got submissions like chokes and armlocks etc...
Random person: OOOHHH!...You do UFC!
Me: ehh...not really.
Random person: Yeah..UFC is tight!

From then on, everytime I walk into a room after that..."oh watch out ya'll, he does UFC!"...I try to explain it the best I can but everytime it ends with some guys misinterpreting it, talking me up to sound BA, and then followed by some random buff jock who knows two submissions challenging me to "wrestle".

Hey dude, I'm also in college and I know exactly what you mean. Although I avoid wearing stupid tapout and affliction shirts, I often wear my gym's shirt and I've had people come up to me and say stuff like "so you think you can beat me up, huh?" or "So you train UFC?". It's annoying as shit, and I try to avoid telling people I train at all costs, just to avoid these uneducated jackasses who try to make everything into a "my dick is bigger than yours" contest.

I wish I could frame these words and put them on my wall. I am 17, not in the least bit meatheaded or arrogant, and I agree wholeheartedly. My father, who is 46, may not work out much anymore, but he is very active (moving heavy things, landscaping in his free time, etc...) and strong as an ox. It's funny because he is completely respectful and understanding of combat sports, and doesn't scream at my track meets or football games. Yet these out of shape soccer dads and businessman scream and feel the need to be snobbish (yet look worried when my father and I walk by, quiet and courteous as ever).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I agree. The wealthy and soft weak, will always look down on the strong who may not be in the same position as them.

I didn't quite understand this post. You are criticizing them cheering for their children and being nice and curteous to you and your father.

Most of society thinks BJJ is synonymous with MMA, but that doesn't bother me, I'm not planning on ever being in a fight anyway. Most of the time, it's just joking around anyway.

I don't think it has anything to do with class/money. One of the things I love about BJJ is that everyone is welcome, you have old/young, skinny/fat and if you learned everyone's occupation at your school, you'll get someone from every single walk of life.

I just say I'm going to the gym, problem solved 90% of the time.

Some of my close friends know that it is BJJ, and if they mentioned something and someone overhears I just say I study martial arts because running on a treadmill gets boring.

Rarely do people ask questions, the ones that do generally tell me they did TKD in college or something and I just smile and walk away.

Back