Social media, fake news and backwardness.

They may be educated but not all educated people employ critical thinking. Education merely serves as the foundation to critical thinking, as you can now explore far more alternatives, than the uneducated man. That doesn't mean that people still won't continue to stream-line their thinking though. Sticking to one perspective just happens to be far easier on us, than remaining critical at all times. A good, convenient story that reaffirms our views on the world's affairs, sounds equally as soothing to any man, educated or not.

However, institutionally educated people tend to be more neutered as far as their responses, so even if they get baited by a piece of fake news, there's a much lesser chance of a violent response.

It's easier to "debunk" a group of doctors, businessmen and lawyers, than a wild mob running around with hammers, knives and pitch-forks.

Really? so why did 80% of Americans supported the Iraq war?

Institutional people tend to support institutional violence, they can be deceived just as badly.

Social media is for four things only:

- reminding you of your college roommate's birthday.

- cat videos.

- letting you know which of your former colleagues just had a baby.

- photos of what Jeff is eating for dinner.

I have made it very clear to all of my friends that posting a food picture is grounds for immediate unfollowing by me. I'm down to like 20 people in my newsfeed

Even unfollowed my wife for a week to make a point. She posted a picture of the steak I grilled for her one night. No exceptions

Agreed. I see food pics, that's the end of you.

Really? so why did 80% of Americans supported the Iraq war?

Institutional people tend to support institutional violence, they can be deceived just as badly.

Sure, but the Americans are somewhat of an exception to the rule. I don't really consider them overtly "educated". Just because an institution hands you a piece of paper that says you are educated, doesn't actually mean that you have an educated mind. Especially when you barely know how to place even 1/10th of the rest of the world's countries on a map.

If they knew that a number of their wars have been excused with bullshit false flags, they would likely have been more critical of the Iraq WMD claims, and more aware of the objectives of the military-industrial lobby. But since they didn't, their minds were uneducated, and thus unable to exercise critical thinking.

The difference with the two scenarios is that I can try to reason with people who support institutional violence, as long as they don't support institutional violence or mob outcry in favour of silencing free speech (which is why I currently have a lot of trouble arguing with the "left", since they tend to support this). I can't argue with a man who has an axe in his hands, trying to swing it at my skull, who does not possess a mind that is capable of comprehending any alternative perspectives.

At the very least, there can be a debate around the Iraq War, even if that debate came to be heavily dominated by bullshit narratives, in lack of brave men willing to challenge those narratives. But in an environment like, lets say, the rural Mexican village that you posted, there is not going to be a debate. There is not going to be even a chance to voice an alternative opinion. And that's why the situation is not redeemable in such parts of the world.

I can't argue with a man who has an axe in his hands, trying to swing it at my skull, who does not possess a mind that is capable of comprehending any alternative perspectives.

Most people know right from wrong, most people also suffer from strong cognitive dissonance too.

People can comprehend alternative perspectives, but they also believe that that "numbers make right".

Most people know right from wrong, most people also suffer from strong cognitive dissonance too.

People can comprehend alternative perspectives, but they also believe that that "numbers make right".

Sure, but the more a person knows, the more he is likely to value his own opinions above those of others.

When people know little, and have little self-confidence in their own knowledge, they tend to value the opinion of the herd above their own, which is why the "numbers game" begins to matter. The strength of their own knowledge cannot hope to surpass the enticing power of the masses.

That being said, it is still possible for even 20 intellectuals at a table to form a hive-mind, as long as they agree with most of each others' opinions. But that is just human psychology at work.

In any case, the reality is that countries with "educated populations" are still much better equipped to deal with "fake news". The problem is more so when that education itself consists of fake news (see China, for example), but in that case it shouldn't really be called an education, but brain-washing.

Sure, but the more a person knows, the more he is likely to value his own opinions above those of others.

When people know little, and have little self-confidence in their own knowledge, they tend to value the opinion of the herd above their own, which is why the "numbers game" begins to matter. The strength of their own knowledge cannot hope to surpass the enticing power of the masses.

That being said, it is still possible for even 20 intellectuals at a table to form a hive-mind, as long as they agree with most of each others' opinions. But that is just human psychology at work.

In any case, the reality is that countries with "educated populations" are still much better equipped to deal with "fake news". The problem is more so when that education itself consists of fake news (see China, for example), but in that case it shouldn't really be called an education, but brain-washing.

But you also hit the nail on that one, the one who values his opinion the most is more likely to stick to it even when argued against and thus is more likely to stick to it in the face of evidence to the contrary.

The mob mainly tends to follow what the people they respect tells them to.

Sure, but the Americans are somewhat of an exception to the rule. I don't really consider them overtly "educated". Just because an institution hands you a piece of paper that says you are educated, doesn't actually mean that you have an educated mind. Especially when you barely know how to place even 1/10th of the rest of the world's countries on a map.

Euros always try to make this weak point. Why does it matter if we can place countries or know what their capitals are? It's not fundamental for any innovation and just trivia.

Euros always try to make this weak point. Why does it matter if we can place countries or know what their capitals are? It's not fundamental for any innovation and just trivia.

If you don't know anything about the rest of the world, it's easy to bomb the shit out of them without giving a damn about it.

When a person has a name and a face to you, it's harder to pull the trigger.

But you also hit the nail on that one, the one who values his opinion the most is more likely to stick to it even when argued against and thus is more likely to stick to it in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Do you have any studies to back this up? From what I've read, self control is a finite thing and people succumb to the mob mentality the more they are exposed to it, even at a subconscious level.

If you don't know anything about the rest of the world, it's easy to bomb the shit out of them without giving a damn about it.

When a person has a name and a face to you, it's harder to pull the trigger.

This is such a lazy interpretation.

I got rid of FB in 2016 because I didn’t gain anything beneficial from it and it just caused too many problems.

Why did you like her picture and couldn’t even comment on mine.

Omg we need to take that picture over I don’t like how my eyes look.

Omg why aren’t you smiling, my eyes were perfect.

Why haven’t you changed your relationship status

Who’s Brenda.

Too many damn problems.

Do you have any studies to back this up? From what I've read, self control is a finite thing and people succumb to the mob mentality the more they are exposed to it, even at a subconscious level.

We are talking about people holding fake beliefs, Like Ben Carson being a neurosurgeon and believing in creationism.

Though i dont have social media accounts, one of my best friends posts a picture of everything he eats. at this point its so routine he feels he must do it and i want to slap him... his name is jeff...

<WhoJeff>

Fake news have always been around, from 80s satanic murder rituals, to Nigerian princes, LSD tattoos and McDonalds selling human meat.

Nowadays with social media things can however become a little more dangerous, and this picture captures it perfectly.

40421311_10156675678300816_3468801379944890368_n.jpg

Ignore the wordings, said image is 2 people being lynched and burned alive after some idiot decided to spread the rumor that they were "child robbers" who abduct children to harvest their organs.

The idea is terrifying, you visit a random village in rural Mexico, some idiot takes a picture of you and shares it in social media accusing you of being a "kidnapper" and invents some BS story, it spreads like gunpowder among Whatsapp groups and by the time you realize an angry mob is already looking for you, local authorities cant save you from mob justice.

Its a modern day witch trial in which everyone present instead of thinking "Wait, what evidence do we have that these people are actual kidnappers", they say "Well im taking my cellphone and recording the time in which we burned a witch... i mean a kidnapper".
Obviously this is a problem with fake news but the real issue in this case is the utter lack of rule-of-law where rural Mexicans have to resort to lynchings to get some sense of justice rather than report these people to the police.

This shit happens in many parts of Latin America too. I saw a compilation on LiveLeak that was solely about thieves in Venezuela getting “justice”

A lot of it seemed to be in little villages but I saw people in big cities get lynched for stealing cellphones. Fucking crazy shit.

They may be educated but not all educated people employ critical thinking. Education merely serves as the foundation to critical thinking, as you can now explore far more alternatives, than the uneducated man. That doesn't mean that people still won't continue to stream-line their thinking though. Sticking to one perspective just happens to be far easier on us, than remaining critical at all times. A good, convenient story that reaffirms our views on the world's affairs, sounds equally as soothing to any man, educated or not.

However, institutionally educated people tend to be more neutered as far as their responses, so even if they get baited by a piece of fake news, there's a much lesser chance of a violent response.

It's easier to "debunk" a group of doctors, businessmen and lawyers, than a wild mob running around with hammers, knives and pitch-forks.
This is the best way to categorize “intelligent” or educated people constantly making dumb decisions

Obviously this is a problem with fake news but the real issue in this case is the utter lack of rule-of-law where rural Mexicans have to resort to lynchings to get some sense of justice rather than report these people to the police.

This shit happens in many parts of Latin America too. I saw a compilation on LiveLeak that was solely about thieves in Venezuela getting “justice”

A lot of it seemed to be in little villages but I saw people in big cities get lynched for stealing cellphones. Fucking crazy shit.

Venezuela is a pretty special case.

Also we have poor law enforcement everywhere in Mexico, including where i live and we dont go around lynching people.

Social media is for four things only:

- reminding you of your college roommate's birthday.

- cat videos.

- letting you know which of your former colleagues just had a baby.

- photos of what Jeff is eating for dinner.
Pictures of chicks doing skwaaaats!

Then selling fit tea.

The ruling party in Sweden has spread deceitful messages from their official social media accounts on Arabic and Somali that their political opponents wants to:

* Ban all mosques
* Forbid halal meat
* Stop all money to Muslim organizations
* Create division between Swedes and Muslims.

That is pretty severe and may create some real division!
Sounds like the state run media in Canada.

And the privately owned media too come to think of it.

It seems to be peaking in right wing circles. Just check the "meme thread" here. Hardly memes and a lot of it is just plain fake, but it keeps getting spread.
Yes. But that's a meme thread. It's meant for entertainment not to be taken as news.

Back