Social Anxiety/ General Anxiety Thread

The Don

If there is no struggle, there is no progress
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to make a thread open to all people, but specifically focused on people with any forms of anxiety.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with anxiety, but my heart sometimes palpitates for no real reason, so I feel like there's another problem. I do, however, have the majority of the symptoms for General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) from what I've read on the internet.

How do you guys manage with your anxiety?

Weed. Lots of it. I dont trust in ANY man made anti-depression, anti-anxiety medication. My sister temporarily lost her ability to orgasm while on one of them. Fudge all that. Also I dont need any pill having the opposite effect finally pushing me over the edge.

Just make the decision to do something before the anxiety sets in and when it's time to do something take a deep breathe and just do it. You can't let fear control you; I'm pretty sure most people get nervous it's just a matter of whether or not you let it control you.

Past few years I've had it pretty bad, have actually gone to the ER before because I thought something was really physically wrong with me. Use to get chest pains a lot and get the feeling that I wasn't breathing even when I was, I would get this weird tingling feeling in my hands (similar to the feeling you get when your foot/hand falls asleep, plus some other weird shit. Now it's mostly headaches with sudden spurts of intense fear/worry that something really bad is happening.

Tried meds for a bit (Paxil) but really didn't like it, just made me feel odd and gave me some weird dreams. I agree with the above poster that Marijuana can help, but it can also make it MUCH worse if you overdo it. I'll take a few small hits off a joint from time to time to help me relax. Also different types of teas can help me too.

For the most part though I think the main key to beating it is just keeping your mind occupied. Exercise, hobbies, work, etc. I've found that my anxiety is the worst when I am doing nothing. Going for runs and writing short stories has helped to keep my mind of off worthless worrying a bit for the past few months. Although it is always there and never seems to full go away.

Just make the decision to do something before the anxiety sets in and when it's time to do something take a deep breathe and just do it. You can't let fear control you; I'm pretty sure most people get nervous it's just a matter of whether or not you let it control you.
I don't think an actual anxiety disorder is that simple to control.

Weed. Lots of it. I dont trust in ANY man made anti-depression, anti-anxiety medication. My sister temporarily lost her ability to orgasm while on one of them. Fudge all that. Also I dont need any pill having the opposite effect finally pushing me over the edge.

That must have been very hard for the both of you.

I've had some of it. I think it largely had to do with blood sugar issues, but also psych triggers from being bullied while young, or maybe past lives if they exist... Solution, meditation and health/diet awareness. I still try to avoid social settings that can trigger it.

Don't be weak, you can be nervous, scared, etc but you can override it if you're mentally strong enough.

I HATE heights, so I went sky diving, because fuck that shit.

I get real bad anxiety in the workplace and when I have to give speeches or brief people. My heart starts pounding and I feel like im trembling on the inside. I usually just suck it up and press on.

I manage it by fainting and appearing very emasculated. Seriously—I faint when I have panic attacks. Luckily my depression has kicked my anxieties ass; how can I be anxious about something when I just don't care about anything?

How to deal with depression? I'm open to advice.

If it was incestuous I don't really see how her not being able to orgasm would effect him in any way.

Okay then.

Not sure if implying he's empathetic or incestuous and empathetic

I've always dealt with it. I get nervous over pretty much everything, it sucks. I need to clean up my diet and exercise more, I'm sure that will help some. I was on some medicine when i was younger but nothing ever helped so I've just dealt with it up to this point. It's kind of embarrassing to talk about at the doctor, even tho it shouldn't be.

I don't think an actual anxiety disorder is that simple to control.

Is for me. You have two choices in life: you do or you don't. Anxiety sucks, but so does literally doing nothing your entire life.

I've tried it, but it's literally easier said than done. Breathing seems to help quite a lot.

Past few years I've had it pretty bad, have actually gone to the ER before because I thought something was really physically wrong with me. Use to get chest pains a lot and get the feeling that I wasn't breathing even when I was, I would get this weird tingling feeling in my hands (similar to the feeling you get when your foot/hand falls asleep, plus some other weird shit. Now it's mostly headaches with sudden spurts of intense fear/worry that something really bad is happening.

Tried meds for a bit (Paxil) but really didn't like it, just made me feel odd and gave me some weird dreams. I agree with the above poster that Marijuana can help, but it can also make it MUCH worse if you overdo it. I'll take a few small hits off a joint from time to time to help me relax. Also different types of teas can help me too.

For the most part though I think the main key to beating it is just keeping your mind occupied. Exercise, hobbies, work, etc. I've found that my anxiety is the worst when I am doing nothing. Going for runs and writing short stories has helped to keep my mind of off worthless worrying a bit for the past few months. Although it is always there and never seems to full go away.

It does get pretty worse by doing nothing, but sometimes it's all that is left for me to do. Just do nothing. Exercising helps tremendously for me as well, but too taxing for me considering that is my only current outlet and I can't rely on that, specially if it comes up in a situation where the situation does not allow a good sweat out.

Any tea's you can recommend?

Alcohol helps.

I resorted to it a few times, looking for a more healthier alternative. :)

I get real bad anxiety in the workplace and when I have to give speeches or brief people. My heart starts pounding and I feel like im trembling on the inside. I usually just suck it up and press on.

Do you have anxiety towards a specific person?

I was on effexor for a long time (7yrs) and it helped to a certain extent.

Decided to get off of it about a year ago (last december), was completely off of it march of this year. Was fucking hell (withdraw symptoms made the anxiety worse) till about August. Since then the anxiety is less harsh.

not being on medication meant having to force myself to find other ways to cope - deep breathing, writing, workout (training), meditation.

I still have attacks daily - sometimes for no reason. Just have to learn to try and keep breathing. Also, forcing myself in to social situations as much as possible, some sort of daily activity.

Have taken off BJJ since early October as I got a concussion (which has seemed to also affect my moods). Will get back at it in January.

So to answer you question - lots of deep breathing , physical activity, writing, attempting to put myself in uncomfortable situations.

*I've also learned that its okay to not have to tolerate people if they trigger my anxiety (loud, obnoxious people). I think i've pissed people off but in the end it's my health and I need to do what I need to do to cope and if it means avoiding people then so be it. No need to apologize.

Back