So why didn't Fedor sign with the UFC back in 2009?

No they wanted to co-promote cards with Fedor in them. Basically on the posters and in the ring/intro it would say M1 Global/UFC instead of just UFC.

Correct. Any PPV Fedor was on would be half UFC, half M-1, meaning half the profits go to Fedor's manager, though, I doubt that half the expenses would be his...

I also recall some demand about Zuffa building a stadium on Russia, or something like that.

There is story, actually from Vadim which lays it out. At the time the UFC was also attempting to buy M-1's entire video library. Supposedly when the deal could not be reached on that and the owner of M-1 denied the sale everything else fell apart eventually too. That part about them flying out to meet Fedor is supposedly true as well. I'll try and find the article and link it later.

Strikeforce simply offered him the better deal.

At the time, M-1 was really trying to expand and they wanted to be the UFC of Europe. Whether Fedor wanted it or it was just his management, co-promotion was a major factor.

They wanted M-1 to be included on the broadcast any time Fedor fought. Fedor personally wanted to still compete in Sambo and not exclusively be tied down to a promotion. Strikeforce accepted those terms, UFC did not.

Apparently the UFC kept throwing more and more money at Fedor but he said it wasn't just about money. It was respect and the terms of the contract. UFC wanted a 6 fight deal, exclusive rights to his name and likeness and if he won the title, his contract was extended under the same terms until he lost. He also could be fired after one loss.

It just made better business sense at the time for him to go with Strikeforce.

robocopfedordanabulletproof.gif

Great post. Classic. First violent movie i ever saw when i was around 9 years old. Completely blew my mind.

Because UFC wont co-promote with M1 & Strikeforce would. Dana being a dick to Fedor probably made it an easier choice for him to go to SF.

The best HWs were in strikeforce and they offered him a better deal. This really had to be explained to you?

while its easy to say strikeforce heavyweights were the better of the bunch now

but back in 2009 you wouldnt find a lot of people making that claim

It just made better business sense at the time for him to go with Strikeforce.

Not attacking you specifically but this line of reasoning died 5 years ago.

Vadim and M-1's demands didn't make "business sense" long term. The goal of M-1 was to become a major promotion entity and they failed. This is because their demands were ridiculous, out of whack with the current promotion structure of worldwide MMA (which was UFC and the 7 dwarves in the post-PRIDE era) and no non-UFC entity could survive the financial demands that M-1 was making on them.

M-1 did business with BodogFight which sank BodogFight as a promoter of major events. The organization never recovered financially and could not put on that standard of card ever again after M-1 was done with them.
M-1 did business with Affliction and Affliction hemorrhaged cash in every event that Fedor fought in. Barnett and his needle sank Affliction for good but they could not sustain themselves financially long before that. Fedor's cards needed to sell 3x as well in order for them to even break even.
M-1 did business with Strikeforce which had been successfully promoting and growing their brand over 15 years. 2 years of M-1 crippled the company financially forcing the sell-off to the UFC.

M-1 is no closer to being a global brand and no closer to being a serious promotional entity than they were in 2005 and in fact it's even worse now because at least then they had the #1 fighter in the world as their trump card. Now that Fedor is off the radar they're basically irrelevant.

So if the goal was to do the best thing for M-1 long term, to grow the brand, to grow the sport and to enrich everyone long term, they failed. Miserably.

The only business goal they achieved was for Vadim to shove as much cash in his own personal pocket as possible, leaving rubble in their wake.

I don't see how anyone in 2015 can blame anyone but Vadim for what happened and can't see that Fedor was taken advantage of.

Unfortunately signing Fedor is what lead to Strikeforce being sold. It may lead to a similar outcome if Fedor signs with Bellator. It was provabably Dana's fault or part of his master plan.

Not attacking you specifically but this line of reasoning died 5 years ago.

Vadim and M-1's demands didn't make "business sense" long term. The goal of M-1 was to become a major promotion entity and they failed. This is because their demands were ridiculous, out of whack with the current promotion structure of worldwide MMA (which was UFC and the 7 dwarves in the post-PRIDE era) and no non-UFC entity could survive the financial demands that M-1 was making on them.

M-1 did business with BodogFight which sank BodogFight as a promoter of major events. The organization never recovered financially and could not put on that standard of card ever again after M-1 was done with them.
M-1 did business with Affliction and Affliction hemorrhaged cash in every event that Fedor fought in. Barnett and his needle sank Affliction for good but they could not sustain themselves financially long before that. Fedor's cards needed to sell 3x as well in order for them to even break even.
M-1 did business with Strikeforce which had been successfully promoting and growing their brand over 15 years. 2 years of M-1 crippled the company financially forcing the sell-off to the UFC.

M-1 is no closer to being a global brand and no closer to being a serious promotional entity than they were in 2005 and in fact it's even worse now because at least then they had the #1 fighter in the world as their trump card. Now that Fedor is off the radar they're basically irrelevant.

So if the goal was to do the best thing for M-1 long term, to grow the brand, to grow the sport and to enrich everyone long term, they failed. Miserably.

The only business goal they achieved was for Vadim to shove as much cash in his own personal pocket as possible, leaving rubble in their wake.

I don't see how anyone in 2015 can blame anyone but Vadim for what happened and can't see that Fedor was taken advantage of.

Vadim convinced Fedor that his minor ownership in M-1 would make him a lot more money than if he signed with the UFC which refused co-promotion. Fedor still follows that Bozo for some reason.

I was one of them. Others agreed but we were in the minority.

Lots of shills who thought Lesnar had unstoppable takedowns.

Lots of shills who thought Lesnar had unstoppable takedowns.

It wasnt just Lesnar, you had Carwin, JDS, Cain & Mir. Honestly imo, both hw divisions i think were even in terms of quality talent for that time.

Long answer:
Werdum/Overeem/Bigfoot/Barnett/Sergei/Arlovski/DC/Rogers/Del Rosario

vs

Brock/Carwin/Cain/JDS/Mir/Nog/Kongo/Gonzaga/Schaub

+ politics
+ money

Short answer: Strikeforce.

You would be surprised, I was lurking at the time, a lot of the better posters were saying that Strikeforce had the better HW division which IMO they clearly did.

It wasnt just Lesnar, you had Carwin, JDS, Cain & Mir. Honestly imo, both hw divisions i think were even in terms of quality talent for that time.
JDS and Cain were not even on the radar at that time.
UFC's top fighters were Brock, Carwin, Mir, Big Nog, Crocop
Fedor had already beaten Nog and Crocop. Carwin was a white Brett Rogers. And Lesnar...lol.

Strikeforce had Sylvia, Arlovski, Barnett, Overeem, Bigfoot, Verdum, Cormier, Rogers
Sylvia was the longest hw champ in UFC history. Arlovski was also an ex champ and on a winning streak. Barnett was an ex champ that many thought was the man who really would have a great chance of beating Fedor. Overeem looked unstoppable. Rogers was a black Shane Carwin. Cormier was an olympic wrestler running through his opponents.

The strikforce HW division clearly looked better at that time.

No they wanted to co-promote cards with Fedor in them. Basically on the posters and in the ring/intro it would say M1 Global/UFC instead of just UFC.

Don't trust what Dana says. Fedor was asked point blank about Dana's claims (like building a stadium) and Fedor (who is actually honest) denied that it was true. He even laughed at the notion

You're right, they didn't care about co-promotion at all :rolleyes:

StrikeforcePosterFedorHenderson1.jpg

fedorvs.hendoposter.jpg

Strikeforce_Fedor_vs_Rogers_poster_final.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Because Strikeforce was the easier path. Imagine if Fedor would have gone to the UFC... He would have been cut.

Back