• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So why Aljo didn't commit to a takedown early?

Its not uncommon for elite counter strikers to lose the first round.
Umm, no thats not what Im talking about. Aljo fought smart on the feet in the first round and he fought recklessly on the feet in the 2nd round. That's why he got dropped

Aljo sucks at getting takedowns...nothing new...people just forget that because of how good he is once he actually gets you down.

He had a hard time with his footwork and was forced to shoot from far away leading to poor entries. Shame, I was very curious to see what O’Malley would do when forced to grapple.

^ this is the answer. it wasn't that Aljo didn't want to wrestle until later, it was he couldn't wrestle because O'Malley kept circling and keeping too much space between them. it was pretty masterful gameplan in my opinion, because he used space instead of grappling techniques to stop a lot of the grappling.

i think Aljo should've focused a little more on the low kicks because they seemed to bother O'Malley and Sean didn't really have a good answer for them.

Aljo: wins 8 fights in a row

Aljo: loses once

WHAT WAS HE DOING OUT THERE?!!??!
What was he doing jumping in with nothing following nor any defense and leaving his head there? Especially against a guy as long as O’Malley. We’re these long rangey guys they brought in to mimic O’Malley blind? Cuz I can’t imagine he just leapt in with a jab and sat there for counters and not one threw a counter. What he did was extremely reckless and perhaps that’s how fights but I can’t remember him doing that.

^ this is the answer. it wasn't that Aljo didn't want to wrestle until later, it was he couldn't wrestle because O'Malley kept circling and keeping too much space between them. it was pretty masterful gameplan in my opinion, because he used space instead of grappling techniques to stop a lot of the grappling.

i think Aljo should've focused a little more on the low kicks because they seemed to bother O'Malley and Sean didn't really have a good answer for them.
So this is what I’m talking about. Great he was circling. Was there any offense? Why wouldn’t he kick more? Why feel the need to get inside at all? Nothing was happening. I can see calling it masterful if Aljo is getting pieced up or even touched with some volume. But nothing.

So this is what I’m talking about. Great he was circling. Was there any offense? Why wouldn’t he kick more? Why feel the need to get inside at all? Nothing was happening. I can see calling it masterful if Aljo is getting pieced up or even touched with some volume. But nothing.

it was masterful as in it did what it was intended to do, it kept Aljo from ever grappling him.

You’re right Aljo was trying to get something going. But it wasn’t some masterful plan by O’Malley. His dancing around wasn’t some ploy. He didn’t want to commit either. People out here acting like O’Malley game planned that dance off in the first rnd. It was pathetic. What wasn’t pathetic was his precision striking when Aljo leapt in like it was his first ever fight. He capitalized and kudos to him for that. Also kudos for that beautiful punch. But sweet jesus there wasn’t much to take away from that fight.

your tears bring me joy.

Sean just said he hasn't grappled in 6 weeks because of an injury going into this fight and he couldn't grapple. He makes it sound like it was game over if he got taken down but no he didn't get taken down once. That's why he was so shook.

You’re right Aljo was trying to get something going. But it wasn’t some masterful plan by O’Malley. His dancing around wasn’t some ploy. He didn’t want to commit either. People out here acting like O’Malley game planned that dance off in the first rnd. It was pathetic. What wasn’t pathetic was his precision striking when Aljo leapt in like it was his first ever fight. He capitalized and kudos to him for that. Also kudos for that beautiful punch. But sweet jesus there wasn’t much to take away from that fight.

O'Malley was throwing feints the whole first round, Aljo even said it threw him off and made him unsure when he should try and close the distance. I'm sure O'Malley would have liked to win round 1, but don't think he was worried about punting a round in a five round fight to get Aljo's timing down and utilize his feints.

Reactions: Yep
Umm, no thats not what Im talking about. Aljo fought smart on the feet in the first round and he fought recklessly on the feet in the 2nd round. That's why he got dropped

He didn't fight recklessly lol. He fought like he always fought. Unfortunately for him he was fighting a different type of striker that had the ability to KO him with 1 shot.

Sean was swapping stances every 2 seconds. Aljo wanted a good time to go in. Not to mention the range he had to cover.

The amount of people who don't know what they are watching is insane here. Sean's footwork was vastly superior and he did not let Aljo get close to him. Aljo didn't want a stand up fight.

Hell idk, Sean is the one guy I feel like you could just pick up and do WWE shit to if you wanted too.

He’s a great striker but shit, get in like Kurt angle belly to belly that ass and it’s academic. I mean what’s he going to do? Kick out?

O'Malley was throwing feints the whole first round, Aljo even said it threw him off and made him unsure when he should try and close the distance. I'm sure O'Malley would have liked to win round 1, but don't think he was worried about punting a round in a five round fight to get Aljo's timing down and utilize his feints.
Respectful. Maybe that’s the case. It didn’t look quite like there was anything to time. Maybe I will go back and watch to see this master plan of his. Either way it was a beautiful shot I just do t see anything done in The first rnd that set Aljo up to jump into a jab with nothing behind it and absolutely no movement. I think he just capitalized on a horrible decision by Aljo.

you understand years of grappling defense matter right ? especially when you're physically superior in the weight class. Imagine being the biggest frame but also somehow the hardest puncher , never been seen before.

Back