So who is the Best.

jiujitsuforever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who is the #1 all time bantamweight? Cruz, Barao, or Torres.

Cruz:

-19-1
-wins over Mccall, benavidez 2x, bowles, Jorgensen, mighty mouse and Faber.
-10 fight win streak
-7 finishes, 12 decisions
-won the wec bantamweight title and promoted to ufc bantamweight title holder
-4 title defenses
-9-1 under zuffa

Barao:
-32-1
-wins over Pickett, Jorgensen, Faber 2x, Mcdonald, and Wineland.
-32 fight win streak
-22 finishes, 10 decisions
-won the ufc interim bantamweight title, promoted to ufc bantamweight title holder
-3 title defenses
-9-0 under zuffa

Torres:

-41-7
-wins over Beebe, Maeda, Tapia, and Mizugaki
-32 finishes, 9 decisions
-won the wec bantamweight title
-3 title defenses
-8-4 under zuffa

in my opinion its Barao, he has finished 6 of his 9 opponents in zuffa and is a finisher. Great win streak and has 1 loss and no loses to top competitors or under zuffa. Also beat Faber 2x (tko'd him once), first to tko wineland, and has multiple top 10 wins.

I think right now Cruz is still better.

I used to think Torres was unstoppable during his early WEC run, but that was probably a function of his competition (no disrespect to Manny Tapia) and aided by the awe-struck commentary of his pals Mir and Bonnar. The two losses (Bowles and Benavidez) truly transformed him from an emotionless, high-flying risk-taker, to an apprehensive point fighter. He will never get back anywhere near Top 10. I respect his contribution to the sport, and wish him the best of luck.

I think Cruz and Barao are tied for 1st place, and while Barao certainly appears to have the edge due to being more active (and/or by having more finishes during his run), I think that the fight between the two of them will settle who is the best. Lastly, I think that Cruz should take a comeback fight before fighting Barao, just to eliminate the "Barao was too much for him after a 2 year injury layoff" shenanigans.

I used to think Torres was unstoppable during his early WEC run, but that was probably a function of his competition (no disrespect to Manny Tapia) and aided by the awe-struck commentary of his pals Mir and Bonnar. The two losses (Bowles and Benavidez) truly transformed him from an emotionless, high-flying risk-taker, to an apprehensive point fighter. He will never get back anywhere near Top 10. I respect his contribution to the sport, and wish him the best of luck.

I think Cruz and Barao are tied for 1st place, and while Barao certainly appears to have the edge due to being more active (and/or by having more finishes during his run), I think that the fight between the two of them will settle who is the best. Lastly, I think that Cruz should take a comeback fight before fighting Barao, just to eliminate the "Barao was too much for him after a 2 year injury layoff" shenanigans.

good post. I agree, especially about the tune up fight for cruz. winner of cruz vs barao is the clear #1 all time

Barao is very good all round. He can win by points easily and KO/submit you at any time.

Cruz is best as a point fighter. He's not as threatening but knows exactly what to do to get the judges nod and not take too much damage.

Best all round fighter I'd have to give to Barao (just an opinion) but Cruz, with a good game plan, could beat him. I'd be on the edge of my seat for sure though.

Cruz beats a few high level bantamweights and a handful of Flyweights.

Barao tears through whatever, and his attitude about it, whatever.

i do have to say mm, benavedez, and mccall would have probably been flyweights if zuffa had those divisions at the time. still good wins but they are a bit soiled

im the best mayne, i told you that.
hqdefault.jpg

Cruz and Barao are both better than Torres, better resumes as well.

^Basically this, almost all of Cruz's best wins are over 125ers.

Barao for sure. Maybe I over-value finishes but that's what it comes down to for me. Barao is much more likely to finish top opponents and I highly value that.

Lol @ Cruz, 7 finishes/12 decisions

Cruz is definitely 3rd place.

1) Barao
2) Torres
3) Cruz

I agree especially about the tune up fight. But after two ACL tears in a row and such a long layoff it

I think Barao is ahead of Cruz as well. But you can't discredit Cruz's wins because his opponents dropped down. MM, Benavidez, Scott were all ranked guys at bw when Cruz beat them. And some of Barao's opponents are flw's now as well, Cariasso, Scott, and Pickett.

Back