So what does everyone think about the new Jones rules coming in Jan 2017?

randomalias

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Extending Fingers towards Opponents’ Eyes
  • Fighters extending fingers out and towards opponents’ faces will be warned by referees
  • Action can be stopped for referees to warn fouling fighter. Fighters can also be warned without stoppage
  • After being warned several times, if fighter continues to foul referees can stop action and take points
  • Fighters can also be disqualified for repeated fouling with extended fingers towards opponents’ faces

Sounds like something they should have already been enforcing, but now they will use it to penalize fighters at their own discretion…

don't worry Johnny will always find a way to cheat.

Last edited:
It's not like eye pokes were legal before. Let's see if the judges other than Big John McCarthy have the balls to make him cut that shit.

1 poke should be a warning (depending on the severity, if its very severe it should be a point)

2 pokes is an automatic point imo

It's not like eye pokes were legal before. Let's see if the judges other than Big John McCarthy have the balls to make him cut that shit.

Bit different though, as you can now be warned/lose points/disqualified just for having your fingers extended. No contact necessary.

Just make them cumulative across fights, so you don't get a free eye poke every time out. People with a history like Jones get immediate points deducted.

Those rules seem awfully vague. Why not put some hard numbers in there? Take out all the guesswork.

I'd agree with 1 = warning, 2 = point loss.

Those rules seem awfully vague. Why not put some hard numbers in there? Take out all the guesswork.

I'd agree with 1 = warning, 2 = point loss.

because ultimately the sport has to be more like soccer (a few rules, ref has lots of subjective power) than American Football (a 400 page rule book where everything is spelled out to exact detail).

well, i suppose it's debatable. but i sure as shit don't want the existing ~32 rules to to turn into a 400 page document.

I thought the rule would be that you can take peds and only get a small ban. then have naive huggers tink he's clean.

tumblr_nyo3nqtgMh1tslewgo1_400.gif

It sounds like some Minority report stuff, penalizing before there's an actual foul.

What I think is fair is keep the warnings, if there is a poke after the warnings by the offending fighter then it's an automatic point deduction regardless of severity. We don't need penalties for leg kicks after a nut shot, touching the fence w/o gripping after a cage grab, etc.

MMA is enough of a circus as it is.

very good rule, you only have your fingers extended if you wanna poke someone in the eyes, otherwise you'd never do that in a fight, it serves no purpose and your opponent could just grab your fingers and break them

and no they don't extend their fingers in judo/wrestling either

Jones made a claim for GOAT in the absence of this ruling. Way overdue

this changes his whole style of holding his hands out

f889f-fingers4.gif

Isn't there a clause/bullet in there about it being okay to have your fingers extended...so long as they're extended "up?"

If that's the case, which I think it is, then the fingers-forward thing is going to be a disaster to enforce.

Needz to be done. Jones is one of the onez who obviously manipulate the fact that this rule isn't in place yet.

giphy.gif

Back