So Jones and Gustaffson will have similar reach - which makes it like a regular fight

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A lot is being said about Gustaffson's reach being close to Jones. With Jones having 84.5 inches compared to Gustafsson 81.2 inches.

Firstly, that still gives Jones a sizeable reach advantage. Jone's long reach is the best asset you can in MMA because unlike speed, athleticism, reflexes, strength, or an iron chin, reach won't degrade with age. And Jones knows how to utilize his reach unlike some such as Skyscraper.

Secondly, even if Gustaffsson had the exact same reach as Jones, that just makes it like the majority of MMA fights where fighters have similar reaches.

I think they are making too big a deal about Gustafsson's reach. It'd be a big deal if he had a large reach advantage over Jones. In the end, it's just like an average fight with the fighters having similar reaches.

Jones will be too fast, too strong, his wrestling will be too good, his striking will too overwhelming, and how he mixes his striking and takedowns will be far too much for Gustaffson. Expect a late 1st round to early 2nd round finish via TKO/KO or submission.

Glover is the next so-called worthy opponent after Gus and he showed that he will not even make Jones break a sweat after his fight with Bader. There really is no opponent for Jones including Glover or Gus. I'd say superfight with Anderson or Cain.

Last edited:
I adhere that to the fact that the rising wave of modern MMA players are more and more skilled.Gone are the times when a dominant champ like Fedor,GSP and Anderson could sit at the top of their division for a decade.This new generation of fighters is more well rounded and more evolved as the sport itself grows and evolves at a rapid rate that eclipses the pre-2000 UFC era.

If Jonesś fans put aside their worship of this arrogant albeit skilled fighter,they will realize thereś always someone better waiting for his chance to shine.

Alexander the Great will follow in the footsteps of his ancestor Leif Eriksson, the first european to set foot on the american continent. Alex will travel to Vinland and become the first european to take the UFC LHW throne. It is his destiny, so sayeth Thor.

A lot is being said about Gustaffson's reach being close to Jones. With Jones having 84.5 inches compared to Gustafsson 81.2 inches.

Firstly, that still gives Jones a sizeable reach advantage. Jone's long reach is the best asset you can in MMA because unlike speed, athleticism, reflexes, strength, or an iron chin, reach won't degrade with age. And Jones knows how to utilize his reach unlike some such as Skyscraper.

Secondly, even if Gustaffsson had the exact same reach as Jones, that just makes it like the majority of MMA fights where fighters have similar reaches.

I think they are making too big a deal about Gustafsson's reach. It'd be a big deal if he had a large reach advantage over Jones. In the end, it's just like an average fight with the fighters having similar reaches.

Jones will be too fast, too strong, his wrestling will be too good, his striking will too overwhelming, and how he mixes his striking and takedowns will be far too much for Gustaffson. Expect a late 1st round to early 2nd round finish via TKO/KO or submission.

Glover is the next so-called worthy opponent after Gus and he showed that he will not even make Jones break a sweat after his fight with Bader. There really is no opponent for Jones including Glover or Gus. I'd say superfight with Anderson or Cain.

What I want to know is how did Gus' reach grow so much overnight? Wasn't he listed as like 75" or something before? Not saying 81.2 isn't accurate, but whoever does their measurements needs to get their eyes examined...

Lol. I still remember when Carwin was 6"5 until he stood next to Brock in a post-fight interview and it became apparent that he was not...from then on listed as 6"2.

Alexander the Great will follow in the footsteps of his ancestor Leif Eriksson, the first european to set foot on the american continent. Alex will travel to Vinland and become the first european to take the UFC LHW throne. It is his destiny, so sayeth Thor.

Just wondering. Do you really think Gus will win?

who gives a flying fuck about reach... i swear some of you guys masturbate to arms or something.

the ultimate deciding factor in this fight... well any of jons fights is wrestling.... not his gumby arms.

who gives a flying fuck about reach... i swear some of you guys masturbate to arms or something.

the ultimate deciding factor in this fight... well any of jons fights is wrestling.... not his gumby arms.
Thank you.

If Gus reach is 81.2 and Jones is 84.4, seriously wtf is the problem? Hell why is a 3 inch reach difference even a topic? oh thats right, reach is some shit the Jones haters came up with after he started destroying everyones favorite fighter.

I don't understand the obsession with the reach of Jon Jones. He isn't the first tall, lanky fighter. Every division has had those types of guys and none of them have risen to his level. I remember Bas back in the day saying that the perfect build for mma was that of Igor Vovchanchyn. Honestly I think every body type has positives and negatives in the fight game.

Jones long limbs make him more susceptible to armbars. His skinny legs may not hold up well against a fighter with a strong leg kicking game (yet to be seen).

The reach is definitely something that fighters have to train for before they face him, but come on, it is not unfair the way some people make it sound.

His length should actually make him easier to take down, but he is just that damn good at wrestling.

I don't understand the obsession with the reach of Jon Jones. He isn't the first tall, lanky fighter. Every division has had those types of guys and none of them have risen to his level. I remember Bas back in the day saying that the perfect build for mma was that of Igor Vovchanchyn. Honestly I think every body type has positives and negatives in the fight game.

Jones long limbs make him more susceptible to armbars. His skinny legs may not hold up well against a fighter with a strong leg kicking game (yet to be seen).

The reach is definitely something that fighters have to train for before they face him, but come on, it is not unfair the way some people make it sound.

His length should actually make him easier to take down, but he is just that damn good at wrestling.

Yeah but who would dare to have a kicking game plan against JBJ?

Well it's a known fact it's hard to jerk off with T-Rex arms, hence why reach is so important.

I adhere that to the fact that the rising wave of modern MMA players are more and more skilled.Gone are the times when a dominant champ like Fedor,GSP and Anderson could sit at the top of their division for a decade.This new generation of fighters is more well rounded and more evolved as the sport itself grows and evolves at a rapid rate that eclipses the pre-2000 UFC era.

If Jonesś fans put aside their worship of this arrogant albeit skilled fighter,they will realize thereś always someone better waiting for his chance to shine.

I agree fighters are well rounded today but I think in any sport there will always be that talent that rises above the rest. Jones seems to be that guy as of now.

I've got to disagree. Reach is very important in MMA.

It helps Jones striking a lot. Who's gonna kick his legs when they got to worry about catching a punch to the face? Having long reach helps his wrestling and judo. Sure, he could be more susceptible to an armbar. But we know he trains to defend that. It also helps his GnP, especially from the guard.

It helps Jones striking a lot. Who's gonna kick his legs when they got to worry about catching a punch to the face? Having long reach helps his wrestling and judo. Sure, he could be more susceptible to an armbar. But we know he trains to defend that. It also helps his GnP, especially from the guard.

Agreed 100%.

While Jones haters will always reference his reach advantage, his fans will always quickly dismiss it as not being a big deal.

absolutely no one in the lhw division is afraid of getting punched in the face by jon jones. i'm not going to say he doesn't have any power. but lets be honest, it's not like he's ko'ing folks standing up.

i believe they're weary of throwing leg kicks because they don't want to end up getting taken down, and taking a few of jones nasty elbows.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%.

While Jones haters will always reference his reach advantage, his fans will always quickly dismiss it as not being a big deal.

it isn't a big deal... jones wins his fights by taking his opponents down, and doing damage with his elbows. if you took away jon's reach, people would still be afraid to get close to him, as he would still take them down... and still elbow them to death....

Could not agree more, gustafsson was getting tagged by hard overhand right counters by shogun. If he can't deal with someone who has a significant reach disadvantage jones is going to tag him a lot.

He's pretty much a lesser-machida

Back