• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So I just got knocked out for the first time..

Why do you want to get an advice to people who dont train.hehe

In my experience I've found that tall people tend to be skinny which equals less leg muscle, which can lead to using their legs less and adopting a more narrow stance. The more narrow you stand the taller you stand. If you are fighting someone short and powerful it would definitely help to widen your stance and get a little bit lower than you normally would.

Reason being is that most KO punches are punches you don't even see coming, maybe at the last second at most. Getting low may help you read his punches and body language better.

I find most taller people also stand tall because it's just way easier and takes less reaction time to fade and kind of just lean back against punches. Not a good idea to make this your main defensive habit imo.

I didn't really have any headaches I just feel a little groggy, like I've been watching tv for way to long or something like that.
But I was okay after I got up and had a short break, and sparred the last rounds before the session was done.
- I try to teepkick sometimes but most of the time I get countered with a few punches right afterwards, so I don't use that kick so much anymore
LOL, not a KO....U feel sick to your stomach for a day and when you turn your head to back your car up or any other thing U get pain shards through your head for a week...

Jimmy had a good point with the Teep to control distance and train high speed, high impact RH kicks right to the floating rib. For Southies that's a go to cause they're open to your power side so exploit that. Also train good faints with that kick, they'll start to reflexively drop their hands to protect and open up high.

Be careful of TKD guys(cough, cough) or good kickers cause we'll spin into your left movement and catch you over the top or in the ribs. That might not be the level you're facing now, but keep that in mind.

I'm bias but I'd say train TKD footwork like a beast. With good boxing, MT hands it'll get you into range lightning quick all setup to throw and out of trouble as fast....But I'm bias, LOL!

Good luck!

Come on man. No hard sparring for a week. Just lite drills or playfull sparring. Thai style

Why do you want to get an advice to people who dont train.hehe
Well, some train. Frode trains for sure. But I get your point - issues like this one should be consulted with your coach first and foremost.

Well, some train. Frode trains for sure. But I get your point - issues like this one should be consulted with your coach first and foremost.
I literally train at the same place as the OP lol.

I don't have any headaches or anything like that, but if I ever have I sure as hell will have a long break until I feel totally fine again !
- Good luck at the doctors, and I understand that you miss sparring, I always spar at Monday's and Wednesday's at 17-18 ;)!
Might be a good idea to take a little break from sparring anyway if you've had a flash knockdown.

Good news, I have was cleared on all neurological tests, bad news he adviced that I stop taking any hits to the head. At the same time he prefaced it with saying that that is their policy. He did think that having to take a while to recover like this and with my neck issues he would still advice me to call it quits. I wont though, but I'll ease into it.

I'll be down there in about 3-4 weeks time! Are you tall with blond hair?

Pretty cool seeing 2 people from the same gym ITT!

I havent't been KO'd in the gym but I've gotten the stanky leg at least once.

In my experience I've found that tall people tend to be skinny which equals less leg muscle, which can lead to using their legs less and adopting a more narrow stance. The more narrow you stand the taller you stand. If you are fighting someone short and powerful it would definitely help to widen your stance and get a little bit lower than you normally would.

Reason being is that most KO punches are punches you don't even see coming, maybe at the last second at most. Getting low may help you read his punches and body language better.

I find most taller people also stand tall because it's just way easier and takes less reaction time to fade and kind of just lean back against punches. Not a good idea to make this your main defensive habit imo.
I'm not skinny at all, I'm almost 100kg but i may tend to having a little narrow stance when I get tired.
- But I do tend to lean back when avoiding punches which probably is the reason I got tagged in the first place, because the guy who did it tried to land the punch a few times where I just 1-2'ed his face to pieces, but suddenly he just timed that sucker perfectly and I didn't see it until it was to late !

Might be a good idea to take a little break from sparring anyway if you've had a flash knockdown.

Good news, I have was cleared on all neurological tests, bad news he adviced that I stop taking any hits to the head. At the same time he prefaced it with saying that that is their policy. He did think that having to take a while to recover like this and with my neck issues he would still advice me to call it quits. I wont though, but I'll ease into it.

I'll be down there in about 3-4 weeks time! Are you tall with blond hair?
Tall guy, usually tank top when training, bald, and white RDX gloves! - Come say what's up next time u in the gym ;)!

LOL, not a KO....U feel sick to your stomach for a day and when you turn your head to back your car up or any other thing U get pain shards through your head for a week...

Jimmy had a good point with the Teep to control distance and train high speed, high impact RH kicks right to the floating rib. For Southies that's a go to cause they're open to your power side so exploit that. Also train good faints with that kick, they'll start to reflexively drop their hands to protect and open up high.

Be careful of TKD guys(cough, cough) or good kickers cause we'll spin into your left movement and catch you over the top or in the ribs. That might not be the level you're facing now, but keep that in mind.

I'm bias but I'd say train TKD footwork like a beast. With good boxing, MT hands it'll get you into range lightning quick all setup to throw and out of trouble as fast....But I'm bias, LOL!

Good luck!
Well if it is that bad after getting knocked out, I definitely didn't get ko'ed 4 real, I drove home after training and just chilled with my girl and baby girl like I always do.
- But a few people have mentioned that I should try out the left kick to the body more often so I will definitely do that!
- But I think I just have to be more aware of my angels and footwork from now on, because I usually just back up most of the time and counter people with the straight left :p

Tall guy, usually tank top when training, bald, and white RDX gloves! - Come say what's up next time u in the gym ;)!
Wow, new friendships forming via Sherdog, how cute.
<{1-15}>

If he doesn't have much of a left hook, move to your right and when he tries to chuck an overhand right, throw a straight left right at him. As rules go, a straight punch beats arcing one. Use feints to keep him guessing when to throw and be mobile. When you are circling to his right side, make sure you are expecting the right and be prepared for that. You can pull back and counter back with a left hand, especially if you have the reach advantage.

And, as always, keep that rear glove up. Fighting someone in a mirrored stance to you means you can use your lead to fence and stuff their jab with your jabbing hand, but that left glove you gotta glue and keep up high.

Back