So I just built a 24 core workstation...

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
Well, built might be a bit of a misnomer - I got a second hand hp proliant g7 server on kijiji.

For $300, I got:

2x12 core Opteron 6176
48Gigs Ram
Dual 1200x Power Supply
10x150Gig SAS Drives

Now the question becomes: What do I do with it?

I kind of got it on a whim because I was looking to replace the computer in my office (I do alot of number crunching, so I figured the more cores the better). Turns out this thing is loud as hell, and there is no way I can have it in a shared work space.

Anybody have any cool ideas? I don't really run virtual machines, but I figure I can turn it into a Folding@Home box.

You lucky bastard. That sounds like a great deal. You should build a frankencase with insulation and baffling

Not to much to do if you are not using anything core intensive, the 6176 is a bit slow frequency wise, most video or game systems need GPUs. However you could use it as a database server, maybe a overkill CRM system, or have it mine bitcoins lol. Folding at home is good. SO what you can do is put in in a full ATX case with liquid cooling to make it not so loud. I have a feeling its using blowers instead of standard desktop fans, so the form factor would likely just need a case switch to make it not so loud.

You could also part it out for more than 300.00
The CPUs are maybe 75-100 a pc, memory could fetch you some, case probably get you 200.00

Use it for modeling get something that use distributed rendering? Unfortunately outside of hosting or cloud computing there is really not much you could use it.

Not to much to do if you are not using anything core intensive, the 6176 is a bit slow frequency wise, most video or game systems need GPUs. However you could use it as a database server, maybe a overkill CRM system, or have it mine bitcoins lol. Folding at home is good. SO what you can do is put in in a full ATX case with liquid cooling to make it not so loud. I have a feeling its using blowers instead of standard desktop fans, so the form factor would likely just need a case switch to make it not so loud.

You could also part it out for more than 300.00
The CPUs are maybe 75-100 a pc, memory could fetch you some, case probably get you 200.00

Yeah, it's single threaded performance is abysmal, so it won't do me much good in the gaming department. I probably will install windows server on it and toss in a couple of high capacity mechanical drives (it evidently has sata ports + sas).

As for parting it out, I am entirely too lazy to make a quick buck. It has a pretty cool novelty factor to it, and I am already setting my eyes on something I can use: 2xXeon e5 8 Core CPUs. The Sandy Bridge models are going for as little as $60 on ebay, and I can get 32GB of ECC ram for $50 from the same seller. The biggest cost is the motherboard, which runs north of $400 (that is a little outside of my price range).

Back