So, I just bought an AR-15...

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
...And I have a few questions:

I've always been a Kalashnikov fan, but I finally broke down and bought my first AR. It's a used gun, and there's a few things I'd like to know about it.

It's a shorter, lighter version of the full-size AR, with a 16.5-inch barrel, a short handguard and 3-position collapsible stock. The receiver stamping says:

Colt (with logo)
SPORTER
LIGHTWEIGHT
CAL. .223

And I'm fairly sure it's a pre-ban because the serial number is " SER. SL 004xxx " Does anyone know if this particular model was numbered sequentially? If so, this rifle is older because it was the 4,000-something one produced? (and what does the "SL" mean?)

I know how to field-strip the rifle, but I'd like to know how to completely disassemble the lower receiver so I can re-finish it. That involves removing the mag release, bolt release, safety, trigger group and the "strap" on the trigger guard. Does anyone have any links to any online tutorials to do this? I'm very competent with guns, but I don't want to go poking around with a hammer and punch without having some kind of guide.

I've got plans to accessorize this AR, but I'd like to become more familiar with it before I go slapping on a bunch of picca-thingy rails :icon_chee. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check out AR15.com They have down-loadable manuals for a range of manufacturers. I would post your serial number question there as well.

Since this is weapons and strategy ill tell you a strategy. Point and shoot.

DOES THE WEAPON HAVE A MAGAZINE OR IS THE MAG BUILT IN TO THE WEAPON. IF YOU CAN TAKE THE MAG OUT IT IS ILLEGAL BUT IF IT IS ONE PIECE IT IS LEAGAL. MY DAD HAD A COUPLE OF THEM AND HIS ONLY LEAGAL ONE HAD A BUILT IN CLIP. aT LEAST THAT IS WHAT HE TOLD ME THE GUN LAW WAS IN CALIFORNIA. I TRUST HIS WORD TOO BECAUSE HE WAS AN AVID GUN COLLECTOR COLECTING OVER 300 GUNS THAT WE HAD TO GO THROUGH WHEN HE PASSED AWAY

DOES THE WEAPON HAVE A MAGAZINE OR IS THE MAG BUILT IN TO THE WEAPON. IF YOU CAN TAKE THE MAG OUT IT IS ILLEGAL BUT IF IT IS ONE PIECE IT IS LEAGAL. MY DAD HAD A COUPLE OF THEM AND HIS ONLY LEAGAL ONE HAD A BUILT IN CLIP. aT LEAST THAT IS WHAT HE TOLD ME THE GUN LAW WAS IN CALIFORNIA. I TRUST HIS WORD TOO BECAUSE HE WAS AN AVID GUN COLLECTOR COLECTING OVER 300 GUNS THAT WE HAD TO GO THROUGH WHEN HE PASSED AWAY

HOLY SHIT MAN!!!! I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!!

ASRBEAR -

Cali gun laws are waaaaay more strict, those laws don't apply to other states.

How could an AR15 have a permanently attached magazine? They have closed receivers.

I never realized that you have to take the fucking thing apart to load it. That's retarded.

Back