So, I have terrible stand-up,

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Here's what happened today:

Okay, so I went to my friend's house to spar. Now, he's a really good striker by teenagers who want to be fighters' standards in that he can knock out anybody who's not Brock Lesnar-size or a muay thai veteran of 10 years in my personal opinion. He's also got a good wrestling base to defend takedowns and I'm helping him with the very, Very, VERY little I know after 6-8 months of jiu-jitsu because there's almost no one else around and he doesn't want to go in an mma class 'til after he gets an eagle in the scouts. So anyhow, I tried to throw a jab to stun him, but he flicked it down. So then I kept going for it, but again met without success. So then he tried to bum rush me. He couldn't get past my forearms because I have a good turtle shell because I hunch over when someone does that and I put my hands up so that my hands are like, in my cheeks and my shoulders cover the back of my jaw. So I wasn't hit in the head at all, but my stand-up is just terrible all around. Other than a karate purple belt and 6-8 months of pad work in muay thai, I have absolutely no stand-up. So, pretty much nothing. I can overpower people but the problem is I find it really hard to focus because I just panic unless I'm on the ground because I have a glass jaw. I find it really hard to focus and time strikes. I'm absolutely not going to just rush in because I can very easily get knocked out, and I was dumb and decided to get a judo membership to help my grappling before I found out I could do golden gloves and actually not suck at striking. What can I really do to not get knocked the fuck out? I'm thinking maybe if I throw feints before my strikes or lead with a leg kick, then punch. I have hand speed, power, and good movement speed, but I can't get any punches off. Thoughts?

Maybe you should get some training before trying the fighting part?

Why don't you say do boxing or amateur boxing instead of saying Golden Gloves? Almost sounds like you're trying to name drop.

How do you know you have a glass jaw? Been knocked out easily several times in your life?

How do you know you have good hand speed, power, and movement? This whole topic is about how you suck when you're standing.

Stop being dumb and find a place that can teach you well.

Rent every episode of Walker Texas Ranger, get several cases of Bush Beer (substitute Old Milwaukee if you feel so inclined) and a can of skoal chewing tobacco..... Then, sit on your couch in some fight trunks and full head gear with a big lip full of skoal, chugging beer and watch every episode of Walker Texas Ranger (playing the fight scenes in slow motion). If you manage to survive this experience, you will be the baddest mofo in your entire high school! seriously!

Alternatively, you could just go join a gym with a good coach, choice is yours.... Just thought I would give ya some "alternative options" to joining an actual gym......

chuck_norris-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been rocked easily. And I wish I wasn't dumb...

And what do you mean name drop?

And I've actually gone to a gym before, but I can't afford that gym anymore and besides that there was almost no sparring to begin with, just pads.

And I know that I've got power cuz I've gotten in the occassional lucky punch and I stagger people. Actually now that I think about it, I don't know about speed.

And I know that I've got power cuz I've gotten in the occassional lucky punch and I stagger people. Actually now that I think about it, I don't know about speed.

If it's an "occasional lucky punch" then I wouldn't be too proud of it. Any 10 year old girl can stagger someone with a lucky punch. That aside, a heavy-bag is a boxer's best friend. They never get tired. The bag could help you get some natural timing down, and get you to the point where throwing differnt punches feels natural.

Also, if your friend is so good, why don't you ask him for some pointers? Ask for advice and mimic what he does. keep sparring and your suck-level will decrease.

P.S. proper technique and smooth execution beat out power and speed any day .

And I've actually gone to a gym before, but I can't afford that gym anymore and besides that there was almost no sparring to begin with, just pads.

That sounds like a good thing, not a bad thing.

Here's what happened today:
So anyhow, I tried to throw a jab to stun him, but he flicked it down. So then I kept going for it, but again met without success.

Stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

:icon_chee

You have to get hit in the face some more. No, really. You're afraid of being hit because you're never hit. Don't get hit full force, but spar with gloves and get hit medium contact a few hundreds times and you'll get used to it and over your fear of it.

Honestly, I just don't see anything happening for the better unless you find a good gym and get some real instructional training.

(And, I speak from experience b/c I did the backyard sparring thing, even trained a lot of TMA and thought my striking was 'pretty good' until I went to a real MMA gym with quality striking instruction....and then learned, quickly, I didn't know squat).

Imo: If you can't afford good instruction, then avoid home striking training/backyard sparring until you can...you'll only learn stuff that will have to be undone later.

My jaw is really bad (2000 pounds sterling of treatment :/ )

but i look forward to getting hit during pads/sparring because as long as you learn your going to get hit less right? Even in pads get your partner (if he/she obliges and if your coach lets you do your own combos) get him to attack with the pads, I think it would help you as my defence has improved [abit].

hahah ur getting it all wrong u dont have problems with ur stand up mate u got problems with confidence
if u know u got hand speed and movement and all that then use it and go in circles stick and move set up combos mix ur strikes keep ur hands up and dont close ur eyes
other then that u need formal training to boost ur confidence man a good trainer can fix this all

Well, you probably have a glass jaw because
1) You probably have bad defense, if you get clocked while rushing in with your chin in the air you will get rocked.

2) You haven't trained yourself to take punches, you need to strengthen your neck and get used to the idea of getting punched in the face.

and
3) If your buddy is really a beast, then maybe he just stunned you with his unbelievable power.

At any rate, if you want to improve your standup, go train. That's about all I can tell you. If you're really diligent, you can watch videos and with rigorous self monitoring and a perfectionist attitude, you could get down the basics, but a trainer is definitely the path of least resistance.

don't become one of those teens that did some boxing or mma in some guys basement learning from a magazine once a month and label everyone who can beat you a bad ass...go make some extra bucks mowing lawns or something and get a good boxing coach...then don't spar with your friends for 6 months to a year train 4 nites a week for 2 hours. after 6 months i guarantee they will have a lot of respect for you while sparring ...after a year it will just be a joke...are you going to be the guy who steps up...

why dont you join a creditable muay thai gym or boxing club ?
myb your sparing with someone far better than you which some times can be good e.g I spar muay thai with a 2nd dan taekwondo fighter with 60+ major fights i hold my own an beat him most the time coz of my supeior boxing .
but if he's so much better yu cant get a look in and therefore dont learn anything why dont you join a club who will but u up agains someone more your standard

If you have a glass jaw or are afraid of getting hit then face your fears and do some punch drills in which you will be getting hit. Or ones that you attempt to deflect a punch and if you fail you will get hit. I got news for you if you fight you will get hit. Not being able to take a hit is like a woman that can't cook. You can put her in the kitchen, but she is pretty much useless.

Back