So, I have a torn rotator cuff!!!

PistolPeteMMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I met with an Orthopedic surgon today and he said I have a torn rotator cuff. I had X-Rays done which came back normal and I get an MRI on Wed. He said most likely it will just be P.T. and rest and I should be good to go. He did say that depending on how bad it is that in a worst case senario I could need surgery but he said most likely not at this point.

Last edited:
how did they determine that before the mri?

Well, I met with an Orthopedic surgon today and he said I have a torn rotator cup. I had X-Rays done which came back normal and I get an MRI on Wed. He said most likely it will just be P.T. and rest and I should be good to go. He did say that depending on how bad it is that in a worst case senario I could need surgery but he said most likely not at this point.

I assume you mean rotator cuff.

A cup would be something you use to protect your groin.

The question is did you see a sports Ortho or a regular orthopedic guy? If you saw a regular ortho and he says you won't need surgery what he actually means is "you won't need surgery to do regular run of the mill things like picking up a 10 lb bag of groceries or typing on a keyboard or running in place"

Most of those ortho's only care to get you back to normal everyday activities. If you plan on doing BJJ/Striking then that is a different story and maybe you need surgery.

So I think you should go see a SPORTS ORTHO that specializes in the shoulder. Unless of course that is who you saw.

Congrats! You're a grappler! :D

If you grapple and haven't at some point separated or torn something in your shoulder, then you're a lucky bastard.

Well, honsestly I have the MRI scheduled on Wed. and a follow up with the Orth on Friday. Depending on the results of the MRI I will determine what is needed. If it's a bad tear then I will see if I can see a sports specific Ortho. I let my Dr. know that I train in MMA/BJJ and he asked how important it was to me. I told him on a scale of 1-10 I was at about a 25. If I need surgery then I need surgery. I will do what's best for my body.

what does it feel like? i hurt my shoulder real bad in my FIRST night of bjj doing a sweep from halfguard and im just now, a month later, regaining my strength. i dont have medical insurance so i wasnt able to find out what exactly it was but im doin pushups and everything now so it must not have been so bad..

It's been a month and it's not getting any better. I got swept and when I posted my arm it slipped on the mat and fell behind my back. I landed on my arm with my opponent on top of me. This is how the injury happened.

I am not able to lift my arm above my head in certain positions. It's a very sharp pain and it is difficult to train. I basically have 1 arm but I've been holding my own. The bad news is that I'm right handed and it's my right shoulder so it makes it worse. But when the shoulder is back to normal I'll be a killer on the mats... HAHA

Back