So how about Gus going to HW?

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yeah i know it sounds stupid now, but hear me out...

Before the Gus fight most people thought Jones would do great at HW. He has the natural frame for it, is dominant with his technique etc. etc. Then Gus came and showed that Jones was not invincible. So all of a sudden most people thought Jones could not do well at HW.

So how about the possibility that Jones would still do well at HW but so will Gus? He has more or less the same physical attributes as Jones, and his technique can match him as we have seen.

Of course right now it would be stupid to do so, we finally have a legit rivalry for the LHW title for the first time in years. My point just is: maybe Gus did not expose Jones, maybe we just have another fighter who is just as good and might also be destined to fight at HW one day.

That said, for the record: i don't see either of them becoming the HW champ, but i also didn't see that happen to Jones before the fight with Gus.

As always, English is not my native language, so sorry for possible errors.

Last edited:
There is no reason for that what so ever. He walks around 225-230 so its a easy cut.

When you are 6ft5 or there about it comes down to choice of what you want to do with your body.
What Gus has that Jones does not, is thick strong legs. That is a big advantage (in my eyes), from an anatomical point of view.

It isn't just about putting on weight though, is it? It's about adding good muscle mass and whilst he has some, I can only imagine what kind of changes he'd need to do to himself.

I still feel though, that we shouldn't cry out for either fighter to enter HW until they've had their second bout ;)

There is no reason for that what so ever. He walks around 225-230 so its a easy cut.

Agreed, but my point is: the same goed for Jones... so why was Jones according to some destined to be a HW some day, and Gus is not?

When you are 6ft5 or there about it comes down to choice of what you want to do with your body.
What Gus has that Jones does not, is thick strong legs. That is a big advantage (in my eyes), from an anatomical point of view.

It isn't just about putting on weight though, is it? It's about adding good muscle mass and whilst he has some, I can only imagine what kind of changes he'd need to do to himself.

I still feel though, that we shouldn't cry out for either fighter to enter HW until they've had their second bout ;)

Absolutely, i don't want to see them go to HW at all...

But in regard to the leg part, do you mean that Gus would even have a better chance at HW than Jones?

Neither would do well with the monsters at HW. Was delusional Jon who brought this up first and then it was perpetuated by his delusional fans in the many dozens and dozens of threads they started on the topic. The same delusional fans who later began crying about it when his "haters" flipped the script on them and held it against him, saying he was too big for LHW.

It's all silly nonsense. A mix of delusional Jon nuthuggers and "haters"/trolls.

If Gus beats Jones in the rematch and defends the belt multiple times, the HW superfight talk will be strong.

Gus speed and athleticism is better suited for LHW especially his body. JBJ if he grew tree trunk legs with his athleticism would work much better. His kicks would be crazy powerful.

Gus couldn't even beat Jones. He'd get manhandled at HW.

Even if both were to gain muscle to get to HW, they're not going to be as strong as guys who have been that big nearly all their adult lives and have been carrying that weight around.

Gus couldn't even beat Jones. He'd get manhandled at HW.

Just means both are of similar skill, which could even tell us they both could be successful at HW. Just because it was an even fight doesn't make the (prior to the fight) better fighter a less potential HW success, or the barely losing topchallenger.

You can never dismiss what Bones has done to the division, which also tells us a lot about Gus, based on Gus performance against him.

So does JJ and everybody says he cheats because he is too big. Yet nobody calls for Gus to move up?

The "HWs" I see Jones and Gus beating is Brandon Vera :icon_chee.

Back