So Cain doesn't deserve a rematch but...

Degen Gambler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
He is the betting favorite against Werdum in the rematch.

Cain -130
Werdum +100

www.bestfightodds.com

Had Werdum fought Arlovski he would have likely been a substantial favorite. Cain vs Werdum is a more competitive fight and that's why the UFC made the match up. The same thing goes for Gus vs DC instead of Bader vs DC. Also Robbie and Condit betting odds are very close to even. All the guys getting these "undeserved" title shots represent opposition that is as competitive or more competitive than the alternative.

Seems lines makers believe in sea level Cain.

seems about right. I'd favor Cain more close to -200. The altitude is the main reason Werdum won. The rematch is most likely taking place in Vegas and I see Cain putting in a much better and smarter performance. Cain went in there the first time around thinking he was just going to knockout Werdum and once he wasn't able to, it was all downhill from there with the altitude exhaustion. Sea level cain grinds the fuck out of Werdum and no way a non-gassed Cain taps to a guillotine

seems about right. I'd favor Cain more close to -200. The altitude is the main reason Werdum won. The rematch is most likely taking place in Vegas and I see Cain putting in a much better and smarter performance. Cain went in there the first time around thinking he was just going to knockout Werdum and once he wasn't able to, it was all downhill from there with the altitude exhaustion. Sea level cain grinds the fuck out of Werdum and no way a non-gassed Cain taps to a guillotine

You know Vegas is 2080 feet above sea level right?

A guillotine is a guillotine, it's not exactly a "choice" for a fighter to decide if they want to get out or tap, especially with Werdum. The only choices Cain had at that point were to either tap or pass the fuck out.

Cain's rematch ain't got shit on Gus' TS when it comes to undeserved. Even considering his loss to Werdum, Cain is still the toughest opponent at HW while Bader gives Cormier a tougher fight than Gus imo.

I agree that he should be a slight favorite to win the rematch, but I also disagree with giving him an immediate rematch.

Immediate rematches are stupid and I disagree with them as a matter of principle. Outside of a draw, no contest, or some INCREDIBLY strange and rare turn of events that forces it to happen (and no, I'm not talking about close decisions which happen all the time), immediate rematches should not happen.

There are already too many rematches, and immediate rematches exacerbate the problem. They are also a statement that the first fight didn't count and is now effectively meaningless. As great a fighter as Cain is, I want to see him fight twice again before a rematch with JDS. As a general rule, I think there should be a two-fight minimum before we see rematches.

Soooo many people on this forum are in for a rude awakening.

Cain -130
Werdum +100

www.bestfightodds.com

Had Werdum fought Arlovski he would have likely been a substantial favorite. Cain vs Werdum is a more competitive fight and that's why the UFC made the match up. The same thing goes for Gus vs DC instead of Bader vs DC. Also Robbie and Condit betting odds are very close to even. All the guys getting these "undeserved" title shots represent opposition that is as competitive or more competitive than the alternative.

So let's have the next 10 HW title fights be Werdum vs Cain since it is more of a competitive fight.

What happens if Cain catches Werdum? An immediate rematch for Werdum too?

Cain got blown out in the fight. It wasn't a controversial decision and it wasn't close. Cain should have had to win at least 1 fight before the rematch

I agree the altitude and superior skillset is why Werdun easily won. Oh wait, you left off skillset difference. If altitude was your logic then next time I misspell a word I'm going to blame the pencil! Both make as much sense!

So let's have the next 10 HW title fights be Werdum vs Cain since it is more of a competitive fight.

What happens if Cain catches Werdum? An immediate rematch for Werdum too?

Cain got blown out in the fight. It wasn't a controversial decision and it wasn't close. Cain should have had to win at least 1 fight before the rematch

If Cain gets embarrassed again then he will no longer be viewed as a competitive match up for Werdum and they will move on.

Cain -130
Werdum +100

www.bestfightodds.com

I'm happier with a Condit/Lawler fight then a Hendricks/Lawler 3 fight, but you don't actually believe the betting odds for Hendericks/Lawler 3 would have either man as a substantial favorite given they're 1-1 against one another and cases can be made about the judging in both fights.

i'm sick to death of hearing about Cain. HW has just been about Cain for the last few years. And it hasn't been a fun, interesting conversation. It's been filled with bizarre fights, layoffs, injuries and worse: rematches. And we finally get away from him, and they pull us right back in.

Back