So after the event how do you consider Jones's changes at HW?

Crystalarts

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Prior to this event many people felt Jones would be outside the top 5. DC was going to prove that Jones would struggle to compete at HW.

After the fight how do people feel about Jones at HW? where would he rank? would he have a chance at the championship belt?

I personally don't want to see him there. I don't think there is a challenge for him there. Imagine accomplishing so much so early in your career! surely a young retirement can be expected from Jones. He will be a Dominant champion, millionaire, set up for life, will start a family, etc. etc. other priorities. No need to take any more damage.

Jones has made it very clear that he doesn't really wanna fight at hw let alone talk about it. And the only was he will is against a cherry picked opponent for a fuck ton of money.

If I was jones I would stay at lhw. Although I this he would be good at hw, why risk it. No need. That's like telling Floyd mayweather that he should fight guys 40lbs heavier than him. No thanks.

Still get his ass kicked by the bigger/taller heavies. The only time Jones fought a guy his size/reach, he ended up to the hospital.

Jon would not be a true heavyweight although he can and will carry more than his fighting weight on his frame, he would still be a one of the lightest HW's against true genetic HW's.

He said he fights with 227. I cannot see him beat Cain or even JDS.

Jone is top 3 HW, and easily.

Man, here we go. Dumb fucks only remembering the final two rounds. If I recall correctly Jones was getting boxed the fucked up in the first 3 rounds in the clinch. Imagine if that was someone huge like Werdum? JDS? Cain? Jones would be a top five heavyweight but he can't compete with the top three.

Cain and Werdum beat Bones.

I can see JJ doing well at heavyweight,he pretty much shut down Cormier in the clinch which shocked me.I think he beats JDS but might have a tougher time with Cain.
Last nites fight was an eye opener for me...

He wouldn't beat Cain if that's what you're asking. Jones' amateur level boxing(even that's doing him some justice) will be his downfall. That being said I think Miocic would be a good first fight for him at HW.

not good he hasnt got the necessary ko power, Cain would wreck him imo

He'd be a top HW. THE top HW? Possibly, but not definitely.

The problem Jones at HW is there could be a few matchups against guys who aren't necessarily world beaters but who match up well against Jones particularly. Overeem (Jones doesn't have the KO power to capitalize on Reems inevitable mistakes the way most HWs do) or maybe even a theoretical prime Carwin-type fighter (might be able to walk through the long range strikes to get to the clinch, and not sure Jones could dominate there), for example.

I still say Gustoffson could be a top HW, btw, with possibly even better matchups in that class than Jones.

Still get his ass kicked by the bigger/taller heavies. The only time Jones fought a guy his size/reach, he ended up to the hospital.

Bullshit. Gus has better striking technique and footwork than anyone fighting at HW.

He's a 50/50 against JDS, I'd favour Cain and Werdum to beat him but he'd smash the rest of the division. Can't say I fault him for not wanting to move up, he's obviously a great fit for LHW, and being a wrecking ball and legend there sure beats being a contender at HW.

He's not finishing anyone at HW (besides by cardio), but he'll outpoint ANYONE in the HW division. JDS would be a joke fight, JDS wouldn't land a single punch and would look like he was in slow motion, Werdum would get outclassed, and against Cain it'll look like DC vs Jones, easy point win for Jones. Besides those 3, who's at HW??? Jones would walk thru the HW division with ease. (especially considering how he rag dolled wrestled DC who rumor has it takes to the HW champion in wrestling all the time while training)

Bullshit. Gus has better striking technique and footwork than anyone fighting at HW.

This. I haven't seen people so hung up on the winner getting sent to the hospital since BJ put GSP there. How'd that work out for BJ in the rematch?

Cain would pressure him so hard, it would be like Gus/Jones except Cain would't gas, i think it would he a decision win for Cain.

Also Jones doesn't really seem to have the power to stop Cain, Junior did once at the right time, right place, with the right power.

Werdum would probably do ok standing, try bait Jon into a submission and finish what Belfort couldnt.

Back