Smelly clothes- oxiclean, tide, vinegar, etc.?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MyBodyHurts, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

I know this topic has come up (at least regarding smelly gi's when I searched), but does anyone have any recommendations for eliminating unusual odors from their clothes? Our school has hovered between 94 and 103 degrees over the summer, so I end up with two soaked shirts after two classes, both of which I immediately wash (with Tide Sport) and then hang (outside in the sun as much as I can). The shirts I use aren't old but they've acquired the heat activated phenomenon of having an unusual odor after wearing them for a short period of time.

I know people have recommended soaking them in vinegar and oxiclean. With vinegar, do you soak it in pure white vinegar, diluted, put it in your wash cycle, etc.? How about with oxiclean?

Thanks for any tips.

2. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Do not use undilluted vinegar. You will smell like a giant douche afterwards.

3. hustles

hustles Green Belt

Oxiclean works pretty well in my experience

4. HowUDoin

HowUDoin Yellow Belt

Try either Surf or Arm & Hammer clothes detergent, possibly add a fabric softener as well.

5. hustles

hustles Green Belt

don't use fabric softener on a gi... will cut down its lifespan considerably

6. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Has anyone had experience with steam cleaning Gis?

7. The Victor

The Victor White Belt

sure that would work but probably come at the cost of 10-15 bucks a trip or more

8. OneMoreRoll

OneMoreRoll White Belt

I use oxiclean, but I have found that nothing works like adding a cup of white vinegar to the soak cycle before washing. Smelly-ass rotten clothes forgotten for too long in the gym bag come out smelling brand new.

9. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

I have a high end washer and dryer that has a 2 hour wash cycle, it rules, I would reccomend just running e cycles on your normal washer, use a fraction of the reccomended soap, soap in laundry is mostly a scam, you need half an ounce tops per load

10. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

3 cycles I mean

11. cheeba85

cheeba85 Orange Belt

I add dettol to wash my gi along with detergent

12. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

To get the smell out soak it overnight in a bucket with about 3-4 cups of vinegar, normal amount of detergent, and the rest water. Then dry it in the sun.

To prevent the smell forever (once you get it out with soaking), add a cup of vinegar to your normal wash cycle every time you wash it. Use 1.5-2 cups with a gi, one cup is fine for regular clothes.

13. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

I just use the wash and actually leave it out in the sun and that seems to work very well.

14. daevaux

daevaux White Belt

I use WIN detergent and baking soda, and don't think anything else compares. I train in the mornings and then my gear sits in my bag ALL DAY at work. By night time it stinks. Soak it for 30 minutes, prewash, and then regular cycle.

I've heard conflicting advice about fabric softener.... some say it's bad, some say it's good for the longevity of the fabric.

15. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

just put the clothes in the freezer it kills the bacteria

16. Brad Boulton

Brad Boulton Amateur Fighter

Oxi-Clean works wonders on my gi's rashguards and under armours!

17. gannas

gannas Green Belt

I just did this this week. I had this gi that ever since my trip to Brazil had never been the same (we had to hand wash all our clothes) since I got back. It was funky and no matter how many cycles or how much detergent I used it would not stop smelling. I even left it out in the hot Texas sun for three days and nothing.

So I ended up soakign it in the washing machine with detergent, lots of white vinegar and some fabric softner for about 3 hours then I started the machine. After the wash it didnt smell anymore and its back in the rotation.

18. BJJ 619***

BJJ 619*** White Belt

Source?

19. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I just use detergent and a small cap of bleech. Then in the dryer I throw in like 3-5 scented dryer sheets.

20. rawpower

rawpower Yellow Belt

I've had the stinkiest clothes for the last year. Last week, I bought some Tide Sport with Febreeze. Washed my clothes one time and I've had three compliments this week alone on how good my clothes smell.

People will grapple with me and then say, "They weren't kidding, you do smell really good!" I had tried everything before. Vinegar, pine sol, washing multiple times, etc.

Tide Sport with Febreeze.