Smelly clothes- oxiclean, tide, vinegar, etc.?

MyBodyHurts

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know this topic has come up (at least regarding smelly gi's when I searched), but does anyone have any recommendations for eliminating unusual odors from their clothes? Our school has hovered between 94 and 103 degrees over the summer, so I end up with two soaked shirts after two classes, both of which I immediately wash (with Tide Sport) and then hang (outside in the sun as much as I can). The shirts I use aren't old but they've acquired the heat activated phenomenon of having an unusual odor after wearing them for a short period of time.

I know people have recommended soaking them in vinegar and oxiclean. With vinegar, do you soak it in pure white vinegar, diluted, put it in your wash cycle, etc.? How about with oxiclean?

Thanks for any tips.

Do not use undilluted vinegar. You will smell like a giant douche afterwards.

Oxiclean works pretty well in my experience

Try either Surf or Arm & Hammer clothes detergent, possibly add a fabric softener as well.

Has anyone had experience with steam cleaning Gis?

I use oxiclean, but I have found that nothing works like adding a cup of white vinegar to the soak cycle before washing. Smelly-ass rotten clothes forgotten for too long in the gym bag come out smelling brand new.

I have a high end washer and dryer that has a 2 hour wash cycle, it rules, I would reccomend just running e cycles on your normal washer, use a fraction of the reccomended soap, soap in laundry is mostly a scam, you need half an ounce tops per load

To get the smell out soak it overnight in a bucket with about 3-4 cups of vinegar, normal amount of detergent, and the rest water. Then dry it in the sun.

To prevent the smell forever (once you get it out with soaking), add a cup of vinegar to your normal wash cycle every time you wash it. Use 1.5-2 cups with a gi, one cup is fine for regular clothes.

I just use the wash and actually leave it out in the sun and that seems to work very well.

I use WIN detergent and baking soda, and don't think anything else compares. I train in the mornings and then my gear sits in my bag ALL DAY at work. By night time it stinks. Soak it for 30 minutes, prewash, and then regular cycle.

I've heard conflicting advice about fabric softener.... some say it's bad, some say it's good for the longevity of the fabric.

Oxi-Clean works wonders on my gi's rashguards and under armours!

I just did this this week. I had this gi that ever since my trip to Brazil had never been the same (we had to hand wash all our clothes) since I got back. It was funky and no matter how many cycles or how much detergent I used it would not stop smelling. I even left it out in the hot Texas sun for three days and nothing.

So I ended up soakign it in the washing machine with detergent, lots of white vinegar and some fabric softner for about 3 hours then I started the machine. After the wash it didnt smell anymore and its back in the rotation.

I just use detergent and a small cap of bleech. Then in the dryer I throw in like 3-5 scented dryer sheets.

I've had the stinkiest clothes for the last year. Last week, I bought some Tide Sport with Febreeze. Washed my clothes one time and I've had three compliments this week alone on how good my clothes smell.

People will grapple with me and then say, "They weren't kidding, you do smell really good!" I had tried everything before. Vinegar, pine sol, washing multiple times, etc.

Tide Sport with Febreeze.

Back