Smell the Glove!!!

Meths

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently started Thai boxing and bought my first pair of gloves (12oz Windys) and hand wraps because the gloves supplied by my club absolutley stank of sweat.

Is their anything I can do to stop my nice new gloves starting to smell after a while?

I'm assuming you can't just stick them in the washing machine.

The smell is a sense of accomplishment you should want it. The more they smell the harder you have worked and you should be proud.

Fabreeze the hell out of them, let them air out and not sit in your bag, locker or trunk.

www.SSFgear.com

I get a small sock and I fill it up with cedar chips and I seal it, and shove that in glove. It works for me.

When you are done put some newspaper in them. It will absorb the sweat. And use handwraps every time to avoid having excess sweat in them.

Axe body spray, only watch out not to get jumped by chicks when you start sparing. I did it on my rashguard and right as I stepped on the mat I got jumped by 6 girls I have never seen before :eek: It was tramatic but I got over it.

I agree with Febreeze, get the anti bacterial version.

In ice hockey we use the glove stank as a form of punishment while giving guys the "face wash". Maybe you could adapt the technique to Thai boxing. :)

vanguard_anon said:
In ice hockey we use the glove stank as a form of punishment while giving guys the "face wash". Maybe you could adapt the technique to Thai boxing. :)

Thats what I was implying the smell is from hard work and can be used to an advantage

Bobby Jacobsen said:
When you are done put some newspaper in them. It will absorb the sweat. And use handwraps every time to avoid having excess sweat in them.

That and not letting them stay in your bag will keep 'em from smelling.
Though I'm personally abit lazy at time so I leave them in the bag, though my kneepad gets to hang out by an open window after training.

i use the glovedogs. i hate that smell. especially when you are using your gloves and people who aren't familiar with it starts smelling it when you take it off and start questioning you...

Loving the Spinal Tap quote. One thing that worked for my Goalkeeper gloses is Oust spray. It's an air spray that doesn't mask the smell, it kills the bacteria that causes the smell.

There's also medicated powders you can put in them after training. But get used to the proverbial "bootie stank" on all your gear. It's un-avoidable.

I've never don't shit to my gloves accept air them out (not even everytime). Just wash your hand wraps.

Let them get bad enough and your opponent will tap from the smell, easy win!

I saw you post and my smart alek answer and figured I should write something more useful. :)

In hockey the smells associated with wet equipment can be *really* bad. A sure fire way to get an awful odor and shorten the life of your gear is to leave it in the bag. I used to take my gear upstairs, lay it all out for a day or so, then put it back in the bag. That method was good for the equipment but really a PITA to deal with. For the last couple of years I've had a much better method.

I bought a wet that hangs on the wall and mounted it in my garage. Now when I come home it's right there inside the door so I don't have to haul my stuff upstairs. Also, any odor there might be while it's airing out isn't noticable in the garage like it was in the house. Finally, I don't have to put the gear back in the bag until the day I use it.

Here are a few examples of wet racks for hockey gear. I think they will work for fight gear just as well. (After all, isn't hockey equipment fight gear too? :) )

I use one like this:
wallrack.jpg

Some people like the kind that sits on the floor:
sportrack.jpg

I just happen to have a picture of my garage (used as a woodworking shop) that shows my rack all loaded up. Those are gloves and elbow pads sticking up and drying off.
DCP_2953.jpg

Back