slow choke escape

stabmasterarson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I keep getting slow choked by some wrestlers in my BJJ class. They get the side mount, then they rest their side on my chest, while facing me, and basically headlock me from that position, forcing my head into their chest while keeping all their weight on me. These guys are strong and this seems to be a pure strength situation. I try to get underhooks from my back, then my head is isolated, and it happens, as sure as the damn tide coming in.

I've been doing BJJ for 3 months, so I am a noob..no real hs wrestling experience.

what should I do here?

btw, I have way better gas than these gorillas, and if I can avoid these kind of pure power submissions they use on me, I usually gas em out, but this is goddamn frustrating.

Always get to a side if you can. Get a good post. I like to put my elbow between their hips and me to kind of keep them away. This creates space. The whole thing is, on defense, create space. Since they are on offense, they want to take away space. You don't want that. Talk to the instructors and have them spend some time with you on good hand posistion from X bottom.

first is relax dont think you need to tap cause you dont.... if its slow you can get out of it.. bridge towards them and make them think your moving that way, on arm under one over then explode to the other side(bridge) and pull them over your body and now you should be on top... if you need an easy way to get out, put your hand on their shoulder, forearm across their neck with your thumb pointed away and use the blade of your forearm on their neck and push to get space.. they wont like it and theyll let up

What you are describing sounds like kesa-gatame/scarf-hold. Easy escape, push your feet into the ground like you are doing a leg press and then bridge your back and roll your arms and shoulders(and them) to your left or right side then you will be in side mont on them. It sounds like it takes alot of power but it doesnt.

get your forearm on their throat to create space then get to your side and start working your escapes just don't panic everytime you feel them going for that i used to do that and the more relaxed you stay the longer you will last

Sohei said:
What you are describing sounds like kesa-gatame/scarf-hold. Easy escape, push your feet into the ground like you are doing a leg press and then bridge your back and roll your arms and shoulders(and them) to your left or right side then you will be in side mont on them. It sounds like it takes alot of power but it doesnt.
I'd just like to say I've never seen this work except when drilling.

Kawlinz said:
I'd just like to say I've never seen this work except when drilling.

I dont know man works for me every time. :D Although people dont get me in the position that often so who knows.

Back