Slap Boxing

T

TapOutGrapler

Okay this is for any one who has done slap boxing or pankration. I want to know how you guys slap. Personally, I like to hit with my palm all the way out at 90o's and hit with my wrist bone.I dropped this one kid just by using that kinda "slap". I've heard that cupping the hands work great against the cheeks.

what is the deal with slap boxing anywayz? i allways saw this being done in movies were guys are living in the ghetto. can this "slap boxing" actually be somthing that can be benificial to standup?

just slap with straight out hand, it may bend in some while swinging though. In slap boxing, always throw 'power' slaps.

You want to hit with the horseshoe of your palm. Right down the middle of your hand but all the way to the bottom of your palm where your wrist is about to start.

Ya, jabbing or palm thrusting doesnt seem to work when I'm Slap Boxing. When I do pankration, i just tell them no closed fist, and they think its slap boxing, then i kick em in the leg and drop a bomb of the same side.

But how would hand positioning work?

if the fingers are spread wide open, you get more spread area and the slap goes faster because its breaking air. a cupped hand might create a suction of some sort. hitting with just the fingers make for a nice sting, finger tips might work pretty good, hitting with the "knuckle" part of the palm could do suffiecient damage-just not as much as a punch. hitting with just the palm and the fingers curved up dont work for me. the bottom half of the palm is a great substitute for the wrist bone.

what about backhanding tho?what if you curved you fingers in and hit with the knuckles. or would keeping them out work better? how about rolling your fingers in a semi fist?

does like that sideways haymaker/chop that hits with the index knuckle and the thumb work? does a vertical karate chop have any more effect than a downward punch??

sir037 said:
You want to hit with the horseshoe of your palm. Right down the middle of your hand but all the way to the bottom of your palm where your wrist is about to start.

i just slapped myself like that....ouch...makes a sting

haha

Pancrase used to have slapp wrestling/fight/mma. and bas rutten is the man you should ask cuz he used them efficiently!

First, I walk with a limp. Second, I put my right hand (palm touching) my left hip bone. Third, I say don't look a pimp in the eyes, hoe!. And finally, tuck your right shoulder in a bit, thrust your elbow across your body, throwing your hand across your opponents right cheek bone. Works every time.

In training, I've heard of guys using slap boxing as sort of a light-contact sparring. As a strike, an open-handed slap, especially over the ear, can be devastating. I once read an article by a guy who worked many years as a bouncer who claimed they were awesome for ending a fight in one shot, and he had perfected delivering them in such a way that his intended mark couldn't see it coming (and the effectiveness of the technique was enhanced by the humiliation most guys feel getting bitch-slapped unconscious). I believe the concussive force caused by a slightly-cupped hand over the ear disrupts the cochlea in your inner ear, which causes loss of balance and brief disorientation.

I mayself can attest to it's effectiveness; I got jumped once, a long time ago, and one of the guys caught me with an open-hand slap I hardly saw coming; I went down like a sack of potatoes.

if you slap the ear with a cupped hand or both hands, both ears you can destroy his eardrums and he will hear a lot of PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and maybe even go down, it works really good :icon_twis

when i slap box i barely touch them to be nice and they rarely ever catch me but when it does it hurts and thats when i kick it up a notch and show them that when it comes to fighting im an old man

Gregster said:
In training, I've heard of guys using slap boxing as sort of a light-contact sparring. As a strike, an open-handed slap, especially over the ear, can be devastating. I once read an article by a guy who worked many years as a bouncer who claimed they were awesome for ending a fight in one shot, and he had perfected delivering them in such a way that his intended mark couldn't see it coming (and the effectiveness of the technique was enhanced by the humiliation most guys feel getting bitch-slapped unconscious). I believe the concussive force caused by a slightly-cupped hand over the ear disrupts the cochlea in your inner ear, which causes loss of balance and brief disorientation.

I mayself can attest to it's effectiveness; I got jumped once, a long time ago, and one of the guys caught me with an open-hand slap I hardly saw coming; I went down like a sack of potatoes.

holy shit if you lightly slap your head over the ear (while hung over) you can really feel how devastating that slap is. its like hit by a flying beanbag.. interesting because a punch to the head doesnt hurt but i think a slap over the ear would put me out too

Gregster said:

My friend had his eardrum perforated (sp?) with one of those in a slap boxing tournament we had hahaha, he posts on here, he can tell you about it.

OpethDrums said:
holy shit if you lightly slap your head over the ear (while hung over) you can really feel how devastating that slap is. its like hit by a flying beanbag.. interesting because a punch to the head doesnt hurt but i think a slap over the ear would put me out too

HUNTERMANIA!!! said:
My friend had his eardrum perforated (sp?) with one of those in a slap boxing tournament we had hahaha, he posts on here, he can tell you about it.

Yep. a properly-applied slap is no joke. Simultaneously slapping both ears if someone is on top of you is a great way to put them into too much pain, disorientation, or both to continue.

There is a pro boxer who you could all learn from. He's undefeated and likes to slap the shit out of his opponents. His name's Joe Calzaghe. You may have heard of him before.

I would prob only use slaps in the street. Yes you can knock a MF out with them!

My favourite way to use them is 1,2 open palm hooks (cipped hands) to the ears. Def works. Disorientates opponent, then follow with knee to groin, stomach, face, or all.
MF goes straight down either way.

Back