Sky Pundits and Viewers rate Lomachenko #1 P4P

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Sky asked several of it's boxing pundits to give their own P4P ratings. They were Johnny Nelson, Carl Froch, Matthew Macklin and Tony Bellew. All except Johnny Nelson had Lomachenko as their #1 P4P fighter.
Sky voters get the chance to vote for their P4P on Friday.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...eksandr-usyk-and-vasyl-lomachenko-in-his-list

EDIT: The Sky viewers have voted and according to them Lomachenko is the top P4P boxer in the world today. But he only just beat out GGG who came a close second.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...ko-voted-worlds-best-boxer-in-sky-sports-poll

Last edited:
I saw this several days ago. Who did Nelson pick as his #1? Just curious.

Edit. Ah, he picked GGG? Hmmm.

Yeah I didn't think much of Johnny Nelson's list overall. He had Spence down at number 8 just one place up from Deontay Wilder at 9. I'm sorry but what has Wilder done except beat an old Ortiz to warrant him being at number 9 P4P. And that put him ahead of Inoue at 10. I'll be interested to see the results for the Sky viewers.

Yeah I didn't think much of Johnny Nelson's list overall. He had Spence down at number 8 just one place up from Deontay Wilder at 9. I'm sorry but what has Wilder done except beat an old Ortiz to warrant him being at number 9 P4P. And that put him ahead of Inoue at 10. I'll be interested to see the results for the Sky viewers.
I don't disagree with you about where those guys are ranked. When I glance at them I really only look at the Top 5, particularly the Top 3. Beyond the Top 3/Top 5 it becomes much more subjective and blurry. I'll be interested in the Sky viewers' poll too. It will be interesting to see how they vote. Do you know how long the Sky viewers' poll will run?

My personal top 10
1) Loma
2) GGG
3) Crawford
4) Mikey Garcia
5) SSR
6) Spence
7) Inoue
8) Usyk
9) Joshua
10) Wilder

I don't disagree with you about where those guys are ranked. When I glance at them I really only look at the Top 5, particularly the Top 3. Beyond the Top 3/Top 5 it becomes much more subjective and blurry. I'll be interested in the Sky viewers' poll too. It will be interesting to see how they vote. Do you know how long the Sky viewers' poll will run?

I got a little confused as they said the results would be out on Friday but it looks like the results are already out so no chance to vote. And Lomachenko has been voted #1 P4P by the Sky viewers.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...ko-voted-worlds-best-boxer-in-sky-sports-poll

I got a little confused as they said the results would be out on Friday but it looks like the results are already out so no chance to vote. And Lomachenko has been voted #1 P4P by the Sky viewers.

Interesting. Loma narrowly edged Golovkin. I was honestly expecting the battle between #1 and #2 to be between Loma and Crawford. All but one of the panelists you mentioned (Froch, Macklin and Bellew) had it in favor of Loma except, as you mentioned, Nelson, who voted GGG as his #1 P4P. Their viewers' poll reflects the same results as their panelists for the #1 and #2 spots when you think of it that way.

Last edited:
Interesting. Loma narrowly edged Golovkin. I was honestly expecting the battle between #1 and #2 to be between Loma and Crawford. All but one of the panelists you mentioned (Nelson, Froch, Macklin and Bellew) had it in favor of Loma except, as you mentioned, Nelson, who voted GGG as his #1 P4P. Their viewers' poll reflects the same results as their panelists for the #1 and #2 spots when you think of it that way.

I was surprised that Terrence Crawford did get rated higher by the viewers but that may be because he's not as well known in the UK as GGG. He still got in a #3 which isn't too bad.

I was surprised that Terrence Crawford did get rated higher by the viewers but that may be because he's not as well known in the UK as GGG. He still got in a #3 which isn't too bad.
Is Lomachenko that well known in the UK? I know he was as an amateur (which isn't saying a lot tbh) but he's never fought there as a pro nor has he ever fought a Brit thus far. GGG has of course (speaking of Macklin).

Is Lomachenko that well known in the UK? I know he was as an amateur (which isn't saying a lot tbh) but he's never fought there as a pro nor has he ever fought a Brit thus far. GGG has of course (speaking of Macklin).
I think he's fairly well known by anyone that takes more than a glancing interest in boxing or MMA. I doubt the average joe on the street knows who he is though.

i understand why some people would have a problem with putting lomachenko at #1 p4p, but as far as i'm concerned, he is easily the most skilled boxer right now.

i understand why some people would have a problem with putting lomachenko at #1 p4p, but as far as i'm concerned, he is easily the most skilled boxer right now.
Yeah the people who complain the most will bring up his less than elite competition (apart from small Rigo) and his one loss. But those that rate P4P by eyesight in terms of ability will put him rightly at #1. P4P. He's the most skilled boxer around today and will also be in terms of most skilled ever.

Golovkin, I'm a fan, but I think he's p4p way overrated.
Should he win or draw against Canelo next fight he will have the record for most consecutive successful middleweight title defenses at 21, he's tied with B-hop right now. He's really not overrated, especially when you had a whole division duck you

Back