Skipping a meal.... good for you??

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been cutting back on my snacking.... and dropping the amount of carbs I've been eating. And I'm losing weight. It's a good feeling. Not necessarily doing a keto or paleo diet, but something kind of close to it.

It has been suggested to me a few times now to considered occasionally skipping a couple of meals during the week.
Since I don't really snack anymore I kind of rely on those meals a bit more. But I'm interested in giving it a shot.

I've been told that it's not completely true that skipping a meal will throw your body into a 'starvation mode' (something that I would regularly hear throughout my life). And that it will actually aid in both a healthy diet and losing weight.

Can anyone speak to the truth to this? Or shoot it to shit? Either way. Thanks

It's not going to do much. People have been missing occasional meals for thousands of years now. I wouldn't start skipping meals regularly but I wouldn't sweat one, I don't usually eat on planes and places like that and nothing bad happens. You could probably even fast 24 hours once a week and be ok.

Why not just eat fewer calories without having to skip any meals?

I've been skipping meals off and on for a few years. Basically I make it a point to eat when I'm hungry more than being on a time schedule. I've lost a few pounds since I began doing that.

I skipped dinner last night because I've got a stomach bug I might skip breakfast too because im sick and tired of going tonthebtoilet. So far nothing too bad has happened...

I have no issue with IF or eating smaller meals during the day so i basically agree with Kill Kill and others.
I know for myself if i'm not in the mood to use an iron will, IF or skipping meals will make me binge eat with the fury of a wolverine. I find eating smaller meals helps control my binge habits. But skipping a meal wont hurt you per se, you just mind find at some point you may binge eat which wont suit your goals.

I think you'll be fine. I don't follow meal timing and normally eat 3 times a day. On the weekends I eat twice a day (total calories and macros are the same, I just have larger meals). I've done it on a cut successfully, and I'm enjoying it now on a bulk.

Some folks do well eating 5-7 times, I am able to curb my craving and have long term success by eating less frequent and larger meals.

Calories in, calories out.

Let's not make it anymore complicated than this.

Back