Skill and Porwer

serima

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been wondering a long time is it good to do situps and puchups same day when you have BJJ. Will i learn technic better if i stop doing puchups and situps?

i dont think it will help.

For muscle develop maybe it could result in over training.. But it will aclimate your body to training hard day in day out. I would say keep doing the situps and push ups. IF you want to learn technic better ad a day or days in of just bjj drills..

I do push ups and sit ups every morning and before i go to bed and i don't think it effects my training at all

I don't really worry too much about doing any additional push-ups or sit-ups to those that we do in BJJ class. I'm looking to get most of my muscular endurance from grappling itself.

I do 2 or 3 heavy ab work-outs a week as part of a powerlifting style program in order to increase my power/limit strength. It's can be a bit much along with BJJ 3x a week and MMA once a week, but I just take time off (the powerlifting) when needed.

I doubt doing the push-ups and sit-ups is going to harm you in anyway. Just take time off if you feel a bit burnt out.

i'm not complaining or knocking you, because you obviously did get some responses here and it is related to this forum... but if you're concerned with muscle recovery rates and improving strength and whatnot, you might find more/better responses in the strength and power forum

pushups & situps will not harm your training, just make sure you have time to recover before class.

I often lift weights on BJJ training days, I just do it 5-6 hours before BJJ. I only ran into problems on leg day, I will never do squats on a BJJ training day again.

I always work out on the days that i train. Technique takes over when youre tired and youve got nothing left. I always make sure my muscles are tired before i get on the mat.

serima said:
I have been wondering a long time is it good to do situps and puchups same day when you have BJJ. Will i learn technic better if i stop doing puchups and situps?

You're not going to build much power with push-ups and situps unless you're adding weight, doing one-handed, etc. It shouldn't affect any way you "learn" the technique. Unless you're doing hundreds and thousands of each right before class, there should be no effect. Those exercises aren't very stressful to your system. Just don't do wall squats or jump squats (since you seem to like bodyweight stuff) before class. Legs and thighs take a LOT longer time to recover than abs or pecs/triceps...like days..

It should not affect you as your body will adapt to the additional exercise you do. Pushups and situps are part of my daily routine and help me rather than hurt my overall conditioning. I feel that it does not necessarily add to technique other than I have more strength for my body weight than guys who normally just exercise when training.

To answer the question: I wouldn't stop doing pushups and situps as the effect is negligible on technique in my opinion.

Back