Sizing of Clinch gear shorts and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu shorts?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by rcgeoffrey, Sep 23, 2013.

1. rcgeoffrey

rcgeoffrey White Belt

Hi guys,

I've been practicing MMA for about ten months and I'm really into it, so I think its time for me to invest more and get something better than my t-shirt and mesh shorts

I have recently taken interst in the
    Clinch Gear Pro Series Shorts
    and the
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Original Black Fight Shorts

but the problem is I have a 29" waist but the closest size provided by both of the products are 28" and 30" :rolleyes:

I can't decide on which size to buy (or should I even buy it at all) as I have seen people on the Net saying that Clinch Gear shorts are not very adjustable and I so far have got nothing on the GJJ ones. If the aboves are no-gos, then which one would you guys suggest? Any advice is welcomed :)

Thank you in advance!

P.S.: Trying them in shops are not an option as MMA is not big in the place I live and nearly nobody sells MMA stuff here, not mentioning Clinch Gear or GJJ products...(They only sell expensive **** like Hyabusa! Darn!)

2. warpaulharris

warpaulharris White Belt

I have a 28-29 inch waist as well, and I own Clinch Gear shorts in both size 28 and size 30. If you decide to go with Clinch shorts, you should definitely go for the size 28 shorts. I have 3 pairs, two 28s and one 30. I only use the size 30 for the gym or running, since the waist is a bit big (ordering the 30 was a mistake in retrospect, but I still try to use the shorts). I used the 28s for muay thai, but I don't do no-gi, so I can't comment on that. It is true that the shorts aren't very adjustable, but I really like the Clinch shorts.

I also own a pair of Venum shorts (30), Hayabusa (30), and two pairs of Datsusara Hemp Fight Shorts (30). Given your small waist (that's meant as a compliment!), I'd say either Clinch or Datsusara shorts would be the way to go. Chris Odell is really great w/ customer service, and I really like the DS shorts as well. I will say that the DS shorts I got were irregular, in that a particular batch came out 2 sizes too small (i.e., the 30s fit like 28s, the 28s fit like 26s, etc.), so if you order from a regular batch just go with a size 28. Hope that helps!

3. 1strikeclothing

1strikeclothing Silver Belt

All sizes are in 2" increments. MMA shorts tend to run a little larger.

I can fit a 28" pair of shorts but I usually go with 30-32 for comfort. I would recommend shorts that can stretch. So for your size I'd go with 30 or 28 if you want a snug fit.

We sell Warrior shorts that may suit your needs a the price range you are in.

This is what we stock and if you have any questions, please PM or reply here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1strike_mma/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

4. Deathstriker

Deathstriker I eat Simba and wear his skin

CG runs big so go with 28. You can always overlap the velcro.

5. rcgeoffrey

rcgeoffrey White Belt

thanks guys, went for 2 28" ones

6. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I would also make sure you're measuring by where you want your shorts to sit. I like mine higher than I wear casual clothes so I go a size down. (30" walk shorts, 28" clinch gear)