• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Size does seriously matter after all...

u have never trained grappling a day in your life though and by your vids u are not a large man

I have not trained in any but i have grappled since I was a boy, including against grapplers, and held my own. And I beat grown men in arm-wrestling as a 15 year old.

I'm 186 cm, 192 reach. Not exactly small.

Just curious, what's the down-side to the Keto approach? What if you're eating plenty of fats for energy and are not in a caloric deficit? Isn't it essentially the same as the paleo diet in that it empahsizes eating natural foods?

Size does matter if you are both equally experienced. For example im a 62kg purple belt and have problem keeping 100kg plus opponents on their backs.

The thing is if you are lighter it's inadvisable to stay on a static pin , I regularly change position and don't stay on one spot for long

North south is my preferred position on someone who is much bigger than me ,

Have your strength levels declined as well? You might have lost a lot of muscle, in addition to the fat - crash dieting and losing muscle is not a good thing, generally speaking. If you eat well and strength train you should get your strength and muscle back again, hopefully without the fat this time.

If you can end up with comparable strength and muscle levels and less fat, it should help your performance, not hurt it. That has been my experience - I haven't found fat to be helpful at all.

240 pounds here and not super athletic at all. My style is be heavy on an opponent, force them to move and expose an arm, then I get the grips I want for kimura / arm bar. I roll with an older brown belt who is roughly the same size as me, and he shows me a lot that others have not, in terms of how to retain a top position against someone strong enough to just roll you if you make a mistake. Details like weight distribution and pressure, etc. Its eye-opening because he makes me pay for mistakes made in top position that I wouldn't worry about as much with smaller people.

I think it depends on the discipline. Stand up grappling (especially with open/MMA rules) favours power over technique. BJJ less so.

Being new to grappling I have been humbled on a weekly basis in BJJ. Guys (and some ladies) half my size have easily subbed me. With the Gi skill level counts for a lot. I have been steadily losing weight throughout the year (with some setbacks lol) and while there is a sweet spot between weight and overall fitness/athleticism (ie don't be a fat bastard) there is no denying being heavier than your opponents is generally a positive.
Having said that I attended a catch wrestling seminar after only a couple of months of BJJ during which I steamrollered the same blue/purple belts who made me look foolish in Gi classes. And that was while being nice - I could have just picked them up and slammed them at virtually any point. On "the streets" it would have been game over.

as 215 pounds and used to beat the s* out of people in grappling.. Did keto now I'm 180 , same weight as these same people and I couldn't do s* to some of them. I've doing judo since 6 and Jiu-Jitsu since 16 so the technique is there, I didn't thought I was using so much strength... But apparently I was. Seems to be inevitable to use to much strength when you have the size advantage.

I starting to ear carbs I miss that weight and a lot to be honest.

Did you lose muscle mass? I lost 20lbs one year and actually got better. I dropped from 250lbs to 220lbs. But it was just fat. Probably put on a couple lbs of muscle. If Keto depletes your strength, that's just one more reason I will avoid it. I'll stick to losing weight the natural way.

Arm wrestling champion even intentionally puts himself in submissions and the master still can't finish him

Lol. Which one is supposed to be a jiujitsu master?

It has to do with which energy systems you are using. In BJJ/MMA, you're doing burst effort, which is glycolytic. It relies upon glucose.
https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/...systems-atp-pc-glycolytic-and-oxidative-oh-my

To expand on this: keto might work for weight lifting or ultra endurance, or maybe BJJ once a week, but even then, it's probably not optimal. I'd say it's a great tool for people who are metabolically broken, have certain health issues, or want to shake things up to lose some weight, but it doesn't work for sport performance. And it's not meant to be done year-round either.

When you’re bigger you can make up for not as good technique sometimes or rely on pinning instead of moving.

Just curious, what's the down-side to the Keto approach? What if you're eating plenty of fats for energy and are not in a caloric deficit? Isn't it essentially the same as the paleo diet in that it empahsizes eating natural foods?

So, I did keto for a little over a year not long ago. Started November of 2017 and officially stopped around June of this year. Keto helped me get down lower in weight more easily than I had before. Previously I would struggle to cut weight below 200. On keto, I easily went under 185. I did jiujitsu the whole time and competed several times.

Here's my takeaway on the down side as a jiujitsu guy. Energy is a huge problem. I felt like I was dying the first few times I did a full workout. I eventually discovered that I could deal with a regular class without much issue but once I added the hour rolling class after, I was doomed. So, I ended up needing to do a targeted keto approach to have enough energy to make it through. Even with this, my gas tank never felt more than 75% at best. And I don't really feel like this is even correct. I wasn't sucking wind all the time, just earlier and I felt weaker all the time.

as 215 pounds and used to beat the s* out of people in grappling.. Did keto now I'm 180 , same weight as these same people and I couldn't do s* to some of them. I've doing judo since 6 and Jiu-Jitsu since 16 so the technique is there, I didn't thought I was using so much strength... But apparently I was. Seems to be inevitable to use to much strength when you have the size advantage.

I starting to ear carbs I miss that weight and a lot to be honest.

I weigh 145 and can still jack up people larger than me up. That said, when someone is bigger and the same skill, weight and power certainly play a part. I have to be quicker and more cunning in my strategy. That said, with they have the same skill and strategy I get jacked

Back