• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Six signature moves of TJ Dillashaw (gifs heavy)

D3tocqueville

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
For last three days I've been breaking down the first fight between TJ Dillashaw and Renan Barao and I thought I would share the techniques that Alpha Male fighter used most often. I can post only six gifs/pictures, so...

Uppercut after takedown feint
tjvsbarao12.gif
TJ used it a few times against the Brazilian - some of them hit the target, some other didn't. He was always doing it from orthodox stance and always reaching with his left hand for right leg of Barao to feint a takedown - the Brazilian would then move his head down straight into the uppercut.

Classic overhand right
tjvsbarao24.gif
There is nothing special about this technique BUT Dillashaw used so many unorthodox stuff that it was very unpredictible for Barao to foresee something as uncomplicated as an overhand right - in result he got dropped in the first. TJ repeated it a few more times later during the fight.

Right hook from southpaw
tjvsbarao43.gif
That was one of the favourite Dillashaw's technique in their first fight. TJ would first suggest with his legs movement (especially left one) that he is going to switch to orthodox and attack with the cross, but then he feints left straight and at the same time he steps far outside of Barao's front leg, switches to southpaw and unleashes short right hook. He used it a LOT.

Left cross to right hook/cross
tjvsbarao14.gif
That's quite similar to the previous one but in this one TJ actually attacks with the cross from southpaw, steps outside of Barao's front leg and continues with short right hook or cross (he is now in orthodox stance). He was very successful with it and was catching surprised Barao completely off guard.

Bouncing + cross
tjvsbarao67.gif
It's pretty similar to the above but there were two variations of it. Dillashaw was either bouncing to the right then left and then attacking with left cross, or to the right-left-right and attacking with a right.

Head kick after takedown/middlekick feint
tjvsbarao56.gif
That was by far the most devastating technique. TJ would lower his position as if he was going try a takedown/middlekick which resulted in Barao moving his hands down and then Dillashaw would unleash a headkick. He is well known from using it since he knocked down Tamura with it and tried it many times later.

---

Of course there were also legkicks and middlekicks that Dillashaw used very often but I can't post any more gifs, so...

The full breakdown with almost 80 gifs (mostly the same techniques I listed above) can be found in the links of the gifs.

Head kick after takedown/middlekick feint
tjvsbarao56.gif
That was by far the most devastating technique. TJ would lower his position as if he was going try a takedown/middlekick which resulted in Barao moving his hands down and then Dillashaw would unleash a headkick. He is well known from using it since he knocked down Tamura with it and tried it many times later.

I think he uses this technique the best

he got Hugo Viana, Issei Tamura, and Barao with this one on numerous occasions

really hope he embarasses Barao again

Pretty impressive work. Now i have to watch the fight again to see some of those moves again.

I'm sure ludwig deserves a lot of credit for this preparation, but TJ is obviously good enough to understand and perfect these techniques. It's surprising to see how easily he was able to do all this to barao. Especially moving outside and landing the right hook. As if barao is just not used to dealing with these kinds of techniques at all.

He's the Michael Jordan of moving, Joe.

Mike Goldberg: "He's like the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu!"

Joe Rogan: "No, he's not"

Mike Goldberg: "Larry Bird?"

Joe Rogan: "Uhm, no."

Mike Goldberg: "Kobe Bryant?"

Joe Rogan: "..."

Good times.

Very impressive analysis and impressive moves from Dillashaw. Also surprised Barao couldn't defend well against it. Hasn't he dealt with that stuff before? Maybe it's cause his head wasn't all there cause of the hits he took.

Nice breakdown. The fight really was beautiful to watch and I am looking forward to the second one even more now. The only thing that

Dillashaw put on masterful performance think he can piece it together again. He keeps getting better every single time we see him.

Very impressive analysis and impressive moves from Dillashaw. Also surprised Barao couldn't defend well against it. Hasn't he dealt with that stuff before? Maybe it's cause his head wasn't all there cause of the hits he took.

Barao was having problems with Winland's style aswell before the spinning back kick. Barao is flat footed and slow compared to TJ he needs to take a different approach in the rematch.

Barao got hit with the overhand right because he got hit with the uppercut a few times in the same sequence. Was a perfect set up, barao eyes look at the right hand, and he moves his head back thinking an uppercut is coming again instead coming forward expecting a takedown. Bam

Mike Goldberg: "He's like the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu!"

Joe Rogan: "No, he's not"

Mike Goldberg: "Larry Bird?"

Joe Rogan: "Uhm, no."

Mike Goldberg: "Kobe Bryant?"

Joe Rogan: "..."

Good times.

ROgan: "I don't know any other basketball players."

Back