since ben askren talks alot of s---- about ufc fighters lately, watch this fight

is that santos guy really like 60-13 or is that record not even confirmed?

Shields enterted the Ufc after a win over Dan Henderson....I think that’s fighting the best

That's true, but his point was that Shields was underwhelming in the UFC...aside from his win against Woodley...well, that whole fight was underwhelming too.

Maybe I'm remembering the fight a bit wrong then.

I don't remember the final scores, but the fight clearly changed after Shields' eye poke. GSP was telling his corner how much it was bothering him and he wasn't the same. He won every round before that.

As for the Askren-Shields comparison, while Askren has better TDs and pure wrestling, Shields has a lot more experience, high-volume pitter-patter striking (which has actually won fights for him) and high-level BJJ. I'm not sure if Askren would try to outgrapple Maia as confidently as Shields did...because he really trusted his submission defense.

Luis Santos is an enormous WW that fought at MW with, at the time, 72 fights and hadn't lost in 4 years.

You haven't heard of him because you're a goob.

Normally I’d say he’s overrated but he did completely dismantle Lima and Koreshkov, those are some solid wins.

is that santos guy really like 60-13 or is that record not even confirmed?

60-14. There's an undocumented fight against 400-1 Rickson Gracie where Santos gets arm barred at the beach.

Askren got worked pretty badly in that fight, I definitely view it as an L. Though didn't Santos come in way overweight? Or was that the rematch?

Luis Santos is an enormous WW that fought at MW with, at the time, 72 fights and hadn't lost in 4 years.

You haven't heard of him because you're a goob.

Kind of Travis Fulton-ish record, though. Tons of wins over no-names in small orgs...usually loses to known fighters.

I don't remember the final scores, but the fight clearly changed after the eye poke. GSP was telling his corner how much it was bothering him and he wasn't the same. He won every round before that.
i recall that as well. after that i think him and gsp just struck for the rest of the fight

They aren't "cans" but (a) both were greener back then, especially Koreshkov and (b) both were favorable stylistic opponents (relatively weak wrestling).

Jay Hieron, 0-4 in the UFC and finished by GSP and Woodley, gave Askren about all he could handle due to his wrestling.

A. I could say everyone was greener back then for every loss they have. B. They're great fighters now, and back then, and he beat both of them.

And who cares about Jay Hieron. Jake Shields beat Woodley in the standup and took 2 rounds from GSP in a standup fight, does that mean that Ellenberger has better standup than Woodley and GSP because he finished Shields in less than a minute?

A. I could say everyone was greener back then for every loss they have. B. They're great fighters now, and back then, and he beat both of them.

And who cares about Jay Hieron. Jake Shields beat Woodley in the standup and took 2 rounds from GSP in a standup fight, does that mean that Ellenberger has better standup than Woodley and GSP because he finished Shields in less than a minute?

I've already addressed the GSP-Shields myth multiple times on this thread. It appears you just believe what you want, regardless of evidence or context.

If Askren is getting paid more than what the UFC is willing to pay him then he has no reason to switch. Him gloating and talking shit is obviously to get attention (and it seems to be working?).

I'm not sure we know the whole story there. He kept asking to be let go and I'm not totally sure why they did let him go. If I had to guess, it was because he was boring and a non draw and not good for the division. But I'm not sure if they told him he needed to be more entertaining before dumping him.

how about Bjorn Rebney was an idiot.

So? Khabib barely scraped by Gleison Tibau. People improve and styles make fights.

I've already addressed the GSP-Shields myth multiple times on this thread. It appears you just believe what you want, regardless of evidence or context.

Sorry I don't read every post you make, but I'm pretty sure you said something about an eye poke. Fact is, Shields won 2 rounds on 2 judges scorecards. Your opinion on why he won those rounds is irrelevant.

Sorry I don't read every post you make, but I'm pretty sure you said something about an eye poke. Fact is, Shields won 2 rounds on 2 judges scorecards. Your opinion on why he won those rounds is irrelevant.

GSP was dominating before a very blatant eyepoke by Shields. After that, GSP's output clearly declined. Without the eye poke or some other dirty tactic, GSP 50-45s Shields all day.

So? Khabib barely scraped by Gleison Tibau. People improve and styles make fights.

But Askren didn't. The same weaknesses against Hieron were apparent against Santos and the few opponents in OneFC he faced who weren't total cans.

GSP was dominating before a very blatant eyepoke by Shields. After that, GSP's output clearly declined. Without the eye poke or some other dirty tactic, GSP 50-45s Shields all day.

Well... Shields won 2 rounds according to 2 judges. So again, your opinion is irrelevant.

Without his corner greasing his chest, BJ Penn dominates GSP... I can play this ridiculous game too

Back