SIMILARITIES: Junior Dos Santos and BJ Penn

hydrobadazz

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just like the title says, do you see any similarities?

1. Fighting style

2. Footwork

3. Camps

4. Pre-fight talk

5. Heart

JDS surrounds himself with a bunch of yes-men and a##kissers who constantly massage his ego. But, he trains incredible hard for his fights.
BJ on the other hand, never trained hard for any fight except after his loss to GSP in the title defense against Florian.

I'm surprised he gassed so quickly. They do have similar cardio.

I will grade each of the following qualities as comparisons between the two. I am not as educated as some on here so these may be a bit off but should be close.

Just like the title says, do you see any similarities?

1. Fighting style B - BJ was not so afraid to go to the ground, showed good Jiu Jitsu and was not necessarily known for having crazy power, but they both clearly have a penchant for boxing, don't kick much and prefer to stay out of the clinch

2. Footwork A - They both have good footwork, though perhaps there is something deeper to be gleaned from this, I dont know

3. Camps don't know, no comment

4. Pre-fight talk C - Dos Santos is known for being humble and apart from one or two select fights, has not trash talked. Penn was known for being a bit cocky and talking some trash

5. Heart C - Dos Santos, while he may fight like a defeated man after having Cain in his face round after round, has never tapped to strikes. I never understood the idea of saying a guy like BJ has "heart" when he has tapped to strikes, whined after every fight he lost, accusing the guy of cheating/being cheap, and has an excuse for everything

Ill include a couple more things. As much as I like Dos Santos better, by far, than BJ Penn, Penn was far more gifted and even when barely (compared to some other fighters) training was able to dominate a division. Dos Santos has never/will never do that because he is not as naturally gifted/well rounded. Penn's primary weapon (his boxing) happens to be Dos Santos' only weapon, but that is not enough to draw a similarity. Penn was pretty well rounded and Dos Santos is not at all.

Back