Shrinking gloves?

Cows

White Belt
Reaction score
I got my leather MMA gloves back in September last year. Since then, it's getting harder and harder to get my hand through the glove. Obviously my hand isn't any bigger. What is the cause and how to prevent it?

edit: It fits fine once it's on, but getting my hand through the wrist support is the tricky part.

Never heard of that. If anything i thought it would strech with time. are you leavinthem exposed to dry heat?

Never heard of that. If anything i thought it would strech with time. are you leavinthem exposed to dry heat?

Room temperature. Never happened to any other part of my gear.

Where do you live? In a very cold region? Cold weather might be the reason.
If you think that's the reason then don't worry your gloves will come back to normal in summer. :)

I got my leather MMA gloves back in September last year. Since then, it's getting harder and harder to get my hand through the glove. Obviously my hand isn't any bigger. What is the cause and how to prevent it?

edit: It fits fine once it's on, but getting my hand through the wrist support is the tricky part.

This very common in motorcycle circles and is exploited by cobblers. If you immerse your leather in water until it becomes completely saturation, then dry it with external heat source, the leather will shrink.

My friend had this happen to his leather jacket (biking in the rain) and my ex-girlfriends mother would do it with her dress shoes.

I don't live in a cage so my gloves are not a subject to outside weather :)

The gloves are from budget company "Team X" and look like this.
9932be5c72b1bae715fd346a96a4a53d.jpg

Is there a way to reverse the process of shrinking?

I don't live in a cage so my gloves are not a subject to outside weather :)

The gloves are from budget company "Team X" and look like this.
9932be5c72b1bae715fd346a96a4a53d.jpg

Is there a way to reverse the process of shrinking?

If the gloves are cheap then they are not properly sealed, so even sweat could cause them to become saturated and shrink upon heating, even direct sunlight (i.e., drum drying).

Just pretend you are gauging your ears: if the finger holes are tight, start stretching them out with dowels of increasing size, likewise if the wrist portion is tight you can stretch that out with dowels or even your own wrist (with extra wraps).

Back