Should Tony stay in Southpaw vs Khabib?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
It seems Southpaws have had a lot more success vs Khabib than Orthodox fighters.
Now, by "success", I mean they were at least able to land a punch or 2 and make him look human for a couple seconds at least lol.

MJ was able to connect on Khabib with a decent punch from Southpaw as well as Dustin who actually stepped through and followed up with his right hand. Also, Conor in the 3rd was able to land a nice uppercut, straight and a couple of other decent punches from Southpaw.

Which brings me to my question, I'm wondering if Tony should stay in Southpaw vs Khabib because he actually switches stances a lot and shifts like Max.

Is this a good idea and do you think it improves your chances of catching Khabib on the feet????

Discuss?..

Hard to stay south paw when you’re getting dumped on your head and your guard passed

Khabib TKO round 1

Tony likes to switch back and forth from orthodox to southpaw so if I were his coach, I'd tell him to do exactly that.

Just be yourself and don't try to box yourself in and limit your own options.

Tony should just be Tony. Do what he's good at and mix it up

His style is the style to beat imo, not Khabib's

Hard to stay south paw when you’re getting dumped on your head and your guard passed

Khabib TKO round 1

I don't think you understood the question.
Let me elaborate:
While standing, should Tony stay in southpaw? Make sense?

Tony likes to switch back and forth from orthodox to southpaw so if I were his coach, I'd tell him to do exactly that.

Just be yourself and don't try to box yourself in and limit your own options.

For sure. I'm just curious if he leaves more openings/ is more susceptible to getting hit vs southpaws.

Now that I think about it, I don't think switching stances would be a good idea vs Khabib. Switching stances leaves you with square hips in between switches and if Khabib level changes during that, Tony's fucked. I honestly think he should stay in southpaw the entire time.

Khabib TKO round 1

Tony via salsa dancing round 1

wlUgchW

For sure. I'm just curious if he leaves more openings vs southpaws.
The lead hook from southpaw was the strike that hurt Khabib, so that'd be something that McGregor would take more from than Tony.

Adding a right hook to his arsenal (which he hasn't really shown in the past) will improve Conor's chances in a rematch.

Khabib has beaten the best southpaws in the division, tony going southpaw would mean absolutely nothing.

Tony's the type of guy to go northpaw because southpaw is too orthodox.

I don't think Khabib is particularly more vulnerable to southpaws than orthodox fighters. I think it's just a matter of the best strikers Khabib fought are southpaw. Barboza and Al are probably the best orthodox fighter's he's fought, and Barboza's striking is usually worse against pressure grapplers.

I think Tony has to do anything differently than he normally does to out strike Khabib. If Khabib doesn't keep Tony down he's getting pieced up.

He'll stay on his back and against the cage. He won't be able to have a stance.

He'll stay on his back and against the cage. He won't be able to have a stance.
Unlike some other videos of shirtless men you watch on the internet, this fight will start on the feet not with them laying on each other like you're used to.

Tony enjoys a nice reach advantage and is a little taller. Khabib has fought so many southpaws and prepared and sparred for them.
He should try both stances and see which works better.

Tony should stick to what he does best and mix it up. Tony switches stances a lot and even Khabib takes Tony mid switch Tonys will attack off his back to make things interesting. Most Khabibs opponents tend to use most of their energy to get back up which Khabib actually does most of his damage and success in those positions. Tony won't be trying to get back the entire fight he will attack from the back and go with where the fight goes. That'll be the differences.

Watch the first round of Khabib/Conor. Conor didn't really try too much to get up which Khabib was trying to get into position into attacking which throughout the round it did not happend because Conor stayed on the ground instead of trying to get up.

Tony should stick to what he does best and mix it up. Tony switches stances a lot and even Khabib takes Tony mid switch Tonys will attack off his back to make things interesting. Most Khabibs opponents tend to use most of their energy to get back up which Khabib actually does most of his damage and success in those positions. Tony won't be trying to get back the entire fight he will attack from the back and go with where the fight goes. That'll be the differences.

Watch the first round of Khabib/Conor. Conor didn't really try too much to get up which Khabib was trying to get into position into attacking which throughout the round it did not happend because Conor stayed on the ground instead of trying to get up.

Sure I get it.
But I wonder if Khabib will even give Tony a chance to fight off his back. He may just keep him pinned up on his side against the cage and wrist ride him and make him carry his weight. That's the thing, Khabib doesn't sit in guard too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back