Should They Reboot Brian De Palma's Scarface?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've been hearing about this one for awhile.

This take on the story would be a remake that would reportedly involve the story of a Mexican immigrant who rises to drug lord status in modern day Los Angeles.

Do you think this could be an interesting new take on Al Pacino's Tony Montana?

Or

Was the 1983 version too much of a classic, and should be the be all end all not needing a modern day re-telling?

Thoughts?

I think it doesn't need on simply for the fact that so many young people are totally on this movie's nuts as if it was released 5 years ago.

The reason a lot of stupid remakes work is because the young crowd didn't see the original, more well made movies

I think it doesn't need on simply for the fact that so many young people are totally on this movie's nuts as if it was released 5 years ago.

The reason a lot of stupid remakes work is because the young crowd didn't see the original, more well made movies

It's stood the test of time. I don't think you should remake Al Pacino movies.

What if someone said we should remake the Godfather?? It's a classic.

The angle could be interesting. One thing the original did really well was play on the political climate at the time. They're considering doing the same thing with the remake for immigrants in LA. Some are even concerned of backlash it could potentially face.

If they did go through with it that could be a hell of a film for the times if they pull it off.

Which "great" movies have had a reboot by a renowned director? I can think of "Psycho" by Gus Van Sant.

Absolutely not, what a terrible idea.

Why remake something? Just write a new story. Scarface wasn't the first movie about drug kingpins, so any "reboot" talk is just lazy cheesing off of established IP's to hook the LCD demo.

No
I got all excited on Halloween and DVRd two movies for the lady and I to watch.

Poltergeist, and Friday the 13th

Got the popcorn ready and both were shitty remakes. I was pissed

If they somehow manage to put "the wall" talks in there for the opening scene, and all of the back and forth that has come out of that border situation is written into the story...…

I think this could be the most controversial movie of our generation.

One director was reportedly "lost" from the project already because the studio declared that his take on the script was too dark.

But they cant use Cubans as it wont have any relevance. Who are they going to use? In fact, I think the Cuban crime wave was over hyped. It mostly Colombians, and other various Hispanic groups in Miami back then.

Sure, I'm always up for a good rags to riches drug lord story.

Only if starring Nicolas Cage.

Scarface is overrated and Al Pacino looked comical in it. I think Cage would at least make the character fun with his over the top acting style.

Reboots are just money grabs riding on the success of classic titles.

For hollywood it's great, for the consumers it's a big fuck you.

I've been hearing about this one for awhile.

This take on the story would be a remake that would reportedly involve the story of a Mexican immigrant who rises to drug lord status in modern day Los Angeles.

Do you think this could be an interesting new take on Al Pacino's Tony Montana?

Or

Was the 1983 version too much of a classic, and should be the be all end all not needing a modern day re-telling?

Thoughts?

Brian De Palma’s Scarface is a remake itself. The original movie was released in 1932.

Arguably, Belly was an urban remake of Brian De Palma’s Scarface. At the very least it stole entire scenes, at the most it was an artists interpretation.

All of that being said, 1983 Scarface, in my opinion, isn’t a great film. It definitely has a cult following but I don’t find it to be a great movie. Al Pacinos acting was pretty solid and I do like the movie, but I don’t think it’s on the same level as The Godfather. Not even The Godfather 3.

Since Scarface itself was a remake of a 1930s movie, I am not opposed to the idea personally. It is one of the best movies ever made so obviously I would not have high expectations of a new remake but a modernized version of it could be fun to watch at least.

Stop ruining great movies with shitty reboots/remakes. Here's a wild idea for the Hollywood hack writers, try having an original idea for once in your useless lives.

yep. I like it when he goes, "You talkin' to me?"

It will now be about a black tranny and receive a 100% score on rotten tomatoes...

Back