Should Stipe put back on 15lbs or cut to LHW?

Best for his health: HW at 240 or so

Best chance to win a title (w current champs)
: LHW
I don't know about HW being best for his health. I don't think the cut would negatively impact his chin and he won't be taking any Ngannou/Lewis type punches at LHW.

He would need to diet and do a water cut like almost every non HW though as he probably shouldn't cut much more than 15lbs in water. I think dieting to lose 10-13lbs over a few weeks at the end of camp and a 12-15lb water cut over the last 2-3 days would be the way to go without negatively impacting his performance.

TS is making every second post in the thread to refute what everybody else agrees on. And using mmath for weight cutting is even more silly than mmath in general.

It’s a horrible idea. I’ll leave the last word from the man himself..

giphy.gif

That picture is from when Stipe was in the mid 240s. He isn't anymore he is around 230 now. Ortiz and Griffin cut to 205 from 230ish.
That does change anything about his frame. Just look at the size of his legs. The man has a giant frame. We're not talking about Fedor and his baby fat.

In general, I hate people cutting extra weight to go down a weight class as more often than not, it doesn't make much of a difference to their success. Typically, all it does is gives the perception to fans that they are worth watching because they are at a new weight class. I thought it was ridiculous that the large tall muscular Barboza went down to 145. Barboza is top 10 at FW or LW, but he's not likely to be champ at either. Rumble at 170 was just criminal and of course, we know he had more success at higher weights. Almost none of the champs were fighters who cut down to a lower weight class while in the UFC.

That said, Stipe and many heavyweight around 230-235 are the few I think can test the waters at 205. They just need to lose 5-7 pounds of fat/muscle by dieting. That leaves about 20 pounds of water they need to cut, which is totally doable, regardless of frame.

Stipe can drop 5-7 pounds of fat/muscle and cut 18 pounds of water to try 205. A big part of the reason in my view is so he doesn't have to face Ngannou. Dude, anything to not get punched by that guy is better for your health and title hopes.
1309295836.jpg

That does change anything about his frame. Just look at the size of his legs. The man has a giant frame. We're not talking about Fedor and his baby fat.
Losing weight is easier when you have less body fat, muscle holds more water weight and I have given examples of fighters cutting more than 10.8% body fat that make weight no problem all the time in the OP so I see no reason why a man who is 230 without even trying to lose weight couldnt lose 10-13lbs via dieting and the other half in a water cut over 2-3 days.

TS is making every second post in the thread to refute what everybody else agrees on. And using mmath for weight cutting is even more silly than mmath in general.

It’s a horrible idea. I’ll leave the last word from the man himself..

giphy.gif
Mma math weight cutting. What doest that even mean? Most fighters cut around 10% body weight or more with some even over 15%. I don't see why Stipe couldn't cut 10.8% of his body weight through a diet and water cut when most fighters can.

He should retire because cutting or adding weight won’t turn back the clock.

I don't know about HW being best for his health. I don't think the cut would negatively impact his chin and he won't be taking any Ngannou/Lewis type punches at LHW.

He would need to diet and do a water cut like almost every non HW though as he probably shouldn't cut much more than 15lbs in water. I think dieting to lose 10-13lbs over a few weeks at the end of camp and a 12-15lb water cut over the last 2-3 days would be the way to go without negatively impacting his performance.

Gotta disagree with a few things here:

1) Dehydration definitely has an adverse affect on ability to withstand trauma. Even moreso when it is something the fighter isn't accustomed to and add to that that this would be to a weight he likely hasn't weighed in 20 years or more.

2) "Won't be taking big punches." Jiri and Jan say otherwise.

Stipe's biggest edge at HW is speed, he will be sacrificing that to a certain extent at LHW.
IMO he is better off not getting hit by big slow heavyweights than getting clipped by LHWs more often.

Fighters tend to go up in weight late in their career to combat the speed advantage.

Gotta disagree with a few things here:

1) Dehydration definitely has an adverse affect on ability to withstand trauma. Even moreso when it is something the fighter isn't accustomed to and add to that that this would be to a weight he likely hasn't weighed in 20 years or more.

2) "Won't be taking big punches." Jiri and Jan say otherwise.

Stipe's biggest edge at HW is speed, he will be sacrificing that to a certain extent at LHW.
IMO he is better off not getting hit by big slow heavyweights than getting clipped by LHWs more often.

Fighters tend to go up in weight late in their career to combat the speed advantage.
1. I agree dehydration can impact someone's chin I just don't think a 10.8% body weight cut between a diet and water cut would do much to Stipe's chin when it doesn't to most fighters that cut that much or more in body weight percent.

2. That is a misquote. I didn't say Stipe won't take big punches at LHW, I said he won't take Ngannou/Lewis type punches at LHW, big difference.

Stipe would give up some speed but he would be able to out grapple people easier as well. I know that typically older fighters go up in weight but that isn't the case with Stipe he's naturally lost about 15lbs as he's gotten older and focused on cardio/speed/agility.

Look at him when he slims down at heavyweight. He’s pencil thin. He could NEVER cut another 30 lbs to begin with, much less compete at a high level.

I think it’s crazy how people are suggesting the UFC HW GOAT change his entire career trajectory because he lost a fight

This. Did people not see how enervated Stipe looked after trimming down his size to get more speed? Worst he's ever looked imo.

Not a snowball's chance in hell he makes 205
The following fighters cut about 25lbs between dieting and water cut, which Stipe didn't do to get to 230.

Tyron Woodley(WW) Corey Anderson(LHW), Forrest Griffin(LHW) Paulo Costa(MW), Marvin Vettori(MW), Thiago Santos(MW), Jake Shields(WW) Damien Maia(WW), GSP(WW), Michael Chiesa(WW), DC(LHW), Drew Dober(LW), Tibau(LW) Mike Chandler(LW), Paul Felder(LW), Davi Ramos(LW), Max Holloway(FW).

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

If Holloway can cut 30lbs+ I don't see why a 230lb man can't cut 25lbs. Holloway weighs 178 in the cage so is likely 180 before he starts his diet and water cut. That is a 35lb weight cut which is a 19.44% body weight cut which is close to double the body weight percent that Stipe would cut to make 205 from 230.

Last edited:
The following fighters cut about 25lbs between dieting and water cut, which Stipe didn't do to get to 230.

Tyron Woodley(WW) Corey Anderson(LHW), Forrest Griffin(LHW) Paulo Costa(MW), Marvin Vettori(MW), Thiago Santos(MW), Jake Shields(WW) Damien Maia(WW), GSP(WW), Michael Chiesa(WW), DC(LHW), Drew Dober(LW), Tibau(LW) Mike Chandler(LW), Paul Felder(LW), Davi Ramos(LW), Max Holloway(FW).

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

If Holloway can cut 30lbs+ I don't see why a 230lb man can't cut 25lbs. Holloway weighs 178 in the cage so is likely 180 before he starts his diet and water cut. That is a 35lb weight cut which is a 19.44% body weight cut which is close to double the body weight percent that Stipe would cut to make 205 from 230.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/4/...s-ngannou-heavyweight-fight-rematch-ko-weight

He's already started bulking up in case he gets a rematch with Francis. I highly doubt he still weighs 230 at this point.

he got KO'ed by LHW daniel cormier

i don't think his problems are due to the weightclass

Read my post from this page. Listed a bunch of smaller guys that cut around 25lbs even after the iv ban.
I think you're a little misinformed.

Take GSP. His walk around weight was in between 190-200 pounds.

After a fight camp he'd weight about 178-180.

He'd only cut about 8-10 pounds of weight

Same with Woodley. Walked around at 200 but after a fight camp would be able 180 and only "cut" 10 pounds.

Same with DC and Jon. Both would start their true cuts from about 225 and 220 after entering their camps a about 240 and 235.

Stipe is not overly muscular. Him AFTER a fight camp is 233 or 236. That would mean his cut would be about 30 pounds. Lose 30 pounds in a week? It's possible but stupid. He wouldn't recover enough to properly fight.

People ask why gas doesn't fight at 170. The truth is, and he's said this, he feels extremely shitty after dropping to 170. He's not able to perform at the best of his abilities because of the cut and it takes days, multiple days, to feel good again for him. Not great when you're fighting and 36 hours after being extremely dehydrated.

Stupe

I think you're a little misinformed.

Take GSP. His walk around weight was in between 190-200 pounds.

After a fight camp he'd weight about 178-180.

He'd only cut about 8-10 pounds of weight

Same with Woodley. Walked around at 200 but after a fight camp would be able 180 and only "cut" 10 pounds.

Same with DC and Jon. Both would start their true cuts from about 225 and 220 after entering their camps a about 240 and 235.

Stipe is not overly muscular. Him AFTER a fight camp is 233 or 236. That would mean his cut would be about 30 pounds. Lose 30 pounds in a week? It's possible but stupid. He wouldn't recover enough to properly fight.

People ask why gas doesn't fight at 170. The truth is, and he's said this, he feels extremely shitty after dropping to 170. He's not able to perform at the best of his abilities because of the cut and it takes days, multiple days, to feel good again for him. Not great when you're fighting and 36 hours after being extremely dehydrated.

Stupe

Fight camp includes dieting, which Stipe doesn't do since he's a HW that is well under the 265 limit. GSP weighed around 188 in the cage for most of his career, Woodley weighed 190. Neither of these guys would have gained all the weight back from weeks of dieting plus the water cut, so their real in shape weight minus dieting and a water cut(things that Stipe doesn't do) is going to be a couple of pounds more than their in cage weight. I'm not misinformed you just forgot that those guys diet to lose weight as well as a water cut and Stipe doesn't do either of those things.

I don't know why you completely forgot that fighters that don't fight at HW or have to cut weight diet to lose weight an Stipe doesn't. That's a big factor to completely forget about. It wouldn't be a 25lb water cut it would be like half that after dieting.

This. Did people not see how enervated Stipe looked after trimming down his size to get more speed? Worst he's ever looked imo.
Thank you for introducing me to the word enervated.

Yeah he said it just kinda came off during camp and now he is wanting/having to go back up. Just intense stuff.

Back