• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Joe Schilling be charged for assault?

Should Joe Schilling be charged for assault?

• Total voters
out of curiosity, what events do you think would have to lead up to it prior to what we saw to remotely justify setting up recording you running into a guy in a otherwise completely empty bar / restaurant to provoke a fight?
Once again I’m not justifying what Schilling did. Perhaps an altercation with him minutes before,maybe he was talking shit to him before that and he said enough is enough there’s a reason that camera was pointing right at that guy and that was probably because of an earlier altercation of some sort

Nothing before matters in assessing whether it was self defense or not.
Yeah true not defending him just saying I believe there’s more to the story if you don’t get the full context from a five second video of a guy getting punched out

Once again I’m not justifying what Schilling did. Perhaps an altercation with him minutes before,maybe he was talking shit to him before that and he said enough is enough there’s a reason that camera was pointing right at that guy and that was probably because of an earlier altercation of some sort
fair enough, but none of that would justify assault or " self defense" in a court

For a normal guy, yes.

For a PRO FIGHTER, NO.

A pro kickboxer and MMA fighter, with a huge size advantage, doesn't need to take the initiative in this situation, it's not like Joe Shilling was truly scared about what could happen. He's not walking down an alley at 3am in a bad part of town. Joe just wanted to knock someone out.

For a normal guy yes?? Hell no! If you just pushed him aside like he’s just a kid in your way then you can’t blast him because he got in your face. If for no reasons he gets in your face and you think he’s going to punch you then yes.

For a normal guy yes?? Hell no! If you just pushed him aside like he’s just a kid in your way then you can’t blast him because he got in your face. If for no reasons he gets in your face and you think he’s going to punch you then yes.

But Joe is a pro fighter, the risk of getting hurt in hand to hand combat is slim to none, he shouldn’t have clocked the guy.

A normal guy, who isn’t trained, when confronted by a guy who fakes a punch or lunge, then yes, I can see throwing first to end it.

Yes of course, and he will be

Assault is assault the guy is a drunk douchebag but doesn't give you the right to knock him out cold, Joe is a professional trained fighter should have some discipline, you can't just go and KO people that annoys you. No judge is going to believe Joe was feared for his life and had to defend him self.

By the book it’s simple assault. So yes. Although I don’t know that we need to prosecute most bar brawls.

It will be interesting to see what happens, let's keep these threads going

The guy called Schilling back as he was walking away from the situation and then he sure made it look like he was trying to throw first.

Not saying what Schilling did was warranted, and an assault charge is likely justified, but if you're going to act like a badass and threaten people then you'd better be prepared for the consequences. Fortunately for both of them Schilling didn't follow up and try to cause further injury. Hopefully they both learn their lesson.

Back