• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Should It Be Illegal to Evict People

No, it shouldn't be illegal to evict people. Honestly, you'd be better off eliminating rental properties entirely than preventing evictions. Eliminating rentals would reduce the ability of people to hoard livable space for personal profit. That might help reduce housing prices and make it more affordable for people.

I can't imagine the catastrophe this would have on the quality of life of everyone and the ruination of the economy.

Imagine how many people work on contracts and rent short or mid-term to complete their work. Imagine just wanting to go to the beach for a week and renting a house for your holiday. Imagine any holiday anywhere? What happens if you can't afford the deposit for a home but you do have the cash flow for rent? Are you homeless now with this brain dead idea? What if you are a student and need to share accommodation with others to pay the rent? What is the economy going to look like when mobility utterly crashes and people cannot afford to buy near their work, their study, or their community in general?

It's utterly insane that this is being suggested. Sherdog is looking stupider by the moment.

Over 50k for my shed to be built with basically pre fab structure. Wiring. Plumbing. Foundation etc all cost far more than the actual shed

He was arguing we need to get rid of regulations.

There are more than enough idiots trying to half ass electrical work even with the regs in place. I've never seen a homeowner pull out an uglys book.

We do. Almoat every aspect of modern life is over-regulated by the government.

I feel sorry for the people forced to buy rental properties and become landlords. It's just not fair. There should be a law against imposing that kind of burden on American citizens.

Landlords should be allowed to earn their income via the power of their actual labor. Not be compelled to enrich themselves by exploiting those who do not possess the wealth to place a sufficient down payment on their own homes.

Instead of your "clever" and factitious comments, why don't you provide something of an actual argument?

Are you suggesting that people have a right to housing? Are you saying that people are entitled to roof over their head?
Are you suggesting that people are exploited when they agree to pay rent?

Furthermore, where do you draw the line? If I order food at a restaurant, and once the bill comes, I realize it's more than I can afford, should my meal be free? What about a taxi ride? Do I really have to pay immediately after my ride? Can I not pay a week or 2 later?

Eventually an adult needs to be held responsible.

I can't imagine the catastrophe this would have on the quality of life of everyone and the ruination of the economy.

Imagine how many people work on contracts and rent short or mid-term to complete their work. Imagine just wanting to go to the beach for a week and renting a house for your holiday. Imagine any holiday anywhere? What happens if you can't afford the deposit for a home but you do have the cash flow for rent? Are you homeless now with this brain dead idea? What if you are a student and need to share accommodation with others to pay the rent? What is the economy going to look like when mobility utterly crashes and people cannot afford to buy near their work, their study, or their community in general?

It's utterly insane that this is being suggested. Sherdog is looking stupider by the moment.
Not just that but how would something like this get put into action? You'd have run down homes everywhere cause not everybody wants to buy a home. Plus anyone with a 640 credit score and 3% down payment can qualify for an FHA loan. I feel like people that make these arguments are disgruntled with their circumstances and what's scary is that these ideas can easily gain traction in today's environment.

Even aside from the issue this thread is about, I think anyone who has worked in residential construction or renos realizes how much capital is invested in rental properties by landlords, and how many residences are created by people wanting to create rental properties. Landlords are a problem, but if the answer is just "No more landlords" then you are turning off a potent spigot that produces new properties and invests to upkeep/update old ones. A lot of this talk is that same well meaning, but poorly thought out crap that dominates our political discussion today.

Well here in Canada, you can't build an off the grid dwelling. You have to be tied into the electric grid.

That's a regulation I'd get rid of for sure.

If it puts you out of work, all the better. You seem like a bit of a cunt tbh.

You're looking at 10 grand in concrete alone. You mentioned Canada, so you'll absolutely need a basement, unless you want your pipes to freeze. Also, $10,000 is almost 13000 CAD. That's just the cost of the concrete, you'll still need to reinforce it.

Please share the design of your 20,000 CAD house. I'm very interested.

You're looking at 10 grand in concrete alone. You mentioned Canada, so you'll absolutely need a basement, unless you want your pipes to freeze. Also, $10,000 is almost 13000 CAD. That's just the cost of the concrete, you'll still need to reinforce it.

Rigid foam insulation is being used pretty widely in Canada now to protect slab foundations.

Rigid foam insulation is being used pretty widely in Canada now to protect slab foundations.

What does your comment have to do with my comment? Also, what does your video have to do with my comment?

I agree that many insulate their foundation- yet you still need to pour a foundation. Insulating the foundation can be especially great in certain in-floor heating systems. The systems I'm familiar with are over 30,000 CAD- so again- an entire house for $20,000??? How?

Your video is of a wooden camper which won't do very well in sub freezing temperatures. What about sewage? You're providing more of a hipster's weekend retreat rather than a real solution to the lack of permanent housing.

Is your solution exclusively for people below the 30th parallel?

What does your comment have to do with my comment? Also, what does your video have to do with my comment?

I agree that many insulate their foundation- yet you still need to pour a foundation. Insulating the foundation can be especially great in certain in-floor heating systems. The systems I'm familiar with are over 30,000 CAD- so again- an entire house for $20,000??? How?

Your video is of a wooden camper which won't do very well in sub freezing temperatures. What about sewage? You're providing more of a hipster's weekend retreat rather than a real solution to the lack of permanent housing.

Is your solution exclusively for people below the 30th parallel?

Huh? Rigid foam is being used to protect slabs rather than using a basement foundation. It's a direct response to what you said.

$30k for a foundation is including all sorts of paid labour.

You guys all want to pretend I'm saying $20K to have a bunch of trades people build you a McMansion with a bunch of government red tape.

I'm not. And it'a tiresome arguing with you people. You don't want to hear what I have to say, you just want someone to take out your frustrations on.

It's boring. You're boring.

Last edited:
The alternative is to pop the housing bubble.

You can build a simple single family dwelling for under $20K. Relax regulations and let people do that.

This. I believe they will need to start building miniature houses for the homeless and people who can't afford the standard home or apartment.

Huh? Rigid foam is being used to protect slabs rather than using a basement foundation. It's a direct response to what you said.

$30k for a foundation is including all sorts of paid labour.

You guys all want to pretend I'm saying $20K to have a bunch of tradespeople build you a McMenamins with a bunch of government red tape.

I'm not. And it'a tiresome arguing with you people. You don't want to hear what I have to say, you just want someone to take out your frustrations on.

It's boring. You're boring.

I'm literally responding to hear what you have to say, no need to tell me I don't want to hear it.

You just don't know what you're talking about. A cubic metre of concrete (30 MPa strength) is probably going to be around 140 CAD. You still need to form it and reinforce it. I'm not taking about any "trades people".

How big is your slab and how deep are you putting it? There aren't many places in Canada that you can build a slab at surface level. Everything will freeze. Even a simple slab will cost you 10 grand CAD by the time you're done- materials only.

Have you ever priced lumber? You'll still need a property to put it on, plumbing, and heating. You can live without electricity, but you'll need heat in the winter. You can spend a few thousand on insulation alone if you want. You could install a cheap wood burner if you want, but you'll still need to vent it, insulated pipe through the roof so it won't burn down, flashing so it doesn't leak, you'll be close to a grand likely- plus you're wood and a place to store/shelter it. Ever priced windows? FYI, they aren't cheap. You'll definitely want insulated ones in Canada. I don't know what you're doing for water- you could buy cheap property and dig a well (that could be 20k) or just buy property beside a river (it's always super cheap by water :rolleyes:). I'm not sure you've thought this through.

I'll also mention that I've personally built dwellings in places where I didn't need to comply with building codes, in places where it doesn't freeze. You can talk about potentially doing it all you want, but I'm speaking from actual experience from doing it. There are tremendous savings to be had, under the right circumstances- but you're in Canada and you're options are very limited. FYI, it's currently -27 C in Yellowknife- and it isn't even winter yet. Should everyone just move to Victoria?

I'm still waiting on those floor plans for a $20,000 house. Feel free to duck out of the conversation, you're obviously in over your head here.

How is this possible. I’ve heard a similar story from Australia. You leave for vacation and people can squat legally?
Haven't heard of that you got a source? Definitely instances of squatting over a piece of propety that hasn't been used/touched in years and years if the squatters gone and done upgrades etc to the site but I believe per the source/law that's allowed only after 12 years of occupancy-
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46039642

I'm not making any comment on what you could build for $20,000, but modular homes are a thing in Canada.

module-on-truck-inhabitat.jpg

They absolutely do not have a basement. The crawl space under the house, where the pipes are, are just insulated and I'm not actually sure whether they're heated or residual heat from the house keeps it warm enough. Likely the former. Ranchers are pretty common in Canada too.

I'm not making any comment on what you could build for $20,000, but modular homes are a thing in Canada.

module-on-truck-inhabitat.jpg

They absolutely do not have a basement. The crawl space under the house, where the pipes are, are just insulated and I'm not actually sure whether they're heated or residual heat from the house keeps it warm enough. Likely the former. Ranchers are pretty common in Canada too.

I've seen many of those placed on top of foundations. I've seen many places with crawl spaces too, but they aren't winterized, they're just summer cottages.

I've seen many of those placed on top of foundations. I've seen many places with crawl spaces too, but they aren't winterized, they're just summer cottages.

My parents lived in one for a number of years a ways back. It was supported on wooden blocks, had a crawl space that was insulated, and all of the piping in a crawl space. No foundation. Great for taxes. But yeah, no need for a basement in Canada. Insulated crawl space is common.

My parents lived in one for a number of years a ways back. It was supported on wooden blocks, had a crawl space that was insulated, and all of the piping in a crawl space. No foundation. Great for taxes. But yeah, no need for a basement in Canada. Insulated crawl space is common.

Insulated crawl spaces exist, but I wouldn't say they're very common. Of the few hundred year round houses I'm familiar with in Canada, I think I remember one with a crawl space (and even it was a converted summer cottage). It belonged to a friend of mine who periodically had problems with pipes freezing. This was in southern Ontario. Where were your parents? Was there a high water table there? What was the heating system? On oil or gas you're fine to set the thermostat low and go away for a week, but if you're burning wood, with no basement, your pipes will definitely freeze if there's no fire going for a while. Hell, they'd freeze even with a basement.

Back