Should I go to the Free Tae Kwan Do Club?

IMO, Yudo good, very good, Hapkido....not so good.

Ho Sin Shul is basically Yudo (Judo) techniques added to TSD or other TMA. If they are being taught by a Yudo BB and you are doing randori it is probably good. If it is done kata style, probably not so great.

Ho Shin Sul is a mandatory part of TKD curriculum and covers "self defense" (which is what it means translated), it incorporates freeing yourself from locks and ground controls, fending off dangerous attacks with or without weapons etc. etc. It may look like krav maga, hapkido, bas rutten tape or 1970s kungfu movie though depending from the school, traditionally it is closer to Hapkido in it's appearance, a lot of wristlocks etc.

And of course you should check it out.

Korean TKD > american TKD. yes do it

The whole thing about TKD means no guard etc is bs, its upto you if you want to keep your hands up when sparring... Ok TKD doesn't teach it, fair enough, but if you know to keep your hands up (from boxing/mt/street) then whats the problem?

The things you WILL get from a good school: great flexibility, great balance, more kick variety/accuracy and much more.

Yeah, the guard thing was what I was thinking about originally. I was also concerned when I looked at Olympic sparring for Tae Kwon Do on Youtube, which was absolutely ridiculous. However, if I can improve my flexibility and accuracy with my kicks, that will be a great benefit. It might be good to have a bit of a "TKD Style" in my Muay Thai since opponents won't expect it.

Back