• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should I even bother?

kidshinky

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to Matt Serras bjj gym in east meadow long island tomorrow night for an intro class. I would like to start training but there's only one problem. I'm 17 and am taking drivers ed and don't have my license. Is it worth signing up (I'm not sure how much money it's going to be but I'll probably pay for it) if I only get about 4 hours of classes a week? It would be Bjj Tuesday 7:30-8:30 pm, Friday 7:30-8:30 pm, and Saturday 11-12 am. And wrestling 7:00-8:30 pm on Thursdays. I would go to other night classes but my mom has to drive me and can't take me at that time :redface:.

Am I getting enough training to become decent in bjj (after time and hardwork of course)? I don't want to pay alot if i'm not going to get alot out of it you know.

You get what you put into it and everyone learns at different speeds. As a novice, don't put a lot of pressure on yourself to be good. Be patient, practice, listen and learn from those around you. BJJ is not something you learn over night. It will take years to get really good at it.
It will become part of your lifestyle. Enjoy it. :)

ps - I wish I started when I was 17. lol

I think a minimun of 2 BJJ classes per week is good enough to keep your level.
To improve you will need more that 2 BJJ classes per week.

it's not just 4 hours,.. 4 hours is probably the warmup and then the instruction. i'm sure there will be plenty of time for free time afterwards.

Unless you've been wrestling for a while, that may be all you have enegry for during the first few months.
When i started i thought i would go morning and night 3-4 days a week. So something like 9-14 hours a week. That lasted about 3 weeks before i was burnt out.
Just take it easy, the first three months you're gonna get schooled but hang in there.

And thank mom, a lot.

They have different training plans. You can train there for 3 classes a week for one price, for example, and there are other prices for other packages. Have whoever is running your intro classes address your specific issues. They are a contract school with a billing company, as are most (if not all) local gyms, and their prices are basically the norm for the area.

Or you could take a bus. Start off slow, until you get your license and car, and then start training a lot if you want.

You get what you put into it and everyone learns at different speeds. As a novice, don't put a lot of pressure on yourself to be good. Be patient, practice, listen and learn from those around you. BJJ is not something you learn over night. It will take years to get really good at it.
It will become part of your lifestyle. Enjoy it. :)

ps - I wish I started when I was 17. lol

Agreed on all accounts. Go for it, you may not like it dude but it may be your future. If you ar concerned about the cost benefit ratio, first I would say don't stress that its insignifigant, 2nd ask question and don't sign up for anything that is long term and if you have to see if there is any sort of refund clause. I know where I train we pay for a 2 month session at a time. Also be aware of startup costs. You will need a gi and that can cost as much as you want to spend. You don't have to buy it from the dojo unless they can get you a good deal. You can get an excellent quality kimono for 70 or 80$ online just check ebay, or google "discount martial arts", budovideo.com has gis and everyone where I roll wears gameness and the single weave holds up well, I have afuji budget and it wears well and cost 72$ including shipping. Always question your motive, learn from experience, and have fun.

4 hours a week is plenty for recreational BJJ. Heck, you'll improve with 1 hour a week given enough time.

i used to train at east meadow. its prob like 9 hours of training to be honest.

BLAH!! Neither Matt or Nick ever teach there, class is taught by a purple belt...its full of egos and if you ever go to a tourney none of the instructors go to support you... you MIGHT see 3 Serra guys at a tournament!

It says a lot about a school that most of the higher belts are waiting for their contracts to run out so they can leave.

Sorry but Im not going to blow smoke up your ass!

What town do u live in? If you are very close to East Meadow I would look at Soca's.

BLAH!! Neither Matt or Nick ever teach there, class is taught by a purple belt...its full of egos and if you ever go to a tourney none of the instructors go to support you... you MIGHT see 3 Serra guys at a tournament!

It says a lot about a school that most of the higher belts are waiting for their contracts to run out so they can leave.

Sorry but Im not going to blow smoke up your ass!

What town do u live in? If you are very close to East Meadow I would look at Soca's.

I don't train in the East Meadow location but I do train at the Huntington location and I'm going to have to disagree with you. Matt deals with the Huntington location and Nick usually deals with the East Meadow location. Everyone's always ranting about how Matt is never there.. when he has a fight coming up, yes, he's not there to teach as often since he's busy training but he does show his face a lot to make sure everything's running smoothly. But he does leave it to three other black belt instructors and two browns who are EXCELLENT. When there isn't a fight coming up, he teaches the advanced classes a lot more often. I've been there, its been more than a handful of times.

The training environment is anything but egos. In fact, the instructors there make sure of it. They're always there to deflate anyone's head. ALL my training partners have been more than friendly and many have no problem staying after with me to help me out with anything. The atmosphere is definitely positive and perfect to learn from.

I'm not familiar with the tournament scene but I know that a lot of the people DO train for tournaments or MMA events since they're always talking about it or trying to convince me to go.

Oh and also, I've been there for around 8-9 months. My experience with the school has been nothing but a positive one. There's nothing really negative that sticks out at me. The schedule is extraodinarily flexible, two locations, great instructors, and an incredibly positive atmosphere and training partners. Obviously I'm sorta biased though.

Yup! Four times a week is plenty for just starting out. That's the amount I roll and am progressing at a pretty good rate in my opinion.

But to get the most out of it, just make sure you do what you can to make each training session count.

I don't train in the East Meadow location but I do train at the Huntington location and I'm going to have to disagree with you. Matt deals with the Huntington location and Nick usually deals with the East Meadow location. Everyone's always ranting about how Matt is never there.. when he has a fight coming up, yes, he's not there to teach as often since he's busy training but he does show his face a lot to make sure everything's running smoothly. But he does leave it to three other black belt instructors and two browns who are EXCELLENT. When there isn't a fight coming up, he teaches the advanced classes a lot more often. I've been there, its been more than a handful of times.

The training environment is anything but egos. In fact, the instructors there make sure of it. They're always there to deflate anyone's head. ALL my training partners have been more than friendly and many have no problem staying after with me to help me out with anything. The atmosphere is definitely positive and perfect to learn from.

I'm not familiar with the tournament scene but I know that a lot of the people DO train for tournaments or MMA events since they're always talking about it or trying to convince me to go.

Oh and also, I've been there for around 8-9 months. My experience with the school has been nothing but a positive one. There's nothing really negative that sticks out at me. The schedule is extraodinarily flexible, two locations, great instructors, and an incredibly positive atmosphere and training partners. Obviously I'm sorta biased though.

Im glad your experience is different from what I have been hearing. I find its a shame that so many people I spoke to had negative things to say about it. Did Hofacker get his brown? Bc he teaches at East Meadow and last I heard he was a purple. I dont know what other black belts you are talking about that teach class (maybe Papa Serra?) In any case my freinds who train there tell me that Billy teaches 90% of the classes in EM. I also heard Matt tends to still to Beginner class (WHEN he does teach, not advanced....so its nice to hear the opposite)

Seriously Im happy that you have good things to say! Maybe ill see ya at a tournament.

Back