should I even bother continuing boxing with a crappy trainer?

FightingIyan

White Belt
Reaction score
A huge desire I've had for the past 2 years is to become a good amateur boxer and win some golden glove titles. I've had 4 fights and only won 1 of them. Thing is my coach has hardly ever worked with me. The only time really was just showing me the basic movements then reiterating things like "hit and move, hit and move" when I'm on the heavy bag.

What kept me going was my desire to become decent but now I just think there's no point without a good coach. It's the only one in my area and I just can't travel 30+ min a day to the other gyms. Thinking of just dropping it.

Thoughts?

No is the answer to the question in the heading.
Unlike tennis , a shitty coach in boxing just means u get your head beat in.

Competitively speaking , that is.

For fitness ....who cares ?

Train for the love of it. I train boxing 5 days a week, and never intend to have a fight. I just love the science of it all.

That you're not willing to travel to a decent gym, and the other options are quit or stay at a gym you've evaluated as poor, tells you how serious you are.

The thing left for you to decide is if you enjoy your time boxing. If you enjoy it do it. If you don't, leave.

have you ever tried to express your issue's with this trainer, is actually a bad trainer or is it more you being neglected

...just hit and move

How hard can that be?

That you're not willing to travel to a decent gym, and the other options are quit or stay at a gym you've evaluated as poor, tells you how serious you are.

The thing left for you to decide is if you enjoy your time boxing. If you enjoy it do it. If you don't, leave.

Kind of true, TS never really gave us a reason why he can't travel 30+ minutes a day. It might be a work thing which is understandable. For 3 years straight I drove an hour each way to get to my gym 4+ times a week. There were actually gyms within 10 minutes of me but I wanted to go to the best gym available. It was rough at times though and took its toll on my gas money.

perhaps you should approach your trainer, tell him your ambitions and how you feel he can contribute to it. If you like his response, then stay.

Depends on how serious you are. Some people on this forum go to thailand to improve their thai boxing... as a hobby. Maybe consider driving or stop competing (no need getting beat silly).

Similar to Eric, drive 35mins+ each way rather than 7mins to the nearest gym. If you want it you'll do it, simple as that.

Kind of true, TS never really gave us a reason why he can't travel 30+ minutes a day. It might be a work thing which is understandable. For 3 years straight I drove an hour each way to get to my gym 4+ times a week. There were actually gyms within 10 minutes of me but I wanted to go to the best gym available. It was rough at times though and took its toll on my gas money.

I drive 45 minutes to get to my gym. If you want to get better and you're not happy with the training you're receiving, then start saving gas money.

You can't give up 30 minutes but your dream is to win a couple of golden gloves titles? Gtfo. You trolling.

First, and most importantly, have you told the coach about your ambitions? "I'm here to get fit and maybe I'll take a fight later on just for the experience" is alot different to "I want to go to the Olympics".

Secondly, if this comforts you, even the best have losts. Floyd Mayweather, Kostya T and ODH all have amateur losts. Paddy from Ireland who is a two time olympic medalist lost his first six in a row. You will only end up with a losing record in life if you give up.

Finally, I agree with what everyone is saying. I live right next to the campus so, technically, the university's boxing gym is ten minutes walking distance from me. However, I choose to take an extra forty minutes (both ways) to go to one of my state's best gyms. Why? Because I want to go somewhere in boxing and, if you do too, then you should maybe think about cutting time (e.g. watch less tv) and opt for the better gym.

Back