Should I bother?

j-r00

White Belt
Reaction score
I've never trained in anything, but I want to start just to learn/have fun - I wouldn't plan to ever compete. I am interested in muay thai/bjj, and there is a place nearby that offers lessons in both. My only problem is that I wear glasses, and without them I can't see at all. My eyes are very sensitive so I've never gotten contacts, and I feel if I wanted to start training I would need to get contacts.

Will it be too hard to train having glasses, and if I can't wear contacts I guess there isn't much hope for me?

You can train without sparring without glasses. I assume you can still see pads/bags.

Other thing you can do is get lasik, fix those eyes permanent. I did, works terrific.

Apart from that, you may be able to wear glasses (sport glasses with plastic lenses obviously!) sparring if you get one of those full-helmet style headgear. I don't know if this is possible tho, never seen it.

Yeah i'm not blind without my glasses.. just cant see details or anything like that without them..

I remember asking about Lasik about a year ago, and my eye doctor said Lasik wouldn't fix my astigmatism so I would still need glasses for some things. Don't really know much about it, maybe he wasn't right.

Thanks for the tips tho, I will try without sparring for now and see how it goes from there.

j-r00 said:
Yeah i'm not blind without my glasses.. just cant see details or anything like that without them..

I remember asking about Lasik about a year ago, and my eye doctor said Lasik wouldn't fix my astigmatism so I would still need glasses for some things. Don't really know much about it, maybe he wasn't right.

Thanks for the tips tho, I will try without sparring for now and see how it goes from there.

Im calling the BULLSHIT flag on your eye doctor..I had a BAD astigmatism and it fixed me right up..gotta remember your eye doctor is making money from your insurance company and if you get Lasik ya wont need him anymore..

For grapling you are not that dependant of good vision, so you can always go for the bjj. When Yuki Nagai (sp?) got blinded on one eye in japan valetudo, he had to quit shooto and started doing bjj instead.

For striking lenses work good, suck it up and find a pair that works with your eyes, or try and do a sesion without them and see how you feel. Dont recomend striking or grapling with glasses in any form, trust me it will not work.

i wear glasses as well, i see terrible without them , but still good enough too see, try contacts, if they don't work u should still be fine

Depends how bad your eyes are. The biggest draw back will be from standing at the back of the class when your instructor is demo-ing something. Two solutions: 1) move closer or 2) Put galsses on to watch them take them off (put them somewhere 'safe') when you spar/roll/hit the pads

To see if will effect your sparring; stand a little more than arms distance from a mirror with out your glasses. Now bob around and shadow box a bit. Can you see the hands in the mirror. If so, don't worry. If all you see is a flesh colored bloob...you got bigger problems.

As stated above, grappling is not vision intensive.

I usually don't wear glasses when I'm doing bagwork. My eyesight is pretty crap without my glasses-- not the worst, but definately not good-- and seeing as how I believe in training how I fight, I practice striking without them as I consider it a forgone conclusion that in a sudden, heated melee my glasses are gonna get knocked off (a mugger might start right in by batting them off so I can't identify him to the cops).

When I sparred, I never wore them either for the obvious reason that they'd likely get busted. Glasses ain't cheap. And I could get injured badly if they shattered on my face.

As for BJJ, I can't even imagine you'd need glasses for grappling; you're rolling around on the floor holding the guy, for cryin' out loud. You'd have to be wearing some serious Coke-bottle peepers to not be able to make out details on a guy close enough to tell what he had for lunch by his breath.

If it's too much of a problem, go to the optometrist and get you some good old-fashioned Kareem Abdul Jabbar-style impact-resistant prescription sport glasses.

Zankou said:
Other thing you can do is get lasik, fix those eyes permanent. I did, works terrific.

just curious cause i'm thinking about getting laser surgery.
how is your night vision after laser surgery?

ziggs said:
Zankou said:

just curious cause i'm thinking about getting laser surgery.
how is your night vision after laser surgery?

Awesome. My eyes are both 20/15 now, better than 20/20. I see much better now than before when I had glasses.

Night vision is perfectly fine now. But it took a couple months before the "halo" effect from lights during nighttime went away. It's actually kind of nice, but it is a little weird.

My eyes healed super fast. I was walking around fine by afternoon. The next morning I walked in, they told me my eyes looked like they had healed for a week. I had no issues, and I LOVE it. I couldn't wear contacts because my eyes are too sensitive, so it was a total no-brainer for me.

.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna call bull-shit on your doc too. I had a big astigmatism, and had worn glasses since I was 5 years old and Lasik corrected it. I had it done about 2 years ago and I just had my eyes checked and their 20/30 which I can certainly live with. The surgery was quick, easy, painless, and the healing process was also relatively quick, easy, and painless.

Best money I've ever spent!

All you Lasik guys are gonna go blind in 10 years :p

desertbake said:

I'm gonna call bull-shit on your doc too. I had a big astigmatism, and had worn glasses since I was 5 years old and Lasik corrected it. I had it done about 2 years ago and I just had my eyes checked and their 20/30 which I can certainly live with. The surgery was quick, easy, painless, and the healing process was also relatively quick, easy, and painless.

Best money I've ever spent![/QUOTE]

Thanks for reposting exactly what I put earlier noob...JK Bro..haha

Back