• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Shogun vs Rampage full fight

Overeem didn’t have range control or touch of death like Poatan either though
I'm of the opinion that Poatan is better at 205 than Overeem was, but I'd argue Overeem's knees are just about as nasty as anything Alek can throw. I say this a bit tongue in cheek too, but Alistair Overeem was maybe the best 205 pounder in the world 2005ish... for the first 4 minutes of any fight.

So what do you think happened to Rampage in this fight? Just completely shut down after Shogun grabbed the Thai clinch. Do you think he was having flashbacks to Wanderlei? Or do you think he got hurt early to the body or something. It seems like 1 minute into the fight he was already mentally broken.

From memory Shogun broke his rib in the clinch early.

Shogun was pretty small compared to Poatan and didn't really pose much of a submission threat. He's not slapping the clinch on a 6'4 Poatan like he did Rampage either. Pereira is hittable, his chin isn't granite and Shogun could for sure make it interesting but I can't really see this as more than a 50/50 type bout.
Wouldn't be close to 50/50. Prime Shogun had great takedowns and had some of the best GnP ever at 205. He would have taken Alex down and beat the crap out of him on the ground.

You know you're dealing with overly euphoric UFC fanboys when you gotta explain it to them like this.

I don't think it's so much that as a lot of newer fans just talk shit about fighters that were passed their primes before they started watching and don't know what they were actually good at. Shogun in his prime was primarily a striker but frequently went for takedowns to land very hard strikes on the ground and had great takedowns and grappling on the ground, his TDD wasn't good though. Shogun had a similar skillset to Carlos Condit since both had very good striking, takedowns, ground game and strong GnP(Shogun's was better though but Condit had better submissions, Shogun used his submissions mostly to reverse or get back to his feet) but poor TDD.

I'm of the opinion that Poatan is better at 205 than Overeem was, but I'd argue Overeem's knees are just about as nasty as anything Alek can throw. I say this a bit tongue in cheek too, but Alistair Overeem was maybe the best 205 pounder in the world 2005ish... for the first 4 minutes of any fight.
Yeah overeem had the best knees. I’d rather have a left hook, great range, and a calf kick. Also heart lol.

Alex chin probably a lot worse than overeems yet he toughed out the tough situations

My fav Shogun fight. Shogun just beat the piss out of him for 5 minutes. Broke his ribs too. Rampage had a real hard time with Chute Boxe aggression back them.

2005 Shogun would likely get touched up on his feet but then take Poatan down and ground and pound him to a finish. That's how he dealt with Overeem twice.

that's also how he got Cyrille Diabate out of there too. Cyrille was giving him trouble on the feet, but once he took him down the absolute savagery of Shogun could not be denied.

Yeah overeem had the best knees. I’d rather have a left hook, great range, and a calf kick. Also heart lol.

Alex chin probably a lot worse than overeems yet he toughed out the tough situations
I never understood why people questioned Overeem's heart, he just looks like he has a nervous system issue where he gets sort of frozen by big shots but isn't fully unconscious and just literally can't defend himself cause his body isn't functioning correctly, Mir seems to have the same thing. You can't will your body to move correctly, it always looked like it just takes longer for them to recover from being rocked than most people, they are trying it's just not something you can make happen via willpower.

Last edited:
I never understood why people questioned Overeem's heart, he just looks like he has a nervous system issue where he gets sort of frozen by big shots but isn't fully unconscious and just literally can't defend himself cause his body isn't functioning correctly, Mir seems to have the same thing. You can't will your body to move correctly, it always looked like it just takes longer for them to recover from being rocked than most people, they are trying it's just not something you can make happen via willpower.
Yeah I get what you mean. Sometimes it seems like he’s just so rocked his brain is short circuiting. But normally when your brain stops consciously working you have two options, flight or fight. And it seems deep down Overeem always chose flight over fight. Despite getting KO’d anyway, it never seemed like he went down fighting. Him literally running away from Sergei sticks out in my mind.

He was also a front runner and Ubereem fought like a bully. He was tough when he was in control but the moment he got tired or faced adversity he literally wilted. Bigfoot, Travis Browne. Idk there’s was a couple where it felt like that.

This Shogun in his prime, he was never the same after get his arm broken by Mark Coleman. This Shogun could probably been the best fighter that ever lived imo.

Would've loved to seen Fedor vs. Shogun in 2005 at open weight. That would have been a fight for the ages.

Yeah I get what you mean. Sometimes it seems like he’s just so rocked his brain is short circuiting. But normally when your brain stops consciously working you have two options, flight or fight. And it seems deep down Overeem always chose flight over fight. Despite getting KO’d anyway, it never seemed like he went down fighting. Him literally running away from Sergei sticks out in my mind.

He was also a front runner and Ubereem fought like a bully. He was tough when he was in control but the moment he got tired or faced adversity he literally wilted. Bigfoot, Travis Browne. Idk there’s was a couple where it felt like that.
He chose fight plenty of times, it generally resulted in him being TKOed. Watch his Pride fights. The only times he has been able to recover from being rocked is when he is able to get away for a bit to let his body stop short circuiting. That's not a heart thing that's a nervous system issue and him realizing it and adjusting to it to give himself the best chance to recover when hurt so he has a chance to win.

The Bigfoot fight and the Browne fight are examples that prove my point, in both of those fights he chose fight rather than to create space to recover and because of that he got TKOed. You criticize him for running but it's generally been the only way he has ever been able to recover from being rocked and win. I want to say both Nelson and Hunt had him hurt but he ran and covered up till he recovered and won both fights, had he chosen to fight while rocked he probably would have been finished by both like he normally does when he tries to attack while rocked.

Last edited:
I think as a striker he's definately better than Reem ever was at 205 and maybe at HW as well but 205 Reem was also a pretty strong grappler.

Yea Shogun from the Machida fights was the same guy who lost to Forrest...

🤡🐀

the Shogun who beats Griffin is the same Shogun that loses to Griffin. <lol>

Ted Dibiase would figure-four leglock any LHW in history.

Oh, I read that wrong.

i think it was Ric Flair the one with the figure 4 finish.

This Shogun in his prime, he was never the same after get his arm broken by Mark Coleman. This Shogun could probably been the best fighter that ever lived imo.

Would've loved to seen Fedor vs. Shogun in 2005 at open weight. That would have been a fight for the ages.

this, knee surgeries or not the broken arm in the Coleman's fight sets a line between the Shogun old fans remember and praise and the incosistent ufc Shogun.

Last edited:
LOL, no. Rampage looked terrible in that fight and would've lost to tons of current and past LHWs. He looked like he didn't want to be in the ring. Shogun's only prayer against Poatan would be taking the fight to the ground, but Poatan is considerably bigger and would likely stay on his feet at this point.

Alex ground game is Boo Boo lol. Shogun would easily out grappled him and tire him.

As soon as the fight is over Rampage points to his chest and is trying to tell his corner something is broken. I can’t believe these 2 never crossed paths again
Rampage asked Dana to fight Shogun in Japan at 144. That should have happened but that war with Hendo put him on the shelf for it

Back