• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Shogun vs Rampage full fight

Jan spent plenty of time on the feet with Poatan without getting knocked. I'm pretty sure so could Shogun. I also don't think Poatan would have much in the clinch for Shogun.
Jan does tend to be a lot less aggressive than Pride Shogun, if you were talking UFC champ Shogun were he focused more on technical kickboxing thats very different though but of course his grappling wasnt as strong by that point although still maybe strong enough to threaten Alex or at least be a significant factor.

Last edited:
Yes Shoguns performances a year after knee surgery were superior to his performances a few months after knee surgery.

Imagine that.

🤡
I think thats worth noting, the knee injuries did almost certainly have long term effects on Shogun, the 3rd ACL injury especially I think he was never nearly as quick afterwards BUT you also had a short term effect.

Shogun rushed back both times, against Coleman he was out 18 months but that was after 2 ACL ops not one and against Jones he was out for 12 months, most other fighters(GSP and Khabib come to mind) it would be mor elike 18 months for a single injury/surgery/recovery.

I think you see vs Coleman 2 and Jones that Shogun's cardio was really bad, both of those fights he was badly gassed after 1 round, likely a result of only having got back to full training relatively recently.

I think thats worth noting, the knee injuries did almost certainly have long term effects on Shogun, the 3rd ACL injury especially I think he was never nearly as quick afterwards BUT you also had a short term effect.

Shogun rushed back both times, against Coleman he was out 18 months but that was after 2 ACL ops not one and against Jones he was out for 12 months, most other fighters(GSP and Khabib come to mind) it would be mor elike 18 months for a single injury/surgery/recovery.

I think you see vs Coleman 2 and Jones that Shogun's cardio was really bad, both of those fights he was badly gassed after 1 round, likely a result of only having got back to full training relatively recently.

Yup.

Being out for 6 months your cardio and overall training intensity won't be anywhere close to what it is after you have been back for a year after knee surgery.

Ya people sleep on that cuz he amazingly beat the Machida who'd never lost a round despite those knee injuries.

2005 Shogun would've been a problem for Jones or DC IMO

Flattered a little, Quinton says he went in injured which got exacerbated by the knees, causing him to fight exclusively defensively and kinda quit :(

Ya people sleep on that cuz he amazingly beat the Machida who'd never lost a round despite those knee injuries.

2005 Shogun would've been a problem for Jones or DC IMO
I suspect he shifted style around that point in part because he's already lost some agility for grappling compared to his Pride run but he was still pretty quick standing were as after the 3rd op he never really used the same kind of movement again, became more of a brawler again.

Last edited:
Yes Shoguns performances a year after knee surgery were superior to his performances a few months after knee surgery.

Imagine that.

🤡
No, his performance against Machida (who was in top form and actually trying, unlike Rampage) was technically better than any of the brawling he did in Pride.

Rampage during that time was mentally off. He would get these religious moments.

Why are people still debating this? Rampage has said on multiple occasions that Shogun broke his rib early in the fight and he couldn't do anything. Shogun also said that he knew Rampage's rib was broken.

I know this is hard to believe, but it's pretty fucking hard to fight with a broken rib.

No, his performance against Machida (who was in top form and actually trying, unlike Rampage) was technically better than any of the brawling he did in Pride.

Yea Shogun from the Machida fights was the same guy who lost to Forrest...

🤡🐀

Last edited:
I remember pulling for Forrest in their first fight and being shocked as hell that he won.
I was so pissed off lol. The awesome @76Knockout would flick shit at me every now and then, but it was a good performance for Forrest.

Shogun lost to Griffin after coming off a knee surgery and historically always fought poorly right after his knee surgeries. He absolutely smashed Forrest in the rematch.

The guy from the Machida fights wasn't the same guy who lost to Forrest and you know this.
And you know Poatan is the shit and could also KO Shogun. He ain't no easy fight for nobody. Glover would have him prepared for his jiujitsu shenanigans

And you know Poatan is the shit and could also KO Shogun. He ain't no easy fight for nobody. Glover would have him prepared for his jiujitsu shenanigans

Poatan can KO anyone and is a fun fighter but that doesn't mean that UFC fanboys aren't overly euphoric about him. Shogun at his very best was better than him and better than Jan and Jiri too and would have beaten Poatan more times than not. Poatan was getting out grappled by Izzy in the first fight and lost to old ass journey man Jan but if you read the comments in this thread the fanboys are acting like him vs Shogun is a close fight or they favor Poatan.

Delusional UFC fanboys euphoric about the flavor of the month.

Last edited:
I always liked seeing rampage get his ass kicked

Yea Shogun from the Machida fights was the same guy who lost to Forrest...

🤡🐀
Yep, Shogun was never consistent nor was ever close to being a GOAT like his cult followers think. He also got submitted by Babalu years before Forrest or Chael submitted him...and long before his little knees hurt.

I'm done, as I'm the only one being rational or objective here. You're way too caught up in emotion and nostalgia.

Yep, Shogun was never consistent nor was ever close to being a GOAT like his cult followers think. He also got submitted by Babalu years before Forrest or Chael submitted him...and long before his little knees hurt.

I'm done, as I'm the only one being rational or objective here.

Anyone who claims they're being "rational and objective" while saying that the Shogun in the Machida fights was the same guy who lost to Forrest isnt rational or objective at all.

Very "objective" of you to bring up Shoguns loss to Babalu in his 5th pro fight when Babalu was one of the best LHWs in the world at the time with a record of 23-5. What you are is a rat and a clown.

Youre downplaying the significance of a fighters performance immediately after a knee reconstruction and how much that can affect their training intensity and endurance in their very first fight back.

You're clearly a couch potato who has zero real life experience in sports or combat sports, downplaying an injury like that just to prove a point to a stranger on the internet.

Shameless ass UFC fanboy and a weirdo. Anyone reading your posts can objectively see this.

🐀🤡

Last edited:
Back