• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shogun DID! get knocked down with a JAB VLADY style(Round 1)

SCIRCA

King of Kings
@purple
Reaction score
First minute of the fight, i thought it was a right hand but it was a jab, man this boy packs power. So for those who say round 1 goes to Shogun, it was Gustafsson who won that round. Chute Boxe Hero is going to make the GIF so check him out in the Shogun won or draw Thread.

Gustafsson didn't get dropped, that was a slick takedown that followed the mediocre straight right.

But retarded, delusional, Shogun fans are going to be retarded and delusional to the end, I guess.

Gustafsson didn't get dropped, that was a slick takedown that followed the mediocre straight right.

But retarded, delusional, Shogun fans are going to be retarded and delusional to the end, I guess.

1, 2, and 5!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe people are claiming gusto dropped shogun when if you replay the fight(DVR people if your fight fans this is a must) you can clearly see shogun loses his balance after throwing the kick. The right from gus doesnt even land and the jab barly gets through. I for one cant wait for the gif so people can see that they are wrong. That being said Gus got a great win tonight and it was an exciting preformance from both. That being said I dont think gus is ready just yet and i think he should fight the winner of glover vs rampage or rashad vs lil nog for the next shot, after hendo vs machida and it would line up prefectly for everyone.

I cant believe people are claiming gusto dropped shogun when if you replay the fight(DVR people if your fight fans this is a must) you can clearly see shogun loses his balance after throwing the kick. The right from gus doesnt even land and the jab barly gets through. I for one cant wait for the gif so people can see that they are wrong. That being said Gus got a great win tonight and it was an exciting preformance from both. That being said I dont think gus is ready just yet and i think he should fight the winner of glover vs rampage or rashad vs lil nog for the next shot, after hendo vs machida and it would line up prefectly for everyone.

Ya he was off balance from throwing a kick.

It's only like two people trying to claim it as a KD though.

What's with you fuckers and hating on jabs.
You can put a lot of power in a jab.

Ya he was off balance from throwing a kick.

It's only like two people trying to claim it as a KD though.

Pff Shogun was out cold. He woke back up, when his head hit the ground. :redface::icon_twis:icon_chee

Pff Shogun was out cold. He woke back up, when his head hit the ground. :redface::icon_twis:icon_chee

im sure he was knocked out at least 3 times by that punch :cool:

if i could only count higher.. maybe twas more

What's with you fuckers and hating on jabs.
You can put a lot of power in a jab.

No one is hating on jabs but the chances of dropping someone who has their chin down and guard up with a jab is highly unlikly. Yes the jab does get through the guard but it hits shoguns arms first. It was a slip and is as clear as day if you play it in slowmo. PS its not like shogun was like forrest or okami vs anderson with thier chin up, hands low, and coming foward. Gus has tons of power just watch his fight vs matyushenko but ya he didnt drop shogun with that jab or follow up right.

Last edited:

I think you need glasses bro, I rewatched that fight 4 times(that moment has been rewinded about 8-12 times) now to make sure if I was wrong, he did get dropped by the jab. It was before shogun threw the kick. It was square on the chin. Plus you hear a loud SOUND after it. Once ChuteBoxeHero makes the GIF of it, you'll see. Also speed plus power plus your opponent jumping to it plus pinpoint accuracy placement = power Jab. Without his opponent jumping to it, it wouldnt have been as effective in terms of knockdown.

Clearly lost his balance while throwing a kick. Just because Rogan screams it was a knock down doesn't mean it's true

No one is hating on jabs but the chances of dropping someone who has their chin down and guard up with a jab is highly unlikly. Yes the jab does get through the guard but it hits shoguns arms first. It was a slip and is as clear as day if you play it in slowmo. PS its not like shogun was like forrest or okami vs anderson with thier chin up, hands low, and coming foward. Gus has tons of power just watch his fight vs matyushenko but ya he didnt drop shogun with that jab or follow up right.

Oh, that was just a general statement of what people seem to think of jabs.
A jab didn't drop Shogun, Shogun kicking and Gus coming in with strikes basically pushed Shogun over.

People can hate on Shogun for a for a lot of things, but he generally covers up relatively well and keeps his chin tucked, only big issue with it is how open he leaves himself to uppers.

It was a KNOCKDOWN, period. Sherdog's own Play-by-Play writers are calling it this, Brian Stann on Fox Sports is saying the same, and so on. I've seen the video footage a good 10 times now and in no way was it a "slip" or was he shoved, he was punched and fell down (dropped).

How it happened: Shogun telegraphed his leg kick setup and as he did this Gustafsson threw his lead left jab and connected as Shogun's leg was initiated/STARTING to rise in order to throw the leg kick. In the process Shogun was also caught with a right cross since Alex threw a perfectly timed 1-2 combination before Shogun could even get his leg kick off. You can say Shogun was "off balance" all you want but he stumbled and fell on his back. He got caught at just the right time and timing is HUGE when it comes to both knockdowns and knockouts.

Last I checked if you strike (punch in this case) a person and they fully fall down to the ground then it counts as a knockdown. It wasn't Gustafsson's power that did it, it was the timing, speed, and accuracy of the jab and the cross that followed directly after it.

From Sherdog's PBP:

A jab didn't drop Shogun, Shogun kicking and Gus coming in with strikes basically pushed Shogun over.

A punch pushed Shogun over? LOL. It was a one-two combination dude, a lead left jab followed directly by a right cross. Alex landed the jab before Shogun even had that kick off. Even if the kick was in the midst of landing (or not) being punched and falling down = knockdown. Don't be ridiculous. Gustafsson's TIMING and precision is what made this possible, he capitalized the split second he saw Shogun setting up his leg kick (which was telegraphed).

Back