Shocknife: 7,500 volts in a knife

JohnsCurry

White Belt
Reaction score
[YT]http://youtu.be/DYGUoZyJs18[/YT]

I think I embedded that right? http://youtu.be/DYGUoZyJs18

EDIT: 75,000 volts. My bad.

So we all know that plastic floppy knives don't work for self defense, and a real knife you can't train with without dying.

So what about a knife with 75,000 volts of electricity coming out of it? Its called "Shocknife" Do you think that would have any benefit to the self-defense minded martial artist?

You could go FULL force against someone, practice all the fancy disarms or whatever and see what works and what doesn't.

They only thing I could think of is you know in your head that its going to hurt bad, but you know you won't die, which may cause you to be more ballsy then if it were a real knife, and give a false sense of security and get you killed (which is why I would still run even if I did have some sort of magical knife training)

And to throw out the obvious, It's STILL the best idea to just run away from a knife, but would you try it? I personally think it'd be cool to have a couple laying around in my gym.

Last edited:
[YT]DYGUoZyJs18[/YT]

yeah i can see how it can be useful if you can afford it, lets you know right away if youre doing something bad, and people form stronger memories associated with pain.

I'd like to get one, and go to a Krav Maga place and say "Hey show me some knife disarming techniques" and pull out that knife.

Although I have seen some youtube videos of Krav places using those, but I'm sure they are the minority. Hey we could use air soft guns lol for the gun disarms. I'd have fun being the shooter. lol. I'd pass on the trying to disarm part. Thanks for helping me get that video on right btw :)

My school uses an old dildo. It belongs to my instructor's grandmother, who was once a high-end prostitute in her youth and is currently a low-end one. They make sure she uses it the night before class. Our discipline is classified as "Crabs Maga."

Ain't no one wanna get stabbed with that.

I'd like to get one, and go to a Krav Maga place and say "Hey show me some knife disarming techniques" and pull out that knife.

Although I have seen some youtube videos of Krav places using those, but I'm sure they are the minority. Hey we could use air soft guns lol for the gun disarms. I'd have fun being the shooter. lol. I'd pass on the trying to disarm part. Thanks for helping me get that video on right btw :)

We had a guy come in to our Judo class and want to show us weapon defenses. Having trained HEMA and some Escrima I know at least basic knife/dagger offense - I stabbed him and/or slashed his throat every time he had me attack him, haha. He got quite annoyed. :icon_lol:

So we all know that plastic floppy knives don't work for self defense, and a real knife you can't train with without dying.

Try training full contact with a hardwood dagger, or even a rattan stick. It isn't fun (well, it is fun but still . . .). Anyone who knows anything about fighting with a short blade will be looking to stab you in the liver, kidneys, armpit, inner thigh; or as a secondary attack to stabs - slash across your throat, top of the weapon hand or abdomen. None of those places are fun to get hit

We had a guy come in to our Judo class and want to show us weapon defenses. Having trained HEMA and some Escrima I know at least basic knife/dagger offense - I stabbed him and/or slashed his throat every time he had me attack him, haha. He got quite annoyed. :icon_lol:

Absolutely. Trained blade assault from someone who can fist fight anyway is way different than the dumpy attack self defense instructors tell you will come.

I've used one. The thing that freaks you it is the blue flame and crazy eelectric sound
that surrounds the blade. The shock sucks but it's really intimidating.

I'd love to have one but I think they are around $500 last I checked.

I've trained with one. Great for pressure testing, TERRIBLE for learning any new techniques.

Absolutely. Trained blade assault from someone who can fist fight anyway is way different than the dumpy attack self defense instructors tell you will come.

Definitely. I've yet to see any 'defense' that reliably holds up against the Sewing machine method.

Maybe a good De Ashi Barai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9IvBp90Upw

I'd like to train against one, sometime. Looks like it puts the 'fun' into a 'fundamentally terrifying situation'!

Definitely. I've yet to see any 'defense' that reliably holds up against the Sewing machine method.

I'd like to train against one, sometime. Looks like it puts the 'fun' into a 'fundamentally terrifying situation'!

If you put on gloves, hard forearm blocks with simultaneous punches to the face stop that shit almost immediately. Soon as you hurt them they will start trying to be clever with the knife, which means you can pick up a weapon or leg kick while you parry.

The sowing machine is just entry level aggression. It works against self defense in the same way brawling beats kung fu. You have to be able to meet the force with some force of your own. People can make you brawl.

A hard stab with the knife is vulnerable to a clashing forearm block which a lot of people can't take. When people are given a knife to attack with they usually drop their hands. If the person isn't teained well, just beating their ass immediately works. If they are trained, I'm not sure there are a ton of good solutions besides just fighting back and going for blood.

They are ok. I've used them a few times, 1x for a DogBros fight (duel) and a couple times in training.
It is more psychological. To shock you need to activate the button on the handle which is akward as you are slashing or thrusting...thus timing is an issue. The batteries also drain quickly.

I am of the view a rattan, wooden or metal drone is worse. Those have a good chance of breaking bones.

Look up Die Less Often. It specifically was designed for the the Sewing Machine

The name alone interests me. Bottom line, the gun and knife defenses aren't meant to make the average person safely disarm a trained, armed attacker. For all the bad press any sort of self defense moves get around here, more people should be asking themselves if they were cornered against an armed attacker, would you rather have seen and trained these defenses, or just curl up into a ball and hope the attacker doesn't really want to injure you?

That 6'2" 270# man gorilla doing the sewing machine is one of my guros.

^ Another shock knife video is another of my guros.

So I get slaughtered regularly.

The sowing machine is just entry level aggression. It works against self defense in the same way brawling beats kung fu. You have to be able to meet the force with some force of your own. People can make you brawl.

There's several variations. But the sewing machines pressure is its strength.

Having never been attacked, or seen a knife attack, I'm wondering why a hard Thai kick wouldn't be a good defense against a knife attack. The attacker is holding the knife in his right hand, wouldn't a Thai kick to his left side be devastating enough? From my understanding, you have more reach with your legs, and they probably wouldn't expect it. Wouldn't the attacker just.. fall down, or at least be stunned by the kick, giving you enough time to run?

Having never been attacked, or seen a knife attack, I'm wondering why a hard Thai kick wouldn't be a good defense against a knife attack. The attacker is holding the knife in his right hand, wouldn't a Thai kick to his left side be devastating enough? From my understanding, you have more reach with your legs, and they probably wouldn't expect it. Wouldn't the attacker just.. fall down, or at least be stunned by the kick, giving you enough time to run?

IMO, kicks are a bad idea - you don't want to expose your inside leg to someone with a blade. Getting stabbed in the femoral artery = game over.

It just depends on who you are fucking with.

Back