Shinyu Gushi RIP

Azam

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For those that haven't heard & also since I haven't seen a post regarding this, but for all those that don't know Shinyu Gushi a great karateka and a legend in my eyes, passed away in late november.

I've been meaning to post this prior but got busy in the lead up to christmas. A great old-school karateka and was also a dream of mine to train with him unfortunately won't happen since his passing & also the reason why I have huge respect for uechi-ryu.

It's a great loss to the Karate world. RIP.

Yes, we have lost several influential masters this year. The two that come to mind most readily are Taika Oyata and Shinyu Gushi. It is certainly a great loss to the martial arts community--even if you don't subscribe to traditional karate, these men had a great deal of skill and knowledge to pass on.

Yeah it's sad to see old legends who really live & breath the martial arts ethos pass away, especially Shinyu Gushi who was there around the time of and trained with Kanmei Uechi, Saburo Uehara, Seiyu Shinjo & his master Seiko Itokazu - and there before the belt system was introduced.

Watching him perform Sanchin even on video is a treat to watch.

Back