Media Shinya Aoki loses to Saygid Izagakhmaev at One 163

In hindsight, it’s clear Aoki was overrated, yet I always held him in high regard because of his grappling and strength. The Akiyama fight was such a low point that I don’t think there are many fights I would pick Shinya to win.

He should be considering retirement, not coming back. Dude has been fighting since 2003, and has like 60 pro fights.

Looked awful in his last two bouts, one of them against an ancient Sexyama

He has given us so many great fights and moments, but I don’t want to see him hang around too long like Sakuraba, get beaten up for 10+ years and then get tool’d in his final fight like…Aoki did to Saku. I have a feeling he will. Fighting is his world.

Any fighter he faces will know — much more than ever — that Aoki can’t take a punch and will turtle up if you turn up the heat. The conditioning isn’t there, either.

He should be considering retirement, not coming back. Dude has been fighting since 2003, and has like 60 pro fights.

Oh, I mean as in I believe that he will get a few more wins before he retires kind of thing.

Legends challenge impossible and continue to inspire people with crazy proposals.

Aoki, renzo, couture

Dillon Danis called out Jon Jones to make him look he belongs there but he only said it.

Aoki should do like most of old japanese dudes do: fight only cans with no bjj experience just because the japanese audience loves a grappler

lol at people saying Aoki sucks for losing to Saygid. Come on. Izagakhmaev is an elite level guy who is a weight class bigger than where Aoki should be.

In hindsight, it’s clear Aoki was overrated, yet I always held him in high regard because of his grappling and strength. The Akiyama fight was such a low point that I don’t think there are many fights I would pick Shinya to win.
He isn't overrated, he was a genuine top 10 fighter for a decade. Not bad when you consider that he should have been fighting at featherweight.

He isn't overrated, he was a genuine top 10 fighter for a decade. Not bad when you consider that he should have been fighting at featherweight.

I’m talking about in hindsight. Not taking away his rankings, but all those fantasy match-ups would’ve ended badly for him.

Aoki has been passed his prime for a long time now, doesn't mean he was overrated when he was in his prime.

I’m talking about in hindsight. Not taking away his rankings, but all those fantasy match-ups would’ve ended badly for him.

Newer fans always act like anyone with good wrestling and striking would always beat Aoki but if that were the case Aoki would have lost to JZ, Alvarez both times, Hansen both times and Kawajiri but that's not what happened.

Aoki has been knocked out brutally multiple times. Needs to hang up the gloves before CTE sets in.

Saygid would have been a horrible style match up for Shinya even in his prime.
I think that's taking it a bit too far. I mean, the guy got tapped by Carlston Harris so there's a good chance prime Aoki would catch him in something as well.

This result is pretty meaningless in terms of how that matchup would've played out since Shinya has been shot for a good while now.

Back