Shin question

feedmelies

You done goof'd
@red
Reaction score
After a nice bag session (especially after emphasizing low kicks), my shin gets a little tender. Oddly enough, I

Honestly, it's probably just a part of conditioning. Tenderness is to be expected at first because you aren't used to it. When I first started throwing shin kicks I hate these dark black bruises (not dark blue, literally black) about three inches wide on most of both sides of my shin.

Granted, part of that was because I was kicking improperly and not listening to the instructions the trainers gave me, but part of it also was that I was just getting used to it. I would aks your coach about it, if he doesn't think it's anything serious then I wouldn't worry about it.

i'd bet it's just part of the conditioning process. i wouldn't worry about it but i'd ask my trainers about it just to be sure.

Ahh, shin conditioning. I started MT when I was 15, did it for about 2 years and had developed strong conditioned shins. I stopped for 2 years because I was focusing on other things and just recently went back. My shins have become unconditioned over the last few years and I could hardly walk after the first few classes. It sucks.

the first thing which springs to mind is that you have insufficient hip flexibility and that as you kick this is causing your leg to turn so the toes are pointing upwards rather than turned down slightly from horizontal. I remember reading an article by a famous thai coach (could have been master sken but not sure) where he said that the reason some people have suffered broken shins is for the same reason and they're hitting so that the shin is thin in direction of pressure and so will break more easily.

be very careful, that is a weakspot. the inside of the shin is
very dangerous to your health.

make sure you hit with the front of the shin, so turn your hips more, bend your
leg more.

I have a similar question, maybe a thread hijack, if it is, im sorry.

Been doing MT for 4-5 months now, never encoutered problems with full power kicks on the heavy bag, both legs. recently, me and my buddy were fooling around a bit and i threw a lead kick to his inner thigh. He shielded it, but my shin guard was low and i hit him about 5 inches below the shin guard. Needless to say, it hurt like a bitch, a bit of swallowing but nothing too serious.

Of course, me being a idiot, i had to get revenge. We removed the shin guards for conditionning, when that was done, i feeded him a thai kick, maybe 30% power. Of course, he shielded it. It hit him with the middle of my leg, facing straight 90 degree angle. Now that hurt a lot more, but i took it. Now, i woke up the morning and i passed my fingers over the sore spot, i tell, my bone caved in! I feel like there is only the muscle on the front of my leg then the bone caved in for maybe 1inch in lenght and 1/16 in depth, then then i can feel it.

How is that possible. It hurts a bit if i press at that spot, but nothing too serious. I didnt feel anything at that time, i even went for 25-30 kicks on the bag and i didnt feel anything at the time. SHould i go get x-rays or something?

Yes, you should go see a doctor and possibly get x-rays if he deems it necesary.

Hehe don't worry about the spot that went in if you find any MT guys about 1 in 5 have em. Your supposed to condition your shins on the pad then with pads leg to leg but never shin to shin. For me and a lot of my trainin partners all we had to do was occasionally take a hard ass knock on the shin occasionaly and it doesnt strengthen the shin it just desensatizes Sp?? the nerves on top of the bone. So the next time u take the hard knock it hurts but not that deep throbbin pain that hurts when u put pressure on that leg. Oddly enough the incident that i noticed a change after wasnt trainin i just ran into a trailor hitch on the back of a truck in a parkin lot on accident and i hit it flush with the middle of shin. Surely enough my right shin was way tougher after that cause when i kicked the heavy bag it never ever hurt anymore at all at full power.

If you are hitting with the shin correctly then it's most likely muscle pain, I get this sometimes. If you run and skip you sometimes use muscles or use muscles in a way that the body is not used to. What happens is known as shin splints, sounds real nasty, but it's just muscle ache I think. It goes with a week rest or two weeks light work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back