Shields has better MMA BJJ than Maia

Shields is good enough to defend himself competently against Maia. But Maia actually got his back and was always looking to attack off his back.

He's better at exploiting the utterly broken rule set.

Maia secured 3 takedowns vs 1, had Shields' back 3 times vs 0, 2 submission attempts vs 0, and each guy spent almost identical amount of time on top. Shields never got past Maia's half-guard, and only landed one hard strike from there, a short elbow. If it were a pure grappling competition with objective criteria the decision wouldn't have even been close.

Nah, it was pretty clear last night that Maias BJJ is superior. Shields may have better wrestling and he defenitely has better stand-up.

Nah, it was pretty clear last night that Maias BJJ is superior. Shields may have better wrestling and he defenitely has better stand-up.

How does he have better wrestling? Maia took him down more and stuffed more of his takedowns.

Shields style is tailor-made to win points in a MMA match . If that's better MMA BJJ, then I agree

seems like maia over commited to attacking and shields reversed then just held on. if maia played the conservative game he could have been in top control more and theirefore edging the fight.

did maia get even one dominant position the entire fight?

In most expert opinions Shields won or it was a draw. Maia didn't do nothing.

Maia got Jake's back twice. Maia didn't do much but he did more than Shields.

No one dominated that fight. Very close one. Bjj points showed Maia held more dominant positions (back mount multiple times) while shields landed on top in guard for longer time periods, earning rounds in the match.

Perhaps then you forgot all the part where Shields hit a reversal or a sweep which in BJJ earns you points.
And anyways, its MMA not BJJ. If you're on top and landing elbows, you're scoring, wether you're inside the guard or not.
Shields spent more time on top and landed more on the feet, though he landed with less power.

I thought Maia edged it in the stand up too, to be honest.

While BJJ had little to do with the outcome and clinch work/top control did, Shields was passing guard more, while Maia had trouble doing so at all and was reversed. Shields looked to be physically stronger.

He's got great stifling top control and is able to neutralize others...but not necessarily threatening much either

Haven't watched the full fight just yet (fell asleep shortly after the second, more because I was tired than the fight was boring though) and if a judge gave the first to Shields... well, that's just dumb. From what I saw, Maia should have been a clear winner in the first, Shields did jack despite having a little time on top, and Maia was far more active.

I don't get that simply being in top control means you're dominant. If all you're doing is surviving sub attempts, and you can't pass the guard, fucking score it for the guy on his back, because he's the guy that's being the most threatening. Not based on this fight, but just in general- I hate when a guy is being active and attacking and not getting rewarded. If he's taking some GnP for his trouble, sure- but I agree that guard should be neutral, and the guy that's active is the guy that gets scored.

The whole LnP thing needs to be cut out, because it really is bullshit. The judging is ruining fights, because with good wrestlers realising they can just take a guy down and avoid taking damage to win fights, it's really hard to stop that.

When I spar in Judo, I can defend subs all day against even the most experienced guy without much difficulty. But as soon as I open up to attack, that's when I get caught. If your only goal is defence, it's pretty easy to defend, and if you just defend top control for 5 minutes and win the round based on that- it's lame as shit. You're not fighting, you're playing the infamous Schaub neutralisation game.

did maia get even one dominant position the entire fight?

In most expert opinions Shields won or it was a draw. Maia didn't do nothing.

Most definitely. He took Shields down a couple of times, especially in the 1st round. Worked from the back, tagged him a bit...

Did Shields ever get even one dominant position the entire fight?

IMO Maia won rounds 1,4, and 5.

Maia tried to get Shields' back twice, both times he was reversed immediately. I fail to see why people continue to mention that as if it was a good thing for Maia.

37lg.gif

right.....?

haha why dont people say this before the fight - people look backward to the last fight and thats all they know, it seems

Well, I guess this poster wanted this statement read as a fact based upon actual events, and not as a prediction based solely upon statistics on paper? :)

Haven't watched the full fight just yet (fell asleep shortly after the second, more because I was tired than the fight was boring though) and if a judge gave the first to Shields... well, that's just dumb. From what I saw, Maia should have been a clear winner in the first, Shields did jack despite having a little time on top, and Maia was far more active.

I don't get that simply being in top control means you're dominant. If all you're doing is surviving sub attempts, and you can't pass the guard, fucking score it for the guy on his back, because he's the guy that's being the most threatening. Not based on this fight, but just in general- I hate when a guy is being active and attacking and not getting rewarded. If he's taking some GnP for his trouble, sure- but I agree that guard should be neutral, and the guy that's active is the guy that gets scored.

The whole LnP thing needs to be cut out, because it really is bullshit. The judging is ruining fights, because with good wrestlers realising they can just take a guy down and avoid taking damage to win fights, it's really hard to stop that.

When I spar in Judo, I can defend subs all day against even the most experienced guy without much difficulty. But as soon as I open up to attack, that's when I get caught. If your only goal is defence, it's pretty easy to defend, and if you just defend top control for 5 minutes and win the round based on that- it's lame as shit. You're not fighting, you're playing the infamous Schaub neutralisation game.

My feelings exactly.

Back